Murdoch17

Steampunk style models - giant robot, modular rocket and much more!

I've been on a steampunk kick recently... here are the fruits of my digital labors. The building's a WIP in the real world, while the rest will come later.

From a WHAM product brochure (circa late 1909):

"Here at WHAM (Wayne Highly Advanced Mechanisms) we always have our eyes on the horizon of the future. From our humble beginnings designing our first line of industrial hyper-reactors, to our more recent ideas of regular rockets to the moon, we here at WHAM are always striving to make our world - and beyond - a better place for us, our children, and so on out into the great unknown of the distant future. I should know, because as son of founder of WHAM, Dr. Lucius Wayne, I, Floyd Wayne am here for YOU. Don't believe me? You can see inside this brochure of our upcoming products for 1910 and decide for yourself.

If you have any questions or requests for specific machines, please write to our Marketing and Public Relations department as shown on the back page and I'll see your special needs are filled.

Remember: Don't buy a scam, buy a WHAM!"

42761416891_cf6b986363_z.jpg

Here are the models I've worked on / revised: the giant robot, frog translator chair, laboratory building, automobile, and personal rocket.

40952821580_01fe2209b1_z.jpg

Because why should you not have a steam-powered mobile translator device for your highly intelligent pet Frog?

Oh, and the inventor of this and much more is Lord Floyd Wayne, an eccentric Victorian inventor with whom failure is not an option.

(In case anyone couldn't tell I was listening to Pink Floyd songs while creating these as that's where the inventor's first name came from. Oh, and as a fun note, the frog's chair actually began life as Davros' (creator of the Daleks) chair from Doctor Who. )

27905343697_19f0dc927b_z.jpg

This rocket (named the Golden Bullet) is designed for atmospheric travel only, as it does not have a complete canopy nor air tanks for outer space travel. (actually, it was inspired by LEGO Universe' steampunk rocket, but with more recent parts and several recolors)

27905343717_ededa819be_z.jpg

The ship is powered three smaller booster motors and one larger main engine. (The rocket's original inspiration was taken from the first LEGO MMO from 2010, LEGO Universe.)

28900685478_69fa98d24e_z.jpg

The Golden Bullet comes apart in three sections, with the nose cone, cockpit and engines all being removable from each other. (NOTE: This print is missing from the dark tan 1 x 6 tiles on the driver's compartment.)

28900686998_e279ebf0a6_z.jpg

This giant robot (named the Brass Man) was created by Lord Floyd Wayne as an tool for outer space exploration. Everything the robot sees is transmitted back to it's home base via a hyperspace sub-channel to be recorded and viewed for scientific study.

28900687048_4756197eee_z.jpg

The Brass Man is powered by a experimental hyper-matter reactor, which gives off steam as a safe and harmless by-product. (The robot was originally inspired by @hachiroku's Iron Giant, seen here

42056933394_f29e6e87b6_z.jpg

The monocle seen here is supposed to have this print. as a sort of targeting computer for weapons and for long-distance magnified viewing.

27905343597_8f49ed9251_z.jpg

The robot's main weapon is this laser pistol that disintegrates on contact. Only Lord Floyd (it's inventor)  knows how it works, as he doesn't want any Earth governments to discover it's dark secrets. This device is only to be used for self-preservation and at that only as a last resort.

27908285007_ba947a6f62_z.jpg

I plan on using my version of the 2018 Marvel Comics 'infinity War" set 76108 (Sanctum Sanctorum Showdown) for a 1920's-flavored steampunk take on a mad scientist trying to open a time doorway into the beginning of the universe. What he doesn't know is that creatures from before our universe began were destroyed at that moment, so they will come through the doorway to the mid-1920's as a way of sheltering themselves from that fate. Unfortunately, being from that time frame, of course they want to end our Universe so they can live again in peace.

As this takes place in my Adventure-verse, Johnny Thunder is tasked with shutting down the doorway before our universe sinks back to before the big bang... and Sam Sinister is trying to use the time / space doorway to achieve vast riches by robbing ancient cultures of their valuables using the Time Window, which draws the attention of the giant robot seen next to the building, leading to a cascading domino-like series of events that have not yet been written.

28903613828_47bb96359e_z.jpg

The rear of the building has a ground-floor conservatory. The rearmost window on the bottom floor opens up 90 degrees to allow for figure placement in the conservatory.

As a side note, the original Marvel model's exploding walls and drop-floors have been removed. The means from getting from one floor to another is a spiral staircase, and a small skylight has been added to the roof.

