doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

Through Rotary Dumper Train GBC (Update)

See earlier posting on this thread on page 11 for previous self contained version.

I have now modified this module to have seperate input and output thus allowing it to connect to other GBC modules.

Previous return return conveyor removed and a new dischage conveyor installed which is driven by the train reverser at the rotary dumper end.

High capacity ball lift driven by the other reverser, input probably needs re-building to meet GBC regs.
The module is quite long at 106 Cms.
Support structure for the conveyor to be improved.

PS still hunting from lost balls during testing !

Video:
A short video showing the revised module. 

Edited by Doug72

On 11/23/2019 at 9:56 PM, Doug72 said:

Through Rotary Dumper Train GBC (Update)

See earlier posting on this thread on page 11 for previous self contained version.

I have now modified this module to have seperate input and output thus allowing it to connect to other GBC modules.

Previous return return conveyor removed and a new dischage conveyor installed which is driven by the train reverser at the rotary dumper end.

High capacity ball lift driven by the other reverser, input probably needs re-building to meet GBC regs.
The module is quite long at 106 Cms.
Support structure for the conveyor to be improved.

PS still hunting from lost balls during testing !

Video:
A short video showing the revised module. 

Nice work ~ That's improved modifications.

I made a change to the train carts. I managed to put in larger gears.

This results in more torque. The trains are a little bit slower, but run more stable because of the lower speed, especially when docking into modules (in my setup).
I did a test run, just with 2 trains, the loader / unloader / switching modules for over 1,5 hours without any problems at all.

49332917477_4fee851542_c.jpg

49332917737_d98b6826b2_c.jpg

A useful modification reducing speed by a factor of 0.6

Now modified the train unit (grey)  for my through Rotary Dumper to the slower speed and module now runs a lot smoother. Just had to remove a couple of flat tiles from the track as the 20T gears were catching on them.

49333277781_517e3edf2f_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Remark of less importance : in the train's drivetrain, I'm surprised about the use of a single-bevelled Z20 gear on the motor's output for the meshing with the black Z12 double-bevel gear (by the means of the bevels) : isn't it less efficient (and a cause of teeth wear) than using a double-bevelled Z20 for a perfect spur meshing ? Or is it intended to force the Z12 gear closer against the single-bevelled Z20 on the wheels' axle (i.e. angular meshing made tighter) ?

15 hours ago, Thierry-GearsManiac said:

Remark of less importance : in the train's drivetrain, I'm surprised about the use of a single-bevelled Z20 gear on the motor's output for the meshing with the black Z12 double-bevel gear (by the means of the bevels) : isn't it less efficient (and a cause of teeth wear) than using a double-bevelled Z20 for a perfect spur meshing ? Or is it intended to force the Z12 gear closer against the single-bevelled Z20 on the wheels' axle (i.e. angular meshing made tighter) ?

Thanks for those comments.
I followed @t0mster photo and modyfied one of my train units - slightly noisy but run OK on my Through Rotary Dumper module.

Originally I didn't think a Z20 double bevel gear would fit and that it would foul the thin Z20T gear on the wheel axle.
Now fitted a Z20T double bevel gear and now runs much smoother & quieter.

i have come up with the idea of a sweeper loader like the one in akiyukis first video.

it can run of the reverser unit so no need for rcx control

2 hours ago, 9v system said:

i have come up with the idea of a sweeper loader like the one in akiyukis first video.

it can run of the reverser unit so no need for rcx control

Nice idea , look forward to seeing it running.

GBC Train: New Loading Module (MOC)  (Help)

I have built a new method of loading balls using a ball chute that swings up and down - see photos.

Works fine with the drive taken from the train unit reverser.
Timing is not required as chute movement stops as soon as train departs.
The ball chute is swung up & down by 4L crank arms driven via worm drive & a 40T gear.

There also is no need for a reverser for raising & lowering the ball chute.

However I have hit a big snag.
How to construct a suitable loading input hopper.

