Falconfan1414

James Bond 2018

(deleted comment because I was wrong)

Edited by Puresh

Looks as though the roof can come off, I’m interested too see if the ejector seat will be able to actually eject and what other gadgets are working.

(deleted comment because I was wrong)

Edited by Puresh

I always think all cars replicated in Lego bricks have an inherent blockiness (Technics have a different word). It's really hard to do the source justice with all the curved lines, and even more difficult when the car was designed by Superleggera. There's a reason why the angular F40 set is spot on and the Beetle not so much.

So I can understand the initial disappointment (all those horse heads jeez) but I think this will grow on a lot of people. Particularly when the features are revealed.

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

So I can understand the initial disappointment (all those horse heads jeez) but I think this will grow on a lot of people. Particularly when the features are revealed.

That’s an interesting thought.  The DB5 is definitely too curvy in the nose to be reliably reproduced in lego, but I don’t have a problem with the beetle or any of the other cars they’ve done.  Hopefully the angle on the license is the least flattering (just like the Chiron) and the nose is minimized head on and profile.

(edit- weird, it didn’t include the portion of your post I actually wanted to reference)

Edited by KevinMD

Good grief, comparing the real thing with what was leaked today, TLG really botched the front of the DB5. It's all wrong. The headlights and the curves, the grill, the silver part right in front of the bumper (don't know the name of that). Even the side wing mirrors look odd.  Someone on reddit mentioned that the grill and the headlights make it look like the car is looking up, surprised or in horror. Completely agree with that. All the depth of the front of the DB5 is absolutely lost on this model.

Looks rushed, as if TLG wanted to release something as quickly as they could with the 007 license that was supposed to be used for Dimensions.

Compared to the previous creator cars, this is really missing the mark. Especially on the front.

wouldnt this licence serve better as a speed-Champions type set(or sets) with an Aston Martin and their respective Bonds?

@Terrasher Or...you could wait to see it from all angles and in detail before picking up the burning torch and pitchfork.

There’s no rush, if they wanted to capitalise on the licence, TLG would wait until next spring to coincide with the release of Bond 25.

Edited by Lucarex

4 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

@Terrasher Or...you could wait to see it from all angles and in detail before picking up the burning torch and pitchfork.

There’s no rush, if they wanted to capitalise on the licence, TLG would wait until next spring to coincide with the release of Bond 25.

I think @Terrasher‘s criticisms are fair. Why would seeing other angles change ones opinion on the front when it can clearly be seen?

24 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Compare the Beetle and the Mini Cooper to this model and you will realize that the DB5 is a big step below the previous Creator Expert cars.

Also, as @Whovastron has mentioned, we can already see the most important features of the DB5: the front and the sides. The rear won't redeem the whole set. What else is there to see? The interior and the gadgets? IMO, if the set looks ugly on the outside, it's hard to make up for it with other small features that are mostly hidden by the external cover.

Horses for courses though isn’t it? The Mini left me cold, and the Beetle (albeit I liked the colour and surfboard) wasn’t exactly a faithful reproduction was it? If you squinted maybe.

Even the London Bus looked a little off. It’s just near-impossible to capture the exact lines of a model like this. It would be the same with a 300SL Gullwing. There’s a reason why 50 years later the actual car still turns heads and drops jaws, even those who are ignorant/ambivalent to the Bond thing.

“Good grief....botched...big step below previous Creator...worst ever D2C” etc. is a bit melodramatic IMO. Oh and the “silver thing in front of the bumper” is called the radiator :wink:

Edited by Lucarex

Can we expect to see any of you improve on it then, @Terrasher or @Whovastron, if LEGO did such a poor job? Should be easy, no? :wink:

I'm not in love with how it looks in that one photo either, but to be fair, the shapes of that car are not easy to replicate with LEGO. Further, compromises have most likely been made to include some gadgets, and without knowing what those are and seeing better photos I will not pass final judgement on the set.

5 minutes ago, LegoFjotten said:

Can we expect to see any of you improve on it then, @Terrasher or @Whovastron, if LEGO did such a poor job? Should be easy, no? :wink:

I'm not in love with how it looks in that one photo either, but to be fair, the shapes of that car are not easy to replicate with LEGO. Further, compromises have most likely been made to include some gadgets, and without knowing what those are and seeing better photos I will not pass final judgement on the set.

