Falconfan1414

James Bond 2018

18 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

There’s a difference in criticisms. Saying it misses the mark is one thing - going in most people were anticipating whether Lego could pull off the curves - such as yourself. Others completely tearing it apart are hampered by their own expectations. There are Creator Expert car collectors here who won’t buy because they don’t like how it looks. Surely part of collecting is the completion. If this proves to be a set that gains value in time then anyone who has a change of heart is going to have a bitter pill later on. I collect DC, and I get annoyed when a character comes along with subpar printing. I still get it, because ultimately Lego have made it and I don’t want to go down the customs road. You can criticise something and appreciate it at the same time. The ones here purely slating the set are only helping to an extent: Lego might only have one Bond set in mind, they might have more. They might think, “huh, the bunch of ingrates! We won’t bother with the rest of the line”. It’s scarcely twisted to consider an extreme reaction just that.

All reasons for criticism you mention are as valid as your opinion as to why you like or don't like it. However, the difference seems to be that those who critisize it aren't trying to come up with reasons why others should feel the same way, yet you seem to insist others have no business complaining because it's not done by your standards? I'm not trying to come up with reasons as to why you shouldn't like it, am I?

I don't collect Creator cars. I collect LEGO cars. If I like it enough, I'll buy one. If I don't like it, I won't buy it. I've bought 5 LEGO technic trucks. I don't like the others enough to buy them and don't care for either the value of a set later on or having all sets of a certain line. I didn't like the Beetle, thus I didn't buy it. I also don't really think LEGO will stop making these models because the internet complains. In the end sales will matter most to them because that's what justifies another set in the series.

But yeah, I appreciate the effort of LEGO doing another car. The effort is wasted in my book, because it doesn't look what they were going for, which is an Aston Martin DB5. My expectations weren't as excruatiatingly high as some of you make it look like. All I expected was a DB5 as good as the other car models. It isn't. If it is to you, go on and buy one. I won't understand why, but I won't spend my time trying to convince you why you shouldn't. :classic:

The main points of my criticism are:

1) If you don't know that it is supposed to be DB5, you would never guess what car it is. Trabant? Volga? Other Creator cars, even if not perfect, are instantly recognizable.

2) Price. Price is simply insane. Compare this £129.99 for a set with 1295 pcs with: London bus - £109.99 and 1686 pcs or VW Camper Van - £84.99 and 1334 pcs or Beetle - £74.99 and 1167 pcs. I know that it is doubled licensed, but this price is 25% higher than London Bus (which is almost 400 pcs more) and 35% higher than VW Camper (which is almost 140 pcs more).

I hope the box will say "No Dr. Who fans were insulted in the making of this set":laugh:

Honestly, I find it pretty lackluster 

@RNRS001 I’m not quoting that, it’s massive. Surely saying that effort is wasted is a reason not to buy? I’m not coming up with reasons why you should like it, I’m saying if you don’t then you’ve been spoilt by Lego’s past glories. 

That’s fine, not liking it and not buying it. That is how buying what you like generally works. But ripping it to shreds serves no purpose, especially as some people have no intention of buying it anyway. Lego as a company is aware of this site and will take comments into consideration. It’s market research.

It isn’t as good in your opinion. That doesn’t mean that it isn’t that good. A lot of people will buy it and love it. A lot won’t, but they don’t have to slag off the set so much that it looks like Lego made a personal slight because the set doesn’t meet their expectations. Pretty much stated in my OP that I am not going to buy one because it’s not what I collect. I would understand why someone would, though. It’s Lego and why we are having this discussion.

5 hours ago, RNRS001 said:

No, he wouldn't. :)

I am a massive fan of the Ferrari F40. It's been my ultimate dream car from the moment I saw it when I was 5 years old. I'm in my thirties now and I've had the posters, the toy cars, then later the scale models, I've drawn the car many times and then saw a LEGO rendition which was close to spot on. Sure, it's not 100% perfect, but it doesn't have to be because you can't mistake it for any other car. It doesn't look like a knock-off, it looks like an F40.

You're saying this model captures the overall look of a DB5, but this is the problem really, because it doesn't. This DB5 could be anything, really. It's got the looks of a Trabant, bits and pieces of a Jensen Interceptor, glimpses of Lada here and there and if you squint real hard you might just see a DB5 in it. I get how they can't recreate all the curves, but this model doesn't recreate any curve. It lacks the character the original DB5 has.

