Falconfan1414

James Bond 2018

In a series of tweets between lego, Aston Martin, and James Bonds official Twitter, it was heavily hinted we are getting a set based off James Bond’s Aston Martin

Link to the tweets please?

Edit never mind:

Awesome! I wonder how it’s going to look. 
Maybe it’s a hint to the 12th Bond film, For Your Eyes Only. 

Edited by Lego-fire

Very exciting! Wasn’t it rumoured that the year we never had from Dimensions would have included Bond? It’s thrilling to see they’re actually going to do something with this licence. 

The fact that the LEGO Group tweeted to Aston Martin makes me think the set (if there is one set) would likely focus on one of their cars. The DB5 would make the most sense, as (almost?) all of the Bonds have driven one at some point. 

Speaking of all of the Bonds... I’m very curious to see whether any of them are included in what I assume will be a set based on an Aston Martin. Surely we get at least one incarnation of 007...? 

I don’t mind James Bond but I concerned about Lego and their brand values and losing their connection with their main target market - Children.

21 minutes ago, Mr Spielbrick said:

Speaking of all of the Bonds... I’m very curious to see whether any of them are included in what I assume will be a set based on an Aston Martin. Surely we get at least one incarnation of 007...? 

I'd love to get the Lotus Espirit from the Spy Who Loved Me, it would be nice to get at least one car from each Bond. The DB10, the Vanquish, etc. I hope they throw in some villains as well. 

I imagine it will be a DB5 with a vague ‘every’ James Bond minifig, not a specific actor, but just the arcitype.

1 hour ago, J4ck said:

I don’t mind James Bond but I concerned about Lego and their brand values and losing their connection with their main target market - Children.

The Bond movies and books are definitely for an adult audience, but there is a series of Young Bond young adult novels, and there was a James Bond, Jr. cartoon. So they've definitely tried to open the brand up to a younger audience. 

Could this be why they rejected the Jaguar E-Type Ideas project (we heard they were doing another product that directly conflicts with the E-Type and a classic Aston Martin would make a lot of sense as as conflict)

Is there a possibility that this set could be one of the VIP early access sets for July? (Also does anyone know whether there’s any information on those 2 sets?)

Quite interesting news. I enjoyed the older Bond films quite a lot when I was a child. Especially the Roger Moore ones are quite comical (do I need to mention Moonraker??), so that could work really well. But I think its going to be either a modern Bond/Aston or the DB5 really. Something in the scale of the speed champions sets would be nice.

I'm rather certain that this may be this year's Creator Expert automobile set they're referring to, possibly of a classic Aston Martin DB5 in that particular scale.

But, while I know that the DB5 may be as closely tied with the James Bond franchise just as the DeLorean is to the Back to the Future movies, I'm not quite exactly sure if the Creator Expert theory may hold water, since Lego doesn't necessarily need to label a Creator set with James Bond branding. 

4 hours ago, J4ck said:

Agreed, as I think Lego should stay away from most (if not all) adult-centric media, specifically of the nature that the James Bond franchise touches upon. Everything that TLG produces should be based upon age appropriate source material, even if a particular set is recommended for older builders.

2 hours ago, jonwil said:

Could this be why they rejected the Jaguar E-Type Ideas project (we heard they were doing another product that directly conflicts with the E-Type and a classic Aston Martin would make a lot of sense as as conflict)

If it is indeed an Expert scaled DB5, that would make even more sense, given that they're both classic British sport cars from the same era.

That's a weird theme... I can't see them making any regular sets, so I think Digger of Bricks might be right about the Creator Expert automobile thing, also Lego store exclusive maybe? 

It sounds like it will be a creator expert set similar to the Ferrari. The Aston Martin will probably be based on one of the ones that appears in the bond films and they will slap a James Bond sticker on the box and have some cool art work in the instructions. If we are lucky we might get Bond as a figure but I doubt it. I would call this a smart move because it Most likely will apeal to a wider audience of people then the regular creator expert cars

Ok, that make sense. 

Because this a "normal" theme sounded odd to me

7 hours ago, BrickSantorum said:

The Bond movies and books are definitely for an adult audience, but there is a series of Young Bond young adult novels, and there was a James Bond, Jr. cartoon. So they've definitely tried to open the brand up to a younger audience. 

