doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

17 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Thanks for help with this much appreciated.
These are the latest photos of the Rotary Dumper taken tonight.

thanks.

I'll start building tomorrow. waiting for the 5x7 technic beams.

Horizontal alignment between rotary dumper and bridge track.

I have now found a way to get the tracks to line up with each other as the train unit is released.
There is enough tolerance on the train wheels to deal with any minor mis-alignments.

Its takes two steps to achieve this:

Step1:-
Adjust the position of Z56 gear with the 8T gear until tracks are close to being in alignment.

Step2:-
Adjust the upper 16T gear 1 tooth in relation to the lower 16T gear.
This will adjust the `Z56T gear by the equivalent of half a tooth or approx 3.2 degs of rotation.

If this makes mis-alignment worse try adjusting the upper 16T gear in the opposite direction.

29200528188_6a2be32c94_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

@Frequenzberater found this video will shows more details of the Rotary car Dumper.

Appears to use train magnetic coupling between hopper and train and a trip system to cycle the dumper rotation.

There's a good close up of the train reverse trip using rubber bands instead of a shock absorber.

Edited by Doug72

Reverser Unit using rubber bands:

Based on the Yattaran Rotary car Dumper video.

Now modified a reverser unit using Lego Blue silcon bands.
Took a while to get the trip bar sturdy enough which replaces the 5.5 Axle with stop on the original design.

Works quite well and very cost effective.

2 x LEGO Rubber Band 26 mm (44609 / 85560 / 700051) @ £0.20 each

1 x LEGO Large Shock Absorber with Normal Spring (18404 / 74741) @ £1.20 to £8.00 each.

Video:

Rubber band version at LH end  & rotary dumper Z56 version at RH end of demonstration track.

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, dunes said:

looks great Doug

Thank,.

Now shortened the slide bar section fom 11L to 9L for a more compact unit.

Modifications can be seen better in this image. 

41314943400_2270ac6c20_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Just started my v2 Train... elevator dumper will be next... watching with great joy. 

In the mean time has anyone done a BSX for the elevator and spinning dumper?

Edited by alanburchill

1 hour ago, alanburchill said:

Just started my v2 Train... elevator dumper will be next... watching with great joy. 

In the mean time has anyone done a BSX for the elevator and spinning dumper?

The elevator & dumper are the most complex modules in the Akiyuki train system.
It is best to start with the simpler modules first, (reverser) as I did, in order to understand how they function and build a simple layout.

For dumper & elevator instructions by Akiyuki - see the 2nd post in this thread posted by Jonas.

The Rotary Dumper by Akiyuki is very hard to get working correctly, consistently and often gets out of step.
I gave up trying and developed my own modification which cannot get out of syncronisation and is consistently reliable.

@dunes is working on LDD instructions for this.

The Elevator module by Akiyuki works OK and height adusted to match my rotary dumper.

Edited by Doug72

On 7/1/2018 at 12:17 PM, Doug72 said:

41314943400_2270ac6c20_z.jpg

Can please post two more angles. so I can make the LDD file for this mod. thanks

31 minutes ago, dunes said:

Can please post two more angles. so I can make the LDD file for this mod. thanks

As requested:

Trip unit shortened by 2L with standard two lobe trip rotor.  The two slide bars are yellow 7L axles.
Four lobe rotor if used to operate a track switch.
The red LEGO Technic Cross Block 1 x 3 (Axle/Pin/Pin) (42003) is used for the trip & the anchor point for the trip trigger arm.

42293856895_cf4ac51f84_z.jpgIMG_5902

43198335071_7236e0d600_z.jpgIMG_5900

42293865495_44915c7181_z.jpgIMG_5904

Edited by Doug72

8 hours ago, Doug72 said:

The elevator & dumper are the most complex modules in the Akiyuki train system.
It is best to start with the simpler modules first, (reverser) as I did, in order to understand how they function and build a simple layout.

For dumper & elevator instructions by Akiyuki - see the 2nd post in this thread posted by Jonas.

The Rotary Dumper by Akiyuki is very hard to get working correctly, consistently and often gets out of step.
I gave up trying and developed my own modification which cannot get out of syncronisation and is consistently reliable.

@dunes is working on LDD instructions for this.

The Elevator module by Akiyuki works OK and height adusted to match my rotary dumper.

Thanks, having done the v1 train and other Aki modules i think the Rotary Dumper might be a challenge i will still try. Certainly going to make the standard dumper/loader first, but the elevated option just looks amazing. 

I normally display my GBC 4 times a year and so would like to know if you find the v2 train any more reliable. Back in 2016 i ran the v1 train for 24 hours over 3 days and i found the module very tempremental. I persisted as it was a real favourite of the crowd, but a more reliable version would be great...  is it more reliable generally?

I have a general question regarding the train when parked. As i dont have the full system running yet, i am woundering when a train is not moving and is parked at a loader/unloade/switch/etc are the train wheels with friction actually rubbing against anything? If they are would the friction bands wear out? or is it resting on the 2x2 round tile with a hole? if so, what give the train the initial push out of the station to re-engage the saw tooth gear? 

7 minutes ago, alanburchill said:

I normally display my GBC 4 times a year and so would like to know if you find the v2 train any more reliable. Back in 2016 i ran the v1 train for 24 hours over 3 days and i found the module very tempremental. I persisted as it was a real favourite of the crowd, but a more reliable version would be great...  is it more reliable generally?

I don't have V1 but V2 I have ran for 10 days at events without real problems and minimum attention. I use modified switches that have less resistance.