I mean no offense, but I've a feeling you're trying to speak for a group of people which clearly have a different opinion than the one you're going for. You're saying car fanatics would probably think the other models look poor as well, but the reason the other models are so well received is exactly because they capture the feel of a design quite well. I am a car fanatic, pretty much the only sets I still buy are the cars and trucks. I follow the blogs. There's not a blog or website out there which has positive reactions to this car. The car fanatics think it suck, and those are the same people who thought the F40 and Mini looked fantastic. Even my mom thought the VW camper was a fantastic buy, and she thinks buying LEGO is a waste of money when you're grown up. :)

Again, I get it, it's LEGO, but the same criteria count for a Caterham, an F40, a Mini, a VW Camper and a London Bus. They got it right with all those models, and with this one they clearly didn't. In the end, the final model just doesnt't look good. LEGO's been making so many cars lately yet the last time they got it right was the Caterham. The Porsche, the Chiron, the Beetle and now this. I've no idea what's gotten into them but its made me stop buying the new sets.

F40 probably a bad comparison, because it is good. The beetle would probably be better as just taking a quick look, I see differences. Looks like it could be mistaken for a 2cv if it wasn't for the arches, as the entire body looks spot on to looking like that's what it's meant to be. But, the F40 is also a hell of a lot easier. Its generally a more square, less compound curved car and thus easier to replicate to pleasing the eye. 

I'm sorry, but I entirely disagree about the mini. I've owned three, loved each one, and know them very well for their curves they have. It doesn't capture the look as much as you imply it does, because one of the fantastic things about the mini is because of its compound curves. That's what makes it. Take those away and you get a ugly lada lookalike. The lego represents the mini as much as it does for the DB5. You seem to dismiss any of the curves, yet they did the same style of curvature attempt for the outer front wings, the hood curve has been attempted and to be honest, helps to bring the front end together (along with the lights and grill) to make it easily recognisable as a DB5, the rear curve has been attempted (lack of compound likely due to difficulty to make it look right, so a compromise probably occurred), slopey lights... More curves than you give credit to. 

I'm sorry, but the mini could be more of a trabant than the DB5. The rear section of the DB5, sure, has looks like it could be. But anything forward of that and you're choosing to blindly stick with the notion that it looks like a trabant purely to make a point. 

I'm not a massive fan of the DB5 but even I could easily recognise the model as being a DB5 above anything else. 

I feel our opinions arent going to change, and as they're only opinions, that it's pointless me carrying on. 

I look forward to seeing people keeping the spy functions while improving the exterior to be closer to source while also keeping the structural strength :classic:

Edited by Fuppylodders

Um, it looks okay, but it doesn't look much like an Aston Martin DB5. I don't know how they could've pulled off the shape with Lego at that scale, but in my opinion they shouldn't have released this, it's way too far away. Especially considering the licences. As an unlabeled, unlicenced creator set it would be okay.

Well, given the source material that designers had to work with, I think they did a very good job, at least that is the very best they could give us.

But honestly, I do find the end result to be rather bland-looking myself too, and I think it would've been better if they did away with the Bond branding and opted to instead give us a generic DB5 (minus all the gadgets, of course) in some other more exciting color besides Light Bluish Grey. That could've at least compensated for the build's rigid shape. :def_shrug:

10 hours ago, Terrasher said:

There's a review on New Elementary that shows off the functions with some pretty cool animations. 

New Elementary - LEGO® 10262 JAMES BOND ASTON MARTIN DB5

06gunsanimationWMcropped-671kb.gif09seatanimationWMcropped-1mb.gif

I visited my Lego store today and at that point they had only sold one copy of the set. No one had any idea this was getting released today and how much it was. The lady who I talked to said the store received a decent amount of calls about the set. Some asking if they can come in and get the set now others asking if this reveal meant that they could get the Voltron set now. Hopefully the tides turn and this set starts to sell

Looks like the ejector seat is activated with rubber bands, what a shame there is no figure to actually eject. Funny too I thought for a minute that was the driver side seat. Looks like the headlight machine-gun thing is a counter weight activated by the gearshift. Sure hope the shredder actually functions as well. 

Edited by Johnny1360
Spelling

16 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

Mab, I think your critique that it looks essentially like a Trabant is misplaced, and actually more closely belongs being applied to the mini. Extend the mini's big behind end and it'll look exactly like a lego Trabant. More so than your suggestions of the DB5 would. 

16 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

I just got the promotional email from TLG and they have a side-by-side shot, and yeah, they look similar, but I totally agree with @MAB that it's also reminiscent of that Trabant.

