doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

1 hour ago, dunes said:

Try to open the LXF file with Lego Digital Designer. Sometimes Stud.io is making a small mess with LXF files. Part orientation ist wrong.

And yes 11L on page 48.

@dunes thanks for supplying that information.

My next GBC Train project:
I have decided that I don't have enough parts to build the Akiyuki Crane GBC Train module .
I will use elements from the control unit to time the train module I hope to build, which is to be based on a Russian Balanced Boat Lift.

I built your turntable or something very close to it today @Doug72 and it worked a treat.  My only concern is how much straight track run-up is needed to meet the height of the turntable.

Edited by Great Ball Pit

3 hours ago, Great Ball Pit said:

I built your turntable or something very close to it today @Doug72 and it worked a treat.  My only concern is how much straight track run-up is needed to meet the height of the turntable.

Managed to lower the turntable by 1L so top of the rails is approx. 4.5 L but still worked when 5.5L height.
Minimum is three track panels & works OK, 1st panel has to be horizontal with turntable & the other two sloping down to ground level track, Train able to climb the gradient OK.
Presume your train wheels have friction bands.

Edited by Doug72

7 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Managed to lower the turntable by 1L so top of the rails is approx. 4.5 L but still worked when 5.5L height.
Minimum is three track panels & works OK, 1st panel has to be horizontal with turntable & the other two sloping down to ground level track, Train able to climb the gradient OK.
Presume your train wheels have friction bands.

I lowered the turntable, and have the friction bands.  I will try the 2 track slope out next.

After some investment I now have 5 trains with rechargeable Lithium polymer (8878) so I can use 2 trains to return the balls from circuit end to circuit begin at events.
2 run with the passing module, other 2 recharge and 1 emergency spare to use in case of ceased motor or too early drained battery.
Two trains that have run about 120h both had a ceased M motor so keep a spare if you run events.

31907304988_b4f9138a34_c.jpg

4 hours ago, Berthil said:

After some investment I now have 5 trains with rechargeable Lithium polymer (8878) so I can use 2 trains to return the balls from circuit end to circuit begin at events.
2 run with the passing module, other 2 recharge and 1 emergency spare to use in case of ceased motor or too early drained battery.
Two trains that have run about 120h both had a ceased M motor so keep a spare if you run events.

Looking good and colourful.

Any sign of video of the LEGO World Utrecht with the GBC modules running  - only found one by Macio Arts but none of them running - just a veiw of  them all set up before the show opened.

Edited by Doug72

Thanks @Doug72
I know Maico had a lot of events after LEGO World and again this weekend, he just said he will be uploading next week.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:52 AM, Doug72 said:

My next GBC Train project:
I have decided that I don't have enough parts to build the Akiyuki Crane GBC Train module .
I will use elements from the control unit to time the train module I hope to build, which is to be based on a Russian Balanced Boat Lift.

Progress update:-

Train GBC MOC - Up & over transfer module:-

The Akiyuki GBC Train Crane concept of lifting the Ball hopper off the train, transferring it to the loading point & then returning it back onto the train is very complex and designed to use the Type 1 train.

As per earlier post I managed to devise a control module using the Type 2 Train, but I don’t have enough parts to build the rest of the Akiyuki crane module.
I set out to simplify this or come up with an alternative solution. After many failed ideas eventually come up with an up & over swing arrangement as seen in the video.
This idea is based on Russian Boat canal lift.
44025376630_15174e064a.jpg

To test this idea I used an M motor & PF switch to power the module in order to ensure ball hopper could be lifted off the train, transferred  & replaced once balls loaded back onto the train. Initial thoughts was to use parallelogram linkages to keep the lifting frame & ball hopper horizontal during the transfer but this did not work and hopper kept sliding off.

Hardest task was to get the train to enter the lifting frame correctly without jamming or tipping the frame.

The lifting frame now hangs on a single axle and lands on two horizontal beams at the train dock ensuring the train with hopper enters correctly.

Next step is to devise a control system powered by the train to carry out the following sequence which will require a reverser unit for the lifting arms & a trigger for train release.

1/. Train arrives with empty ball hopper into docking station and powers the operating mechanism.
2/. Lifting arms pick up the empty ball hopper and swings it up & over to the ball loading station.
3/. Balls loaded into hopper.
4/. Lifting arm transfers the hopper with balls back to the docking station and lowers it back onto the train.
5/. Drive now transfers to the system to actuate the train reversing trip.
6/. Train with loaded ball hopper departs.
7/. Lifting frame remains in position ready for next train arrival to start the next loading cycle.