I stopped short of saying that, just thought it :wink: 

And I'm glad I'm not the only one with this exact 'wait and see' approach. I guess there will be some people can't wait (and haven't!) to rip it apart regardless for whatever reason. 

Seems like there should be plenty of room in the model to fit the mechanisms for pop-out guns, ejector seat, and other gadgets.  It'll be interesting to see just how many functions they incorporate from Goldfinger:

-Rotating license plates, smoke screen and oil slick seems unlikely (but maybe they would still have the rear lights flip up?), shredders that pop out of the hubcaps, fold down front grill to reveal machine guns, armor plate that rises to protect rear windshield, ejector seat.

36 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Horses for courses though isn’t it? The Mini left me cold, and the Beetle (albeit I liked the colour and surfboard) wasn’t exactly a faithful reproduction was it? If you squinted maybe.

:laugh: I guess people have different tastes! Some like rectangles, some like curves. Crazy how that can happen. I'm criticizing this model because it's an unfaithful reproduction of the real DB5, which is a shame. The Cooper and the Beetle, meanwhile, are much better, but that's just my (and many other people's) opinion.

Don't get mad if people dislike something you like. I don't have a problem with you liking something I find lots of inaccuracies in. Understand that some like things well done and accurate.

18 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

I guess there will be some people can't wait (and haven't!) to rip it apart regardless for whatever reason. 

I guess there's no room for improvement in anything anymore. Oh no. :look:

@LegoFjotten If I had TLG designers' inventories, I'd give it a try! There's plenty that can be fixed! :classic:

-----------------

Bickering aside (we've had enough off topic discussions here (Doctor Who))... I'm at least eager to see what gadgets are incorporated. If the front's ugly, there'd better be some nice Technic action within the set! 

"Unfaithful reproduction...poorly done...lots of inaccuracies...ugly...plenty that can be fixed..."

Don't sit on the fence now :laugh: And all that from a quick glance at single low res image printed on a card. 

3XiKMch.gif&token=AQAAU4o-W_E-tfaUuOIEl-

21 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

"Unfaithful reproduction...poorly done...lots of inaccuracies...ugly...plenty that can be fixed..."

Don't sit on the fence now :laugh: And all that from a quick glance at single low res image printed on a card.

Boy, did I struck a nerve. This set means a lot to you doesn't it? And so does my opinion, for some reason... :sceptic: 

If you want to have a civil discussion, please PM me.

------------

Despite the disappointing first leak and probably not wanting to buy the set, I'll be looking forward to the official pictures. 

Edited by Terrasher

18 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

3XiKMch.gif&token=AQAAU4o-W_E-tfaUuOIEl-

The picture is pretty good quality tbh, enough to see the model. It’s just peoples opinions guys.

1 hour ago, LegoFjotten said:

The most lazy argument against criticism. People are allowed to not like something without having to know how to do it better. And anyhow I didn’t make any over the top comments about the build.

the image is good enough quality to make a judgement. It’s perfectly fine that people like and love it, and people are equally allowed to dislike it.

Struck a nerve? Nah, just like a bit of debate/banter especially when the comments are a bit OTT . Means a lot to me? Again, nowhere near as much as you imagine. It’s just nice to have something a bit different, that wasn’t really anticipated. That said I love the car itself, so in brick form, I’m glad it exists.

I don’t think there’s a Lego set out there that is perfect. I guess I just prefer to look past flaws (or compromises depending on how you view it) and appreciate the good bits for the most part.

Edited by Lucarex

Wah wah wah:cry3:

The model is decent, please stop being so ungrateful, thanks.

PS isn’t that what Lego is all about, being creative? Don’t like? Change it. Or just deal with it, I don’t care, just stop the unnecessary winging. 

It doesn't look so bad to me, but what do I know. I can't wait to see more/better pictures though, hard to be judgemental from just that one. Would like to know piece count and price US dollars as well, maybe not a day one buy but I will have it. 

7 hours ago, Lucarex said:

To do what? More sets?

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

To do what? More sets?

No. I don't think there's any other sets planned. What I meant was it wasn't rushed out at this time as the poster said. You could level that accusation if the new movie was about to premiere and TLG wanted to piggy-back on the media attention. But Bond 25 isn't out until May 2019 earliest, so that criticism doesn't make sense.