The Trabant was a joke, based on the colour. I nearly called it a Star Wars extension pack instead ...

6 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Um, it looks okay, but it doesn't look much like an Aston Martin DB5. I don't know how they could've pulled off the shape with Lego at that scale, but in my opinion they shouldn't have released this, it's way too far away. Especially considering the licences. As an unlabeled, unlicenced creator set it would be okay.

If it was an unlicensed and unlabelled creator set would it sell? I don't think it would. So it makes sense to slap a 007 label on it and sell to those fans. I imagine it was the license that drove the design of the model, rather than the model needing to find a license but it does seem a bit of a waste of a tie-in if there are no further James Bond sets.

Jamgbricks has a review up. The build is impressive, but I think it’s fairly evidence that the inclusion of gadgets meant the overal accuracy of the car had to be sacrificed 

32 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Jamgbricks has a review up. The build is impressive, but I think it’s fairly evidence that the inclusion of gadgets meant the overal accuracy of the car had to be sacrificed 

Just bringing it here:

14 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I hope the box will say "No Dr. Who fans were insulted in the making of this set":laugh:

:laugh: Some humour much needed in this thread

--

I guess those clearly unhappy and criticising the look as being "unrecognisable as a DB5" it might be worth considering that Aston Martin are, even amongst high end car marques - extremely protective about their brand values and perception. Especially when it comes to their legacy - such as this iconic model, forever associated with an equally iconic character. Basically, if it looked like a pile of Megabloks and "unrecognisable" they wouldn't have approved it as agreed. Yes, it's highly subjective but with the noted exception of the perfectly blocky F40, that's the case with all Lego cars.

As for complaining about the price and PPP ratios, well that's an argument to be had across the whole Lego landscape. But unusually there are two licensing entities here don't forget.

They'd get sued by the one that was.

Honestly, I find it pretty lackluster 

There was a Doctor Who Lego statue unveiled for SDCC today, so expect a return to “Lego has to do Doctor Who” posts within the next 24 hours :laugh:

(disclaimer: Doctor Who is one of my most favourite things ever, but some of the posts about it here are just laughable) 

5 hours ago, MAB said:

The Trabant was a joke, based on the colour. I nearly called it a Star Wars extension pack instead ...

If it was an unlicensed and unlabelled creator set would it sell? I don't think it would. So it makes sense to slap a 007 label on it and sell to those fans. I imagine it was the license that drove the design of the model, rather than the model needing to find a license but it does seem a bit of a waste of a tie-in if there are no further James Bond sets.

I may have to slightly agree on the star wars expansion pack comment :laugh:

I do wonder, if they did the db5 minus gadgets and therefore likely improved accuracy if it would still sell as well. Seeing the large amount of technic taking space up in the back, I see why its longer in the cabin than meant to be (about my only main concern with this set)... 

19 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

06gunsanimationWMcropped-671kb.gif

Feel a little silly asking this, but is there a new piece in this mechanism, in red, connecting the rotating light/machine-gun assembly to the white hinge cylinder?

I've seen hinge plates with one locking finger on the side before, but only in 1x2 and 2x1, not 1x1. Or is there another clip piece that locks into these?

Not sure but it looks like a 1x1 plate red with clip, to me anyway. 

I did just try it and it does work similar to a universal joint, a little bit loose though. 

Edited by Johnny1360
Added some stuff

Thanks. Given that the rotating parts are in a fairly confined space, it probably doesn't matter if it's a little loose

Somebody overlaid the real DB5 over the Lego version. Is it perfect, no but from the side profile it is a lot better than I thought. 

Edited by RyanMe

Well, one thing is for sure, this will be one of this years' most controversial sets :grin:

I never really liked Lego cars, most of them are next to impossible to pull of properly with the given parts - and considering that you actually want to sell big quantities, so the price point has to be somewhat reasonable.

When I've heard it's going to be an Aston, I was already sure it would be a no-go for me, wasn't disappointed after the reveal.

The gadgets are impressive indeed, but that doesn't save the set for people who want a nice display model.

12 hours ago, RyanMe said:

Somebody overlaid the real DB5 over the Lego version. Is it perfect, no but from the side profile it is a lot better than I thought

I agree, there are a few inconsistencies but it is much closer than I had originally thought. 

I would like to see someone do a better job, even without the gadgets. 

Edited by Johnny1360

6 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

.....I would like to see someone do a better job, even without the gadgets. 

I'm interpreting that as meaning that this is the best anyone can do a DB5 at this scale in Lego.  If I am reading your comment correctly, I agree.