doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

12 hours ago, Berthil said:

I think we, and especially you, have already done a great job here, specifically with the rotary dumper. I will be taking it to an international non LEGO related event next week and use it in a loop with two trains to bring balls back from end to start in a chain of 4 GBCs. Next to that I have the narrow track layout with scissor lift loader to place as a GBC module in chain of GBCs for LEGO World. So I'm already very happy with what we have achieved and not looking for more train modules. Akiyuki himself has abandoned the train system and never got beyond his 'debut' layout despite all the work he has put in with train version 1 and 2 modules.

Thank you for your comments, I do realise that my new train GBC modules will probably not be used by many but I enjoy the challenge of building them.

12 hours ago, Berthil said:

If anything new of train loading I could imagine two parallel container loading stations where the train would return an empty one and then loop to fetch the full one and of course ball stream would be redirected accordingly. With two trains running and passing module this would overcome slow loading time issues. So train arrives with empty container at left side and empty container gets lifted up from train after switch engages at highest point to redirect ball stream to this container.  Train without container leaves and get full container on other side to bring to unloader module. Meanwhile other train comes back from unloader module to get rid of his empty container to empty container filling spot. Just a short thought with huge impact on free spare time :)

Interesting idea !!
Can you provide a simple sketch for a possible layout for this ?

Note the side swing loader can handle 30 balls per cycle and should be able to be speeded up.

Edited by Doug72

Slow Speed Rotor for Train Reverser:

For the Side Swing Train loader I required a slow speed trip rotor to achieve this to allow time for arm to swing back & forth.

Have now developed a way to change the rotation rotor speed using the original reverser design which had a rotor speed of 24:1, by using some external gears.

This modification now allows this to be easy to change to get various speeds.

1st stage is 8/24 = 3:1

2nd stage:
16/16 = 72:1

12/20 = 120:1

8/24  = 216;1

see photo which explains how

46823672635_0d27e0a843_c.jpg

Edited by Doug72

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:14 AM, Doug72 said:

Thanks for that, checked the file and one crucial part is not shown.
i.e. the 2L worm gear that engages with the 24T gear that drives the trip rotor.

Doug,  I have made my own improvement to your already wonderful train car.  When I updated to the L motor I found 2 problems.  the first is that the gear on the motor tried to force itself away from the driven gear due to the increase in torque.  I have solved this with the use of a  99773 triangular lift arm and now for my second problem is the (2) 15L lift arms for the frame are wanting to spread apart causing the gears on the final drive to slip.  I am also working on this but have not got it resolved yet.   Sorry for the poor pictures but have been too busy to do it correctly.

IMG_5126.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG.f9b8b56c3f208ecfe76ee4fe84cd0e23.JPG

1 hour ago, RickBobbie5 said:

Doug,  I have made my own improvement to your already wonderful train car.  When I updated to the L motor I found 2 problems.  the first is that the gear on the motor tried to force itself away from the driven gear due to the increase in torque.  I have solved this with the use of a  99773 triangular lift arm and now for my second problem is the (2) 15L lift arms for the frame are wanting to spread apart causing the gears on the final drive to slip.  I am also working on this but have not got it resolved yet.   Sorry for the poor pictures but have been too busy to do it correctly.

Strange not had any problems like those you describe.

Checked both of mine and only found that the “L” brackets that support the non drive end had spread a bit probably when changing batteries. I have added an extra 1/2 bush on  the red 2L axles. 
See photo 2.

To stop the two 15L beams spreading remove the 6L axles with the four yellow half bushes and use two Lego 3L pin with friction & axle bush to connect through the 15L beams into the 2L pin connector. Has more friction to resist beams spreading apart - see photo 1

Also check that the train whels are not pushed too hard on the axles so that they bind on the 15L beams.

Photo 1

46880323045_d3b0ea0ed0_z.jpg

Photo 2

47007387434_f810f932fc_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

@RickBobbie5 

I had another look at your problems and conclude the main cause of the gears skipping is due to the spreading of the 15L beams.

Can’t see how the 99773 triangular lift arm stops prevents the gears slipping other than keeping the 12T single bevel gear (SBG) in place.

The 20T & 12 double bevel gears (DBG) cannot come apart but the 12T SBG could disengage from the 12T DBG if the 15L beams spread.

The method I used at each end prevents this i.e 3L pins with bush & 2L pin connector.

