doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

Unloader MOD - lifting frame.

As many who have built this module know, the entry of the train with hopper into the jaws is very tight and unless close attention is made when building and ensuring the track is level at point of entry the hopper can jam in the jaws or fail to enter.
Also some special parts are required for the end of the two jaws.

I set out to improve this with using stud less only, apart from the discharge shoot (in Ncl colours) which had to be re-designed to connect to the stud less beams etc.

Entry clearance now much improved but still holds hopper in correct orientation for the lifting & return cycle.

Edited by Doug72

On 10/11/2018 at 1:02 AM, MajklSpajkl said:

I am using these:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00TWFXCEA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H

Perfectly round and the same size.

Bought three boxes of 100 and got total of about 350. I guess they don't count very well :-)

Just an quicky, the order for these balls came today, I ordered 1 pack which had 152 balls....obviously more dyslexic than I am :laugh::tongue:
Regardless, these balls will be perfect to get me started in the world of GBC so thanks again for your suggestion.

They probably fill the boxes by weight, same as Lego do, which why you sometimes get extra small parts.

Edited by Doug72

2 hours ago, Doug72 said:

They probably fill the boxes by weight, same as Lego do, which why you sometimes get extra small parts.

Yes maybe, but 152 pcs in 100 pcs pack??? :-) Seems silly, but good for us ;-)

GBC Train Turntable.- original design by Jonas.

Previously I built a version of “Jonas” Turntable using a Lego Z60 turntable but this had problems with the 8T gear on the axle rubbing on the ends of the 4L gear racks with the train failing to engage on the racks when line up with the track, causing t/t to continue moving. Also train sometimes releases whist rotating.

On a normal reverser when the trigger reverses the train the 24T gear is held stationary by the ratchet allowing the 8T gear to set the train in motion and engage the gear racks.

——————————————————————————————

Mark 2 - Z60 turntable:-
I have come up with a modified version using a worm gear drive & a Z60 turntable along with an improved train stopper arrangement, which has enough weight to prevent early train release until it hits the trip roller.

When the stopper releases the train the worm drive holds the 24T gear stationary long enough for the 8T axle gear to act on the 24T gear setting the train in motion to engage with the rack allowing the train to exit the turntable.The gearing to drive the turntable requires a worm acting on one side of a 12T double bevel gear )DBG) & also a 12T single bevel gear. The other side of the 12T DBG drives the Z60 turntable. See image below. Run on extended test and so far very reliable. Can be configured for either 180º or 90 º turns.

45442616142_ac4b6ac130_z.jpg

44768717044_a34d4e57e3_z.jpg

43696536900_80b8738c5d_z.jpg

90º turn module plus Video
44788207614_2fd5c25b94_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72
added 90º video

On 10/15/2018 at 1:25 PM, Doug72 said:

Unloader MOD - lifting frame.

As many who have built this module know, the entry of the train with hopper into the jaws is very tight and unless close attention is made when building and ensuring the track is level at point of entry the hopper can jam in the 

I set out to improve this with using stud less only,...

I missed that post, sorry. Great work again Doug and on that rotating platform as well. It's true what you said about the original versions of the both contraptions and you succeeded improving them with exelence! Again I have to admit, I will grab on to your fine ideas :blush:

42 minutes ago, MajklSpajkl said:

I missed that post, sorry. Great work again Doug and on that rotating platform as well. It's true what you said about the original versions of the both contraptions and you succeeded improving them with exelence! Again I have to admit, I will grab on to your fine ideas :blush:

Thanks, I,ve now managed to lower the turntable module by further 1L.

Edited by Doug72

On 10/5/2018 at 8:43 PM, MajklSpajkl said:

Another weird thing is that my trains are derailing after they go through rail switch (passing module). I think it's something with the switch, but I don't have another to try it. It looks like"the heart" (I think that's how we call the part where to rails meet in kinda x shape part) is to high and the back axle of cart drives over it... I hope another switch, which I'll borrow, will make things right.

Re derailment problem:
I have been trouble shooting the passing module and suggest use some check rails & guard rail as shown in photo.
You could also put a check rail omn the curved section on same side as the small lego one on the next two sleepers.