Due to the large swinging radius at the loading end, to use a standard 10 x 10 x 10 GBC hopper doesn’t line up as the bottom of chute swings away at its lowest point, leaving a gap of 4L for balls to jump across !!!

Have tried a sliding gate arrangement with partial success, but had problems with parts fouling each other.
Possible a semi rotating drum would work to control the ball loading.

Does anyone have some suggestions & ideas on this.
See photos which show the problem

49529910276_819dc6c67c_z.jpgIMG_7432

49529405008_42ec443be3_z.jpgIMG_7431

49529911471_e6ebc39e9f_z.jpgIMG_7435

49529406283_edcec9a938_z.jpgIMG_7425

Possible Sliding gate or rotary drum idea

49529939166_b07144d894_z.jpgIMG_7436

Edited by Doug72

On 2/13/2020 at 2:02 PM, Doug72 said:

However I have hit a big snag.
How to construct a suitable loading input hopper.

Due to the large swinging radius at the loading end, to use a standard 10 x 10 x 10 GBC hopper doesn’t line up as the bottom of chute swings away at its lowest point, leaving a gap of 4L for balls to jump across !!!

Have tried a sliding gate arrangement with partial success, but had problems with parts fouling each other.
Possible a semi rotating drum would work to control the ball loading.

GBC Train: New Loading Module (MOC) (Success) (Video)

Success after a heck of lot of trial and error, with lots of adjustements !!

Gave upon trying to arrange a loading input hopper in line with the lifting chute.

Instead I mounted it at right angle for side loading onto the lifting chute.

At present only loads 3 balls per trip but train trip set for 3 cycles before releasing the train = 9 balls per train trip.

I hope to devise a input hopper cabable of 6 balls per cycle = 18 balls per train trip.

Input hopper meets GBC requirments with enentry 10 L high X 10L wide.

If made wider would be easy to increase ball rate. Needs further work before I will be satisfied.

i.e. it needs a faster running speed, its gear down 12/20 at the moment.

Video below: Hopefully it has downloaded OK, You Tube changes make it harder to download now.
If you can't see it please let me know.

Edited by Doug72

On 2/15/2020 at 4:26 PM, Doug72 said:

If made wider would be easy to increase ball rate. Needs further work before I will be satisfied.

i.e. it needs a faster running speed, its gear down 12/20 at the moment.

Speed now increased by changing the 12/20 drive gears to 16/16.

Improved input hopper with control gate devised with throughput now tripled to an average of 9 balls per lift cycle = 27 per train trip.

Images how the various postions of the control gate during the transfer cycle which takes approx 15 secs per lift.

Ball ramp to the lift improved with measures to stop erant balls from escaping !!

This module could be used in a GBC loop without the train reverser by using a M or L motor to drive it.

An output collection hopper would be required.

49546883171_581ef40f12.jpgIMG_7447

49546883201_867ee36d3f.jpgIMG_7448

49546883181_5de4e5850b.jpgIMG_7449 

49546380463_e75e02a44d.jpgIMG_7450

Edited by Doug72

“As I am locked down due to CV-19 I9 and the sunny wearther we are having in the UK I decided to set up all my Train GBC modules on the decking in our garden.

Things went well until some trains would not work correctly in the elevator section, with lots of gear grinding noise from the train car.

This only occured with the L motor train cars. My elevator is the worn drive version.

Train cars with M motors work OK but are slower

After a lot of investigation found that under load as elevator near to fully raised the L motor 20T bevel gear was skipping on the 12T bevel gear drive shaft as that end was lifting up slightly.

A succesful mod was made to prevent this - see photos.

Further testing revealed a new problem, train docked OK in the rotary dumper OK when facing in one  direction but not when on the on the track facing the other way..

This caused by the new mod as above not alllowing train to fully dock in the rotary dumper.

Solution simple:- remove both axle pin connectors and the 4L axle.

Train now docks OK and restrained by the two center arms on the black connector block.

Now to sort out some other issues with the Train GBC layout with balls jamming in a loader unit.

Added parts to stop gear from skipping

49871212476_910736d3f2_z.jpg

Remove these parts from the rotary dumper.