Doug

Here is my layout 1000km from home at a B2B plastics fair in Malmö, half of it train so sharing here :)
The dumper ran very well with Akiyuki carrier and my lower switch, cycle time 21 seconds with 7V Lithium battery pack!

Thank @Berthil for sharing this. Looks really nice! What kind of Battery pack did you use and how did you store it?

Edited by tismabrick

@tismabrick it's the LEGO Lithium battery pack (8878) which runs at 7V instead of 9V like the LEGO battery box with 6 AA batteries (https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-22734/Berthil/akiyuki-train-unit-rechargeable/). The trains did also run half to one hour longer with the Akiyuki carrier which runs lighter than the worm gear carrier.

I used all 5 trains and I have and funny thing was all 5 trains had hick-ups at different spots although all build the same:
Red one sometimes derailed at switch before passing station and had a 'bump' going from top of the lift to rotary dumper
White one sometimes derailed at entering the loader, whit train ran fastest of all trains
Yellow one sometimes needed a push entering or leaving the lift, seems it needed more power to drag over the orange liftarms.
Orange one, motor broke down. That's the second train motor going bust.
Green one actually ran fine everywhere

Edited by Berthil

Side Swing Loader MOC abandoned as proved imposible to get the timing right.

Here's a picture of a Real Swing Loader from Bygone days which hopefully will be restored in the future.

46916130465_bfc969cecb_z.jpg

Now working on a new non-train GBC module.

Edited by Doug72

I just completed the @MajklSpajkl Reverser Module with rubber bands. I followed instructions on the Stud.io program. While it shows every part, the building sequence is a bit out of synch. Sometimes it shows putting in a pin, and 5 steps later you have to disassemble a part so you can add a second pin. I found it best to look ahead about 10 steps to see what might cause  you to take apart a component just to add another part. But, it was complete and every part was clearly outlined and available in numerous different views. I had previously built the @Berthil Passing Module. Both of these modules perform faultlessly.  Now to order the final missing pieces for the Loader Conveyor, the Elevator with counter-weights, and the Rotary Dumper. I will be following @MajklSpajkl and @Berthil instructions. The Conveyor should be straight forward Akiyuki design. I will be traveling to New Jersey and New York for the next 10 days, so hopefully all my needed parts will be waiting for me when I get back home to Florida.

4 minutes ago, MajklSpajkl said:

@rskamen, I don't recall making any instructions, nor designing the reverser module. You've must have mistaken me for @Doug72 and @dunes.

Best regards.

Original rubberband modification by me & instructions on the Index page by @dunes

Edited by Doug72

3 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Original rubberband modification by me & instructions on the Index page by @dunes

My sincere apologies gentlemen. Credit is due to @Doug72 and @dunes. The reverser module works perfectly. Thank you for the modifications and the instructions. I will be following the work of @MajklSpajkl for the Elevator :)

This topic has been relatively quiet. I had been traveling for awhile. Back home now. I have completed 2 train units and they work perfectly. I have also completed @Berthil passing module and that too operates perfectly. I recently completed the Reverser module with rubber bands and it works perfectly. Yesterday I completed the Train Loader Conveyor. I have not had time to test it, but everything fits and it operates well. Now just have to tie it in to the track system and test it with a train unit, Next to build will be the @MajklSpajkl Elevator and then the Rotary Dumper. Once all of that is completed, I will tackle @Berthil Version 3 Ball Factory. These builds are depleting my retirement funds :)

2 hours ago, Berthil said:

@rskamen have fun!

I'm considering making a free step by step building instruction of my version of the Rotary Dumper like I did for the Ball Factory V3.
Is that okay for you @Doug72 and @MajklSpajkl?

That’s OK by me.

2 hours ago, rskamen said:

This topic has been relatively quiet. I had been traveling for awhile. Back home now. I have completed 2 train units and they work perfectly. I have also completed @Berthil passing module and that too operates perfectly. I recently completed the Reverser module with rubber bands and it works perfectly. Yesterday I completed the Train Loader Conveyor. I have not had time to test it, but everything fits and it operates well. Now just have to tie it in to the track system and test it with a train unit, Next to build will be the @MajklSpajkl Elevator and then the Rotary Dumper. Once all of that is completed, I will tackle @Berthil Version 3 Ball Factory. These builds are depleting my retirement funds :)

Good progress, I found the train system ate up a lot of parts needing several part orders.