Edited by Doug72

LEGO Great Ball Contraption GBC / Rube Goldberg at LEGO World 2018 in de Jaarbeurs in Utrecht, NL

Train GBC Elevator / Rotary Dumper can be seen on the video by Macio Arts from 24 min 20secs

Edited by Doug72

Hello all!

With the help of all contributing to this tread, I have managed to build this. I also have  the unloader and passing module. I will show this on a one day event here in Sweden Saturday together with Akiyuki's train modulke v1 and some other modules.

It has been a struggle and trial and error but with help from this tread I have managed to get it working fairly well. As you see I build on moduverse plates to get it running smooher on events. Thanks for all help. Since the picture was taken I have added the weight system by Doug

448792602_nygbc_liten.jpg.b69f0465085a45b4b50c18ca898f5b86.jpg

Edited by fury68

45 minutes ago, fury68 said:

Hello all!

With the help of all contributing to this tread, I have managed to build this. I also have  the unloader and passing module. I will show this on a one day event here in Sweden Saturday together with Akiyuki's train modulke v1 and some other modules.

It has been a struggle and trial and error but with help from this tread I have managed to get it working fairly well. As you see I build on moduverse plates to get it running smooher on events. Thanks for all help. Since the picture was taken I have added the weight system by Doug

Welcome to the Forum.
Looks good , have a succesful show and post some images of your set up at the show.
The weight system was not by me and was developed by  @MajklSpajkl and @Berthil

Edited by Doug72

Welcome @fury68

Have fun at the event and let us know how it went and if there are any learning points for us as events are the best testing grounds :)

Feedback on the Doug Dumper instructions... The rotating module will run foul of the ramp during rotation... I put in a small gap with the wall one side and on the other side I extended the funnel by one panel (see video).

Another tip... if you don't have a LEGO rubber band... I used a Loom Band from my Daughter and it worked really well ;) 

1 hour ago, alanburchill said:

Feedback on the Doug Dumper instructions... The rotating module will run foul of the ramp during rotation... I put in a small gap with the wall one side and on the other side I extended the funnel by one panel (see video).

Another tip... if you don't have a LEGO rubber band... I used a Loom Band from my Daughter and it worked really well ;) 

Thanks for the feedback, I to had issues with getting the rotating dumper from hitting the discharge ramp, my builddiffers a it discharges to the front not the side.
Re using Loom band to replace the Lego Rubber Band a good idea.

3 hours ago, alanburchill said:

Looks good. I already did about the same in my version that also discharges sideways. I don't use a gap but also extended a few liftarms that way.
Here still with the complicated Akiyuki lift switches later replaced by worm carrier.

43483258554_030a0a8e34_c.jpg

Edited by Berthil

Hello! Here is a short video from our event yesterday. The v2 train module worked almost perfect for 7  hours, There was a little problem with the passing module. It was  to lose attached on the moduverse plate, and the other problem was that it doesnt attached to the gear when entering att the lower plattform but I think that was because af low battery charge. Also the other train module performed very well and it was a succes.

17 minutes ago, fury68 said:

Hello! Here is a short video from our event yesterday. The v2 train module worked almost perfect for 7  hours, There was a little problem with the passing module. It was  to lose attached on the moduverse plate, and the other problem was that it doesnt attached to the gear when entering att the lower plattform but I think that was because af low battery charge. Also the other train module performed very well and it was a success.

Fantastic success - the video of the show is good.
I see you did use my counterweight set up with only one weight per side.
The passing module can be tempremental at times.

re entering at lower level, I found it best to make the access ramp shallower to make sure it gets over the hump.

I see the event was in Norrkopping, I used to berth there when discharging oil cargos when I worked at sea on tankers.

Doug.

Yes we were at a museum called museum of labor in some old industrial buildings were it use to be milling factories I think. We had 2400 visitors so it was quite many there.I will be building more of the modules for our big show in the spring. Thanks for all help i got from this tread no one mentioned and no one forgotten.

5 hours ago, fury68 said:

Hello! Here is a short video from our event yesterday. 

Nice collection of machines, trains seem to run well :thumbup:
I think your Rotary dumper carrier doesn't use the 24 to 8 gear modification as it runs rather slow. The other train must wait a long time.
With the 24 to 8 gear modification you only need one train to keep up with 1 ball per second and can leave out the passing module.
The bottom picture in the picture below shows the modification. Modification only works with counterweights but you have them.

