doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

On 10/1/2018 at 9:05 AM, Berthil said:

My take on the use of the narrow tracks for narrow radius turns. Original Akiyuki version lifts the train up on the inside creating unbalance on entry and exit (and uses a lot of slopes that get damaged). This version runs smoother but requires the tracks to be a brick high.

30097936897_438e8f187e_c.jpg

@Berthil - Do you have any other photos so I can try this out?

1 hour ago, Fyredog said:

@Berthil - Do you have any other photos so I can try this out?

Only that one.

@doug72 I finished the PDF for the new turntable. I think @Berthil is thinking of doing his own version using a Z60 turntable, instead of Z56, like in mine. I used a Z56 in mine because all my Z60 turntables have lots of friction and my Z56s are smooth. Shouldn't be too challenging to make a Z60 version.
Anyway PDF here; https://bricksafe.com/pages/Jude_The_Lego_Dude/my-gbc-modules/turn-table

Type%202%20train%20Turntable%20v4.png

Also how is the sliding passing unit going? 

Thanks 

Edited by Jude The Lego Dude
That render looks dam nice, if I say so myself

Just had a stray thought. These turntables turn 90° corners. But could one be adjusted to 180° for a reverser?

Or could you build a large one for two trains with integrated reverser, so it acts as a passing module?

9 hours ago, pleegwat said:

Just had a stray thought. These turntables turn 90° corners. But could one be adjusted to 180° for a reverser?

I use my one for a 180 degree reverser, even the PDF has one of the on ramps set up so that it can work in 180 degree set up, just by taking off the other train track side. Thats how I am going to personally use it in my train layout. 

No description available.

the turning passing unit would be very funny to watch. I might actually see if I can figure that out. Thanks for the idea

Edited by Jude The Lego Dude
added more words

I made a PDF for my modification of the unloader. 
It uses the @doug72 idea of counter weight tires. Also @HRU_Bricks additional tire counter weights. 
I also changed the 'arms' that hold the ball container, so that they are liftarms, gives the entry and exist a little more wriggle room. Also the technic bionicle eyes are secured a lot better then the original 2x3 plate and slopes, in my experience these things fell off why too often. 
Here;
https://bricksafe.com/pages/Jude_The_Lego_Dude/my-gbc-modules/type-2-unloader-mods

Also I am working on a future train layout, I finished moding my type 1 crane to type 2, and it is now dismantled to document the parts to order more to build it properly according to my io file. 
Here is the planned layout.
Type%202%20Layout_jude.png

Also I long term tested the V4 turntable at a 2 day show. It had problems, as expected, the worst of which was the worm gearbox disconnecting, I have since made changes and updated the io file for anyone interested. Mostly though it was ok, It stayed in the whole time and really didnt give me too many headaches. 
you can see it in action here;

I got the Crane Loader for the Type 2 train Stud.io file from @Jude The Lego Dude. It was on my GBC bucket list for a long time, it was 12 years ago Akiyuki has made the Crane Loader for the Type 1 train. If I understood correctly, @dunes has made the first version of the Stud.io file with a new frame eliminating the baseplates. Further work was done by Jude on the carrier and implementation of the gear rack and clutch timing system. The gear rack and clutch is about the same system that I used in my version of a mechanical Container Transporter. Still a lot work was needed to make the Type 2 Crane Loader fully functional, mainly because the Type 2 train has different dimensions and the Stud.io file didn't account for that. Below the video is a full list of modification on the Stud.io file.

I'm happy to present a functional Crane Loader for the Type 2 train with free building instructions on Rebrickable. I'll make a video soon of all the train modules I have in one layout with explanation on how the train system works. It is still a real crowd pleaser at events and with the help of the GBC community we now have more reliable versions of many modules.

Modifications;

• Type 2 container is 2 studs higher, 1 stud wider and 1 stud longer compared to Type 1 train, adjustments on container position, container locks, train station drive and inbox
  • Container position too high for inbox for balls to drop in, inbox ramp 1 stud up, container grabber and container locks 1 stud down, inbox ramp opener switch one stud up and limiter added.
  • Carrier direction switch in train drive station wrong direction, placed one gear in-between. Clutch switch limiter added for reliability.
  • Almost all gears supported on both sides.
  • Train drive station reverser has double switch but must be one to have two clutch switch triggers for back and forth movement of the carrier before the train leaves the station.
  • 3L universal joints removed and replaced by straight axles from train drive station to carrier, train drive station one plate up and repositioning of train for correct drive axle and container alignment, drive axles one stud up and converted to studless in the carrier frame.
  • 64782 bottom panel on carrier cannot pass drive axles, re-design together with inbox emptier trigger re-design and repositioned higher. Attachment points added to carrier guide.
  • Two 73090b counterweights for better weight balance.
  • Carrier gear rack length longer for correct timing, idle on drive end and correct timing of the Inbox gate.
  • Carrier gear rack locks in place with new limiters at the bottom, sometimes the whole assemble would come up which results in skipping gears on the gear rack. The bottom wheel lock maybe can improved by adding light tension by a rubber band to prevent any gear skipping.
  • Train reverser gearing adjusted from 1:1 to 12:20 for more power and movement time. Timing about fits with the Rotary Dumper cycle (20s) and is about the same as the Type 1 crane loader. I'm not sure about battery life but I expect it will be good. Battery life can be extended by replacing the 12:20 gear combination by 8:24 gears but cycle time will go up of course.
  • Braces added to lock position of the train drive station.

I've tried to explain the Type 2 system as I get questions on how it works.