49870683508_91274dd6e3_z.jpg

Train held in position by this

49870683608_7684c70161_z.jpg

Click image for video.

Edited by Doug72

Akiyuki Unloading Unit :- Improved entry horns for train ball hopper.

The original Akiyuki design was prone to the hopper jamming on entry and/or parts falling off. Parts used are also hard to find.

49984020346_02d965e8c0.jpg

I have devised an improved method using Bionicale Eyes (416619). as guides.
 These have a taper in both horizontal & vertical planes and locate the ball hopper into the unloading arms smoothly every time.

Entry Horns
49984265692_155fc4d36d_z.jpg

Ball hopper entering the guide horns
49984005876_8729fc440a_z.jpg

Parts Required

Edited by Doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: mods and improvements. (New Modules)

Index page updated with 3 new GBC Train modules by Doug72 

One compatable with Akiyuki system with the module driven by the train.
The other two are driven & controlled using EV3 using type 2 train units.

Sorry no instructions, for more information with images click the links on the index page.

see section on comparable modules with Akiyuki train systems.
Any queries please please ask.

Edited by Doug72

Hello all,

Are there instructions on how to build the Elevator version by Doug?  I have every thing built except for the cart.

Knowing where to start with that thing would be helpful.  I do have the .lxf file.

Currently building the Rotary Dumper, and have completed the passing siding and modified it to sit on 2 baseplates 32x32. ( stud.io file available if anyone interested )

Thanks for the help.  Love this thread!

9 hours ago, OverlandSailor said:

Hello all,

Are there instructions on how to build the Elevator version by Doug?  I have every thing built except for the cart.

Knowing where to start with that thing would be helpful.  I do have the .lxf file.

Currently building the Rotary Dumper, and have completed the passing siding and modified it to sit on 2 baseplates 32x32. ( stud.io file available if anyone interested )

Thanks for the help.  Love this thread!

Start with building the main framing structure then the train carrying platform.
More details / images on the worm drive system can be found in posts on pages 11, 12 & 14.

re .lxf files i can no longer access these as not supported by Apple after Catalina OS upgrade.

Edited by Doug72

Thanks Doug, I do have  the main framing structure finished. That was the easy part.  The train carrying platform is the next build.

So much Lego packed into such a small space. Lol

16 hours ago, OverlandSailor said:

So much Lego packed into such a small space. Lol

Compact but more reliable than the original Akiyuki version and cannot suddenly drop.

Are you using counter weights ?

Edited by Doug72

No counter weights just yet. I have noticed that when the ball car enters and goes up, there is a lot of tooth skipping on the gears, and the “rear” wheel gear wants to engage the rack gear. I figure that the car is too far forward and not sitting directly above the worm drive gears. I am going to try shimming the bump stops with card stock paper to see if I can center the ball car better. 

Check the gear rack is in the correct position, it may need 1/2 stud offset, see earlier post on page 14 29/Sept./2018 image shows gear rack position .
Also note the 3L cross block with the 8T gear which helps keep the train axle 8T gear engaged withe 24T gear.

When the 8T gear is directly above the 24T gear the 8T gears should not touch either end of the gear rack.

Edited by Doug72

Double checked the 1/2 stud offset and it is in place.  What I do see is that when the 8T gear is directly over the 24T gear I do see a very slight gap between the car and the bump stock.  So I figure a bit of shimming should keep the 8T gear directly over the 24T gear.  Going to try that at least. :)

You can adjust the height of the chock as shown in images.

43969679105_4880ba64c3_z.jpg

31008221508_86c5086d52_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Nice, I will check into that today. 
One other thing not quite right is the car releases too soon at the top of the elevator.  Which causes the car to jump over to the upper exit platform. 

3 hours ago, OverlandSailor said:

Nice, I will check into that today. 
One other thing not quite right is the car releases too soon at the top of the elevator.  Which causes the car to jump over to the upper exit platform. 

Reduce the diameter of the trip stop - until you eliminate the jump. This will allow platform to go slightly higher,

50268176362_3e10a8cbb5_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72