Edited by Berthil

14 hours ago, alanburchill said:

Thanks, having done the V1 train and other Aki modules i think the Rotary Dumper might be a challenge i will still try. Certainly going to make the standard dumper/loader first, but the elevated option just looks amazing. 

I have a general question regarding the train when parked. As i dont have the full system running yet, i am woundering when a train is not moving and is parked at a loader/unloade/switch/etc are the train wheels with friction actually rubbing against anything? If they are would the friction bands wear out? or is it resting on the 2x2 round tile with a hole? if so, what give the train the initial push out of the station to re-engage the saw tooth gear? 

I only got into building this train system a few months ago,  so no experience of V1 train unit.
The V2 is reliable - I made a simple MOD to prevent the end of reverser bars from fouling when in the rotary dumper. (see earlier posts).
You need to ensure the PF cables don't foul the trip bars and use the old style PF switch or MOD later version.

The train wheels flanges only just touch when in the reverser or driving other modules,  so there is no problem with friction band on wheels wearing down.

43210989541_cea8e55134.jpg

When the train is reversed, the initial impertous to move the unit is the 8T gear on axle end acting on the 24T gear that drives the trip system, enough to get the other 8T gears to engage with the rack and move the train. The round disc with hole are guides on the axles to keep the train in alignment with the gear racks etc.

Re Unloader / Loader:
As I didn't have enough shock absorbers I used counterweights instead - see images in an earlier post.

Best of luck with the Rotary Dumper / Elevator, I had a very frustrating time trying to get the Akiyuki Dumper version working and gave up - hence my MOD.

Doug72

Edited by Doug72

Sorry for my absence.

Currently building two other models for an exibihition in october this year.

LXF file for the reverser unit with rubber bands is done.

Reverser%20Unit%20rubber%20bands.png

All files for this project can be found on my bricksafe. Link in signature.

10 hours ago, dunes said:

Sorry for my absence.

Currently building two other models for an exibihition in october this year.

LXF file for the reverser unit with rubber bands is done.

Thanks for that, checked the file and one crucial part is not shown.
i.e. the 2L worm gear that engages with the 24T gear that drives the trip rotor.

10 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Thanks for that, checked the file and one crucial part is not shown.
i.e. the 2L worm gear that engages with the 24T gear that drives the trip rotor.

fixed

39 minutes ago, dunes said:

fixed

Thanks for your work in making these files.
re blue bands: to get the correct tension one end has to be wrapped around axle twice as per photos.

Re Rotary Dumper layout - now broken down into each module as Dining table needed for its intended purpose !!!!

Going to see if I can close couple the elevator and rotary dumper units to shorten overall length.

5 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Thanks for your work in making these files.
re blue bands: to get the correct tension one end has to be wrapped around axle twice as per photos.

its not possible to do so in LDD. 

I'll put a picture of yours in the bricksafe folder to descibe it.

4 minutes ago, dunes said:

its not possible to do so in LDD. 

I'll put a picture of yours in the bricksafe folder to descibe it.

I thought so - a picture says a thousand words.

Now tested with a four lobe rotor for a Vee Reverser and works OK.

Rotary Dumper :- My MOD update.
Noticed the ball discharge hopper had a tendency to lean towards the side with the counterweight box when the train uinit was released as the track lined up.

Tested without the counter-weight box and found to be OK.

The train ball hopper engagement with the rotating hopper guide rails is now better aligned and with less weight the rotation of the dumper is smoother and faster.  

12 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Rotary Dumper :- My MOD update.
Noticed the ball discharge hopper had a tendency to lean towards the side with the counterweight box when the train uinit was released as the track lined up.

Tested without the counter-weight box and found to be OK.

The train ball hopper engagement with the rotating hopper guide rails is now better aligned and with less weight the rotation of the dumper is smoother and faster.  

sounds great.

I finally had time start building the Rotary Dumper. During building I optimized the base a bit. saves some money. Hopefully I find some time tomorrow to build the rotary part of this unit.

LXF is already updated.

rotary%20dump%20mod.pngIMG_00401.jpg

Just now, dunes said:

sounds great.

I finally had time start building the Rotary Dumper. During building I optimized the base a bit. saves some money. Hopefully I find some time tomorrow to build the rotary part of this unit.

LXF is already updated.

Looking good,

19 hours ago, dunes said:

LXF is already updated.

Checked through the LXF file and the photo of your build progress.
Noticed you have use small wheels (rollers) with rubber tires to support the rotating yellow gear rings.
My version has reverted to the original 18mm diam. wheels.
Apologies for my error.

Now checked my photos which were taken over a 7 min period, some show small roller others large roller !!
Had me puzzled as to how this possible as there is not enough time to change them between taking photos.

Now realised I had one sIde using the small roller with tire  the other side using the larger 18mm diam. roller !!!!
Two smaller rollers caused a step between the track beams.

Correct rollers are the 18mm diam both sides with a 12T double bevel gear engaging with the curved gear rack.

42560252455_a594b6d60e.jpg

Edited by Doug72

9 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Checked through the LXF file and the photo of your build progress.
Noticed you have use small wheels (rollers) with rubber tires to support the rotating yellow gear rings.
My version has reverted to the original 18mm diam. wheels.
Apologies for my error.

No problem Doug. I used your last pics to rebuild it. 

LXF is updated.

rotary%20dump%20mod%20170718.png

Edited by dunes
typo

had a successful evening/night.

800x600.jpg

but came across an issue. U used the Type 2 turntable for your z56 timing gear. which I dont have. tried with Type 3 but the small 8T gear wont fit. If I change the the gears the timing wont match.

Do U have any tips on fixing this problem without buying Type 2 turntable? I have a bunch of Type 3 here.

800x600.jpg