kibosh

LEGO table advice needed

Hi guys,

I am in the US, and will be moving into the house of my dreams next month.  I will finally have the basement I've dreamed about.  The one where I will have plenty of room for storage, build space, and a large scale city display.

This brings me to my point; what should I do about tables?  I'm going to need tables for building on, sorting on, etc.  And I'll need tables for my display(s).  And I'll need a bunch of them.

What's my best bet?  My most economical option?  Do I buy a bunch of tables? Or do I build my own?

What have you guys done???

Thanks!

I use our old dining table, a nice big Ikea number that is reliably solid. 

Tables depend upon what sort of display you want to put up, how you prefer to build and a lot of other personal factors.

I wanted a table that held my drawers and two 48x48 plates wide, plus a few inches extra.  I bought a 3/4" sheet of plywood, cut it to size, and set it on a sturdy shop table frame, like this:

https://www.grainger.com/product/4TW93?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!56638277637!!!s!102629199717!&ef_id=WyLTIAAABGgRxEVw:20180614204208:s

Probably overkill, but I found a used frame locally for $10.  Depends on how sturdy you want it.  I can stand on mine.

@kibosh If you have anything that will do fo now, use it.

Here's why... I had a mish-mash of things in my LEGO Studio when I started, by using the mish-mash then i I had an idea about what I wanted. I spent a lot of time using the room and just thinking/planning. I wound up going a fairly costly route (because I am not handy) I had to have a cabinet company build my tables, display shelves and a storage solution.

I think my message is "don't rush into a solution" that you may want to change and you may have an investment that would be lost.

Plan ahead,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

There is a mass amount of options out there in the Pinterest world just do a search. Good luck, it is a never ending evolution of setups.

7 hours ago, Andy D said:

@kibosh If you have anything that will do fo now, use it.

Here's why... I had a mish-mash of things in my LEGO Studio when I started, by using the mish-mash then i I had an idea about what I wanted. I spent a lot of time using the room and just thinking/planning. I wound up going a fairly costly route (because I am not handy) I had to have a cabinet company build my tables, display shelves and a storage solution.

I think my message is "don't rush into a solution" that you may want to change and you may have an investment that would be lost.

Plan ahead,

Andy D

This is probably a good plan.  I got six 6-foot banquet tables off Craigslist that I will start with.  3 will hold my current display, and 3 will be my sort/build area.  I have a bunch of various Akro Mills storage cabinets that will be mounted on the wall for parts storage.

I am handy, so I'm leaning towards building my own.  New houses will be going up in my neighborhood for the next few years, so there should be an adequate supply of scrap lumber to make use of!

1 hour ago, Jody Meyer said:

There is a mass amount of options out there in the Pinterest world just do a search. Good luck, it is a never ending evolution of setups.

What should I search on?  When I search "lego tables" I get a train tables for little kids.

Try Lego storage or something like that. There are a few good deals out there. I am in the process of designing my own a s well.

21 minutes ago, Jody Meyer said:

Try Lego storage or something like that. There are a few good deals out there. I am in the process of designing my own a s well.

I finally stumbled upon some inspiration, and I'm building my pinterest board!

I'd love to see what you're thinking.

Custom building your own if you can.  That way you can make the tables fit LEGO base plates perfectly.  Also at a height that won't hurt your back. 

Right now I just have two 6x3 store bought tables, they do the job well enough. I have plans for a set up where the legs are going to be shelves, like storage cubes, for my plastic containers(I keep sets together in Sterilite tubs).

Kibosh.

Take a look at our club's table drawings and instructions at http://www.tnvlc.org/ 

They are modular, breakdown-able, and a standard for displays. I've found a mechanics rool about stool the greatest for working at this height, which is by no means a standard table height.

If you intend on building some ( 4 - 30x60 out of two sheets ply) let me know and I'll show you how to get a 5th one out of the 2 sheets.

Ed

On 6/15/2018 at 11:39 PM, dr_spock said:

Custom building your own if you can.  That way you can make the tables fit LEGO base plates perfectly.  Also at a height that won't hurt your back. 

I'm definitely leaning towards custom for my display tables for these very reasons.  Fitting baseplates, and saving my back!

On 6/16/2018 at 6:00 AM, Jody Meyer said:

A beer fridge is handy as well..:grin: well I find it handy...

Oh yes.  This is a good one.

21 hours ago, knotian said:

Kibosh.

Take a look at our club's table drawings and instructions at http://www.tnvlc.org/ 

They are modular, breakdown-able, and a standard for displays. I've found a mechanics rool about stool the greatest for working at this height, which is by no means a standard table height.

If you intend on building some ( 4 - 30x60 out of two sheets ply) let me know and I'll show you how to get a 5th one out of the 2 sheets.

Ed

ooooooooh, I like these.  I love the simplicity of the leveling system.  Any idea what one table costs on average in materials?

Kibosh,

Lots of variability. Fasteners are a big part and going on-line will reduce your cost. I've found 3/8 is as good as 1/2 but adjust legs accordingly. GLUE,GLUE, GLUE (Good carpenter's) and nail all connections. The glue is where the strength is. Having or borrowing a brad-nailer (elec/air) will be an advantage. Ply quality does not have to have two good sides. Home Depot / Lowes / etc will usually do the cuts for you. The last batch I built cost about $% each for four since I had not discovered you could make a fifth with no more plywood.

Ed

My advice would be to buy LEGO tables for your kids!
The first step is to decide on the size of table you want. The next step is deciding what kind of table. These are some things you need to think about: materials, storage capacity, stability of the table (will it move around?), safety issues and durability. You may want to read this post on the best lego tables for kids.
I have used LEGO tables both at home and in preschools I have worked at, so I know they can provide hours of fun for a child while also developing their motor skills, and excitement while playing with LEGOs will last longer than just looking through them! And because children love moving stuff around I highly recommend getting a silicone mat from LEGO or Little Tikes along with a Magna Doodle board.

14 hours ago, zacharyswift934 said:

My advice would be to buy LEGO tables for your kids!
The first step is to decide on the size of table you want. The next step is deciding what kind of table. These are some things you need to think about: materials, storage capacity, stability of the table (will it move around?), safety issues and durability. You may want to read this post on the best lego tables for kids.
I have used LEGO tables both at home and in preschools I have worked at, so I know they can provide hours of fun for a child while also developing their motor skills, and excitement while playing with LEGOs will last longer than just looking through them! And because children love moving stuff around I highly recommend getting a silicone mat from LEGO or Little Tikes along with a Magna Doodle board.

I don't think the author of that article knows what they are talking about when it comes to LEGO...

• If you have a little one who is moving on from classic LEGO bricks, they might not be too keen when their favorite toy doesn’t fit into the table that used to work just fine. When it comes time for your kids to move onto DUPLO blocks and beyond, make sure any new table will support them as well!

As for the bit about home made LEGO, what are they on about?

They probably just want people to hit all those affiliate links.