30180320587_9d0f84e88d_c.jpg

Edited by Berthil
typos (as always)

13 hours ago, Berthil said:

Nice collection of machines, trains seem to run well :thumbup:
I think your Rotary dumper carrier doesn't use the 24 to 8 gear modification as it runs rather slow. The other train must wait a long time.
With the 24 to 8 gear modification you only need one train to keep up with 1 ball per second and can leave out the passing module.
The bottom picture in the picture below shows the modification. Modification only works with counterweights but you have them.

30180320587_9d0f84e88d_c.jpg

Thanks for your comments. I will try that mod, I didnt know about that I thougt it was the gears on the outside you changed. It was very many people that saw this and thought it was great. I will start building the other parts now so I get a full layout.

Train GBC Swing Up & Over Loader Update:

Progress has been very slow & frustrating with many failed ideas using a crank system.
Almost gave up but today success at last !!

Finally settled on the arrangement shown in the video using the curved gear quadrants with a reversing gear box to swing the loader arms between the ball loader point and the train car and back again. (approx 100º of swing)

Now tested using a L motor at slow speed and able to carry 20 balls OK, but needs some strengthening and proper support framing built instead of as built on a studded base plate.
Next step is to devise the drive from the train to the reverser unit to get best operating speed and synchronise train depart once ball carrier back in place.

The reversing gearbox unit is based on an GBC by Akiyuki module but adapted into a flat arrangement.
Took a long time to get the timing correct to allow for a short dwell at both positions to give time for balls to load and for train to depart.
The reverser uses a plain 3L red connector with a snap over action using a small shock absorber to achieve this otherwise the drive to the curved gear racks could disengage.
Drive from the reverser using two 8T gears meshing with two white 24T clutch gears also used to protect the gear system if anything jams.

Edited by Doug72

Since I'm still planning on building a GBC with pneumatics I think this module and crank system would be very suitable for pneumatics.

Pneumatics would have enough power and can be timed well with the pneumatics switch.

I would make a 100% LEGO pressure unit module to go with it, it would have a pressure switch because it doesn't have to make pressure all the time, only when the train is there. I already have eight of those costly blue V2 small pneumatic cilinders for the pressurizing unit.

Let's see where your module goes and I may convert it to a pneumatic module :) 

Edited by Berthil

3 hours ago, Berthil said:

Since I'm still planning on building a GBC with pneumatics I think this module and crank system would be very suitable for pneumatics.
Let's see where your module goes and I may convert it to a pneumatic module :) 

I wish you success with a pneumatic crank system.

Main problem I had trying to get a mechanical crank system to work was getting the full range of swing of approx. 100º from a crank arm connected to a rotating gear that turns constantly in one direction only.
Tried step up gearing & also the new gear rack with housing but both not successful. Was also hard to get the timing & dwell time correct.

The load on the swing arms varies especially as it passes over the top centre position and if there is any slack in the system it causes arms to drop and take up the slack.

Now started to build a better support structure for the two swing arm turntable pivots . At the moment only the gear rack on one side is driven by the reverser.  Both would be better, if I can install a drive through centre of the two T/Ts.

Edited by Doug72

Swing Loader GBC Train module:- Interrupter gear for train release.

The swing loader requires that the train drives it for the full cycle and then release the train once ball carrier is back on the train.
To do this has proved impossible to achieve using gearing alone.

The interrupter gear system will only power the train trigger when the loading cycle is complete.
I have tried to make this as compact as possible, operating linkage still to sort out.

46057598361_f80f0321ce.jpg

Swing loader now removed from the studded baseplate and stud-less framing used.
Biggest problem was lining up the train reverser module with the swing loader base frames using the standard Akiyuki connection.
To install the interrupter gear the train trigger unit will need moving out by 2L to allow room for the two separate drives to reverser & train trigger.
Now managed to install interrupter without shifting the train trigger unit.

45145935465_5e1c993f64_z.jpg

To accommodate the full range for the swinging arms the gear racks have to be mounted asymmetrically.

46057999711_5cb404a679_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Interrupter gear for train release.

Operating linkage now installed and tested, works well releasing the train car once ball carrier is back in place during the dwell time before the arms swing back again to loading dock.
Devising and installing was much easier than I thought it was going to be.

At the moment the train reverser rotor has four lobes and needs changing to two lobes to ensure no premature reversal as train re-enters again.

The interrupter clutch gear is not driven until the swing arm pushes down a rod to move the red driving ring into engagement with the grey 16T clutch gear that drives the train reverser.
A blue rubber band is used to return it to the normal non driven position.

Some fine tuning required for the interrupter and for the the ball carrying frame to ensure the train enters & exists OK.

Once done and tested I will post a video.

31135563567_22f9e07faa_z.jpg

44258409210_d878ff6dd0_z.jpg

44258409000_b20841b611_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72