Currently debugging my rope lift GBC module, loading gate made & OK but struggling to find a way to only allow only 15 balls to load each cycle.

It will be a stand alone module but capable to be driven by a train unit, if desired.

Edited by Doug72

5 hours ago, Berthil said:

@rskamen have fun!

I'm considering making a free step by step building instruction of my version of the Rotary Dumper like I did for the Ball Factory V3.

The BI for the Rotary Dumper would be a huge help. Of course, those involved would have to bless it as did @Doug72. @Berthil Any chance of close up photo's of your counter-weight system for the Elevator? I am intrigues by your system of wheels to guide the string that is attached to the weights. I find it fascinating. I have also downloaded all the latest versions of the BI for the Version 3 Ball Factory.

5 hours ago, Berthil said:

@rskamen have fun!

Sure, no problem at all.

I just completed the Elevator as modified by @Doug72 and @MajklSpajkl. Great job gentlemen. I used the worm gear drive and everything works perfectly. Thanks to @dunes and @Berthil for all you suggestions and input. I have not yet put any weights into the counter-balance, so that will have to wait for a trip to Home Depot. I will fill them with steel washers. Next project is the Rotary Dumper. Then my mini GBC Train Layout will be complete. So far I am extremely pleased with how everything is working and lining up with the Train Unit and other modules. I can already see the Version 3 Ball Factory in my future sooner rather than later.

13 hours ago, rskamen said:

I just completed the Elevator as modified by @Doug72 and @MajklSpajkl. Great job gentlemen. 

Thanks.
You are making good progress with this, looking forward to a video of your train GBC set up once the rotary dumper is built.

Edited by Doug72

3 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Thanks.
You are making good progress with this, looking forward to a video of your train GBC set up once the rotary dumper is built.

Give me a week or two. Busy doing Grandparent duties for a bit since school is on summer recess here in Florida. But I will at least start the Rotary Dumper in the next day.. 

Edited by rskamen

@Doug72 @dunes @MajklSpajkl and @Berthil I just completed the modified Rotary Dumper and in testing, it works perfectly. I have not run a train unit through it yet. The instructions, and the postings on this forum have been exceptional. @Berthil I also completed your counter-weight system for the Elevator unit. That too works perfectly. It is made up of a few different colors as I was scavenging for parts.  I am using 0.8mm nylon cord used for jewelry making and I think it is a bit too thin. It's incredibly strong, but it's difficult to keep threading it around the pulleys. Any suggestions? My daughter-in-law is flying to Florida tomorrow to spend the weekend house hunting. My son was transferred down here. My other 2 sons already live within a few minutes of me. Therefore I won't get a chance to put a layout together or post pictures until some time after the weekend. So far I am extremely pleased with the final results on all of the individual units and modules. If it all works once placed in a layout, I will move on to Version 3 of @Berthil Ball Factory.

Edited by rskamen

6 hours ago, rskamen said:

@Doug72 @dunes @MajklSpajkl and @Berthil I just completed the modified Rotary Dumper and in testing, it works perfectly. I have not run a train unit through it yet. The instructions, and the postings on this forum have been exceptional. @Berthil I also completed your counter-weight system for the Elevator unit. That too works perfectly. It is made up of a few different colors as I was scavenging for parts.  I am using 0.8mm nylon cord used for jewelry making and I think it is a bit too thin. It's incredibly strong, but it's difficult to keep threading it around the pulleys. Any suggestions? My daughter-in-law is flying to Florida tomorrow to spend the weekend house hunting. My son was transferred down here. My other 2 sons already live within a few minutes of me. Therefore I won't get a chance to put a layout together or post pictures until some time after the weekend. So far I am extremely pleased with the final results on all of the individual units and modules. If it all works once placed in a layout, I will move on to Version 3 of @Berthil Ball Factory.

re Nylon cord for counter weights system.
I find nylon cord to be very "springy" which doesn't like bends and tends to try and straighten again if not under tension.

I use cord used for hanging picture frames,  its about 1.5 mm dia. plaited and very flexible & strong.
Also find wedge wheels have a vey shallow groove so I use the LEGO Rim Narrow Ø18 x 7 and Pin Hole with Shallow Spokes (13971 / 56902) which has a deeper groove which keeps the cord in place better.