Also found I had used the old style “type 1” 8T gear on axle with the 12T gear, used to cause train to move and engage with the racks when the trip arm stops it freely rotating - change to type 2 gears. Type 1 can jam in the pin hole due to its narrow collar.

Also removed some weight from the two trip arms that lock the 12T gears by removing the 2 x 6 plates Improved but still occasionally train doesn’t move.

44808304404_937376aba8.jpg

Edited by Doug72

31 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Re derailment problem:

I changed the rail switch and had no problem afterwards. But those guardrails are a nice solution as well.

So far I had no problem with the passing module, except the 6x1 plate that holds the inverted gear rack fell off once...

I am happy to report back that my version of modified Rotary Dumper ran without any hick-ups for 7 days 7 hours a day (so 49 hours) at LEGO World Utrecht the past week. I think that's remarkable for what still is a complex machine!

With about 100.000 visitors over the whole event many people enjoyed the rotary dumper and made positive comments about it. Number one and two were the Invisible Lift and my Rainbow Wave but definitely the Rotary Number was number three for most of the visitors. Very pleased with it.

44826093504_7d029e45cc_c.jpg

Edited by Berthil
Typo

Congratulations to you and to the whole developer team headed by Doug.

Do you have any video to show us?

3 hours ago, Berthil said:

I am happy to report back that my version of modified Rotary Dumper ran without any hick-ups for 7 days 7 hours a day (so 49 hours) at LEGO World Utrecht the past week. I think that's remarkable for what still is a complex machine!

Congratulations on a succesful show.
That’s a fantastic run, a world record, (Guiness Book of records). The modifications are well and truly tested now, at that rate the balls will wear out.
How many balls passed through ? Look forward to seeing your video.

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

Congratulations to you and to the whole developer team headed by Doug.

Thanks its been a good collaberation project.
@Jonas Will you buid it again now that its proven ?

The future: must add counter weights to my elevator and I have been looking at the Akiyuki Crane loader to see if it can converted, if I have enough parts, to use the the Ver. 2 trains with electric switch and simplify the build.

re Video Shadow-Elenter posted his video of the LEGO World Utrecht event on the General GBC discussion thread a few days ago, the Elevator & Rotary Dumper can be see at about 8.00 mins.

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

Do you have any video to show us?

I didn't make one but Maico Arts will post one of the whole circuit soon.

16 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

How many balls passed through ?

more than 15.000 a day, so in total over a 100.000. 1500 balls were running through the circuit of 159 modules. 

Edited by Berthil

15 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Will you buid it again now that its proven ?

It would be nice but ... it is a question of time, material and also space - all what I am missing, now. So, I will be looking to your next achievements. Keep building, mates!

That is great news @Berthil and fantastic achievement. My eleveator still has a lot of issues, I noticed that when batteries in trains are not as fresh anymore the lift sometimes jams on top or at the bottom. The rotary dumper on the other hand indeed works flawlessly.

14 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

My eleveator still has a lot of issues, I noticed that when batteries in trains are not as fresh anymore the lift sometimes jams on top or at the bottom.

I had the same problem when at upper level but fixed it by adjusting the stop that limits how high the chock can rise.

If the elevator reaches full height before chock is lowered that can cause a jam

Try adding a 3/4 pin as shown in image to lower the chock a little bit earlier.

44838165074_2c4be863d4.jpg

or remove the 2L beam with pin/axle holes and use a plain pin with 1L beam or a 12 mm pulley wheel.

Had no problems when at lower level since adding racks on both sides of the elevator platform.

Edited by Doug72

3 hours ago, Doug72 said:

My elevator still has a lot of issues, I noticed that when batteries in trains are not as fresh anymore the lift sometimes jams on top or at the bottom.

Or use my switch if Dougs solution doesn't work for you. It works 100%.

Elevator counter weight system now fitted.
I opted for just one counter weight each side but connected to both guide rollers each side.
Each is filled with 10 pce. UK 2 pence coins which are a perfect fit. Speed is now 10 secs to raise, 8 secs. to lower.