That in no way negates the adult nature of the franchise though, it's not like it's going to be a Young Bond set is it? (Though to be honest I prefer the Young Bond books that I've read to some of the films.:def_shrug:)

9 hours ago, J4ck said:

I don’t mind James Bond but I'm concerned about Lego and their brand values and losing their connection with their main target market - Children.

One the one hand I agree with you on this and I don't want lego to stray from the light, on the other hand it could open the door to other franchises that I'd love to see like Elder scrolls, (maybe for TES VI if they can score a 15 or lower rating).

10 hours ago, J4ck said:

I assume (and hope) that this will be a one off set, not another licensed range. Much like they have done with Doctor Who (ignoring Dimensions) - a one-off nostalgia set, aimed at adults not kids. I don't mind that type of thing too much. Of course it would be nice to get Blofeld, Goldfinger, Dr No, Odd Job and Jaws but that would probably mean a number of Bonds too, a bigger range of sets and no more in-house Agents style sets.

Something licensed to get very excited about (HP? *yawn*)

Really hope they make a DB5 that doesn't cost 3 figures or much more that the F40.

Personally I think they will include a minifig plus maybe a couple of Goldfinger gadgets (revolving plates, bulletproof shield and ejector seat) as they wouldn't need the 007 licence otherwise.

If it is in the larger scale, TLG could still throw in a minifig and some other goodies (I'm thinking of the UCS Tumbler).

23 hours ago, J4ck said:

If you can have Lego Indiana Jones then you can have Lego James Bond.

After all George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Roger Moore have all said that Indiana Jones is historical James Bond.

One the set itself, I expect it to be an Aston Martin DB5 that will be the same scale as the Ferrari, Mini etc, but have specific James Bond features like ejector seat and machine guns under the headlamps.

3 minutes ago, TheMainBricker said:

If you can have Lego Indiana Jones then you can have Lego James Bond.

If you can have a Lego Heath Ledger Joker in a large collector-oriented set then you can have a Lego James Bond in a large collector-oriented set!  Seriously, though, all hand-wringing about licenses aside, a Creator Expert-style Aston Martin DB5 would be really cool...if all the parts were new in flat silver, the way all the Beetle parts were new in medium azure.  Light gray just won't look as good.

If this set is indeed a Creator Expert Aston Martin DB5, and if it's also possibly labeled with James Bond branding, then I believe that would be the first time we will have ever seen any kind of media franchise branding on a Creator themed set, right? 

If so, I wonder if that may open the door for the potential opportunity to see a Creator Expert scaled time machine DeLorean from the Back to the Future movies. :shrug_oh_well:

4 hours ago, icm said:

Seriously, though, all hand-wringing about licenses aside, a Creator Expert-style Aston Martin DB5 would be really cool...if all the parts were new in flat silver, the way all the Beetle parts were new in medium azure.  Light gray just won't look as good.

Ooooh, now that I could get excited about! :purrr:

On 6/15/2018 at 12:48 AM, BrickSantorum said:

I still don’t think it’s enough to call it age appropriate.

20 hours ago, MAB said:

I assume (and hope) that this will be a one off set, not another licensed range. Much like they have done with Doctor Who (ignoring Dimensions) - a one-off nostalgia set, aimed at adults not kids. I don't mind that type of thing too much. Of course it would be nice to get Blofeld, Goldfinger, Dr No, Odd Job and Jaws but that would probably mean a number of Bonds too, a bigger range of sets and no more in-house Agents style sets.

I hope it’s one set personally.

If it’s a Bond based DB5 then it would be great to see some of the gadgets like the bulletproof screen, revolving number plates, machine guns behind lights etc.

As other have also said, if we’ve had the Joker in any set we can have Bond. Same as Indy. If it gets a few iconic sets such as the DB5 or the Esprit I’d also be really happy.

2 hours ago, J4ck said:

As I and many others have said James Bond is more age appropriate than some of the models Lego have done. Plus you're going to have to describe how this is any less age appropriate than Indiana Jones.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:22 AM, J4ck said:

The Creator Expert sets have a recommended age of 16+.

The Bond films are typically rated as 12 or 12A. A number of the older films (including Goldfinger, which is where a lot of us are suspecting the set is from) are rated PG.

Other sets have fallen into the same age ratings. For example, The Big Bang Theory is rated 12 in the UK.