31706574888_98fd6b6c43_z.jpg

45578933731_890eb0fce7_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

LEGO Automatic Crane Loader for GBC Train

This complex train module is impressive BUT is designed for use with a Type1 train unit. see video below

My next possible project (if I have enough parts) is make a simpler version of this but suitable for use with type 2 trains with electric switch.
In order to understand how it works I built the drive / reversing unit following instructions by Blackbird for use with a type 1 train.
It has proved to be quite a fiddly build and some changes had to be made due to lack of the correct parts but seems to function OK.
But found the train reverser part lacks enough force to operate a type 2 train.

Don’t really understand the purpose of the the differential and the dwell mechanism, as the train reverses OK whatever position the dwell unit is in.

Unit for type 1 train:-
45631000361_44169eac03_z.jpg

Have now modified this unit to use the type 2 train.

Stuuded reverser version removed and replaced by the now standard rubber band reverser.
This was mounted separately and not directly powered by the train.
Tried using just one worm gear case to turn the dwell arm and the reverser 2 lobe rotor but not possible then to alter the timing to reverse the train.
So two worm gear cases used, one for the dwell, the other for the reverser.

Unsure how to time the reverser, should it operate during the time as dwell arm rotates to the other position & differential starts to rotate and drive to the crane pauses ?

Trigger arm had to be shortened to suit & train reverses OK.

To use a type 2 train the lifting arms for the ball container will also require modifying to suit the extra width.

Modified unit for type 2 trains
45598289932_60b569fbf6_c.jpg

31776344508_3163355361.jpg

45598289572_8fc1607c07.jpg

31776344138_9390d440c2.jpg

Video:_

Edited by Doug72

If you succeed building a compact version I'm also building it :)
I'm not familiar enough with this module to advise you. It seems difficult to time but you did great stuff before :)
At the moment I'm building a GBC that and a big carroussel and will act as a buffer, it doesn't use trains.

Edited by Berthil

13 hours ago, Berthil said:

If you succeed building a compact version I'm also building it :)
I'm not familiar enough with this module to advise you. It seems difficult to time but you did great stuff before :)
At the moment I'm building a GBC that and a big carroussel and will act as a buffer, it doesn't use trains.

Thanks for the encouragement, it will be long term project. Not sure yet what to build, something similar to the the Akiyuki Crane or something different !!!!

Yes timing is very difficult as the reverser rotor axle had to be pulled out until the 24T gear is disengaged in the 2nd worm gear box, then adjust its postition by one tooth at a time and push axle back in, test and repeat until correct. Very tedious !!

(The rotor on the original design did not have much leverage as only 2L long. Wiith a 3L rotor arm the force to trip the reverser is much reduced and only one rubber band is required.)

I have re-designed the reverser unit and eliminated the 2nd worm gear box. see image.

The dark grey 24T gear can be slid out of engagement and adjusted, finally now got timing correct I think.
Once it is correct the rotor axle can be slid out just enough to put a 1L beam on the axle to prevent the 24T gear shifting once axle pushed back in.
The dwell unit changes over causing the differential to pause the output to crane part and also the drive to reverser, once the dwell arm hits the stop the drive is restored and train is released.

45662910921_dbdcfe596d_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

So I am having trouble opening the LXF file in studio.io for the Doug worm gear lift? is there a PDF version of the instructions. Also.... can you confirm that is an 11L on page 48 of the rotary dumper?

It is funny, I love the Akiyuki GBC stuff, but I am not really bothered about his train GBC stuff.

That said, I love the work that is being done in this thread. It is amazing watching everyone come together to improve the reliability and the ingenious solutions which are being found!

Bravo!

4 hours ago, alanburchill said:

So I am having trouble opening the LXF file in studio.io for the Doug worm gear lift? is there a PDF version of the instructions. Also.... can you confirm that is an 11L on page 48 of the rotary dumper?

Try to open the LXF file with Lego Digital Designer. Sometimes Stud.io is making a small mess with LXF files. Part orientation ist wrong.

And yes 11L on page 48.