28903613928_2cfdd12d3c_z.jpg

The inside feature the following:

The lower floor has a fireplace with clock on mantle, table with a pizza, and lamp on a side table.

The middle floor features a marble bust on a printed safe, and a bed. The dark red thing in the greenish jar is a beating human heart.

The upper floor features a desk with some sort of electricity storage machinery, several flasks, two bookcases, time portal computer and microscope.

27945368297_4e01fc8f7e_z.jpg

This early-1900's automobile was designed with the tan off-road model in set 76003 (Battle of Smallville) in mind, with a bit of 7628 (Peril in Peru) thrown in for good measure. I was aiming for continuing my Steampunk theme, but ran into a mental roadblock with regards to this car, and about four other prototypes that didn't make he cut. (Sadly, they were accidentally saved over and are now gone)

28941254618_47d460af16_z.jpg

The rear of the model with the spare tire, brake lights, and dual exhaust pipes.

...And that's it for now! Any questions, comments, complaints, and suggestions are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

These are some excellent designs! Especially the robot is really brilliant. Very steampunky shaping on that one. The frog translator is of course just hilarious... something every household should have. :wink:

I also like the rocket a lot. So simple, yet again spot on shaping. I would not know what to change on this one. It just works perfectly.

The house looks very good too. The sanctum does well as a template for it. The added greenhouse gives a nice touch to it. The interior is maybe a bit basic and could need some more weird souvenirs from all over the world and outlandish contraptions (and better no pizza, maybe some Absinthe instead^^).

All in all: amazing stuff! :classic:

11 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Oh, and the inventor of this and much more is Lord Floyd Zeppelin, an eccentric Victorian inventor with whom failure is not an option.

Clever choice of name blending! :thumbup: :laugh:

11 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

This giant robot (named the Brass Man) was created by Lord Floyd Zeppelin as an tool for outer space exploration.

I like the Brass Man name too! :thumbup: :grin:

There's some nice parts use in these, like the use of a crate to hold the seat in the rocket, and the use of nipple tiles and apollo studs as engine cylinders.  The spiral staircase in the 76108 mod looks pretty good, but on the second floor (first above ground level) there doesn't seem to be any room for the minifigures to leave the staircase and step onto the floor without bonking their heads against more stairs.  Have you looked at other solutions for that?  Do you plan to build IRL both the Classic Space and steampunk versions of the Iron Giant?

Edited by icm

On 6/13/2018 at 11:42 AM, Littleworlds said:

These are some excellent designs! Especially the robot is really brilliant. Very steampunky shaping on that one. The frog translator is of course just hilarious... something every household should have. :wink:

I also like the rocket a lot. So simple, yet again spot on shaping. I would not know what to change on this one. It just works perfectly.

The house looks very good too. The sanctum does well as a template for it. The added greenhouse gives a nice touch to it. The interior is maybe a bit basic and could need some more weird souvenirs from all over the world and outlandish contraptions (and better no pizza, maybe some Absinthe instead^^).

All in all: amazing stuff! :classic:

I've actually just obtained some of the fancy trans-green goblets (seen below) as part of a trade. Thanks for the idea of Absinthe, these will work perfectly!

33061.gif 

Thanks again @Littleworlds for the ideas, and I will defiantly use souvenirs / trophy's thought when built! 

On 6/13/2018 at 1:39 PM, danth said:

That Golden Bullet is really cool! 

Thank you @danth! It was originally a LEGO Universe inspired model, but made to be structurally sound and build-able in real bricks.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:18 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Clever choice of name blending! :thumbup: :laugh:

I like the Brass Man name too! :thumbup: :grin:

Thanks @Digger of Bricks! I really struggled with the various names, glad to know people like them!  

1 hour ago, icm said:

There's some nice parts use in these, like the use of a crate to hold the seat in the rocket, and the use of nipple tiles and apollo studs as engine cylinders.  The spiral staircase in the 76108 mod looks pretty good, but on the second floor (first above ground level) there doesn't seem to be any room for the minifigures to leave the staircase and step onto the floor without bonking their heads against more stairs.  Have you looked at other solutions for that?  Do you plan to build IRL both the Classic Space and steampunk versions of the Iron Giant?

I think there is room @icm, it's just kinda hidden in that inside view. Also, probably only the Steampunk Iron Giant will be built... only have room for one, and this one is much cooler that the CS one. The reason the other one exists is because I wasn't sure at one point which one would be best suited for my needs... needless to say, steampunk won out!

27945368297_4e01fc8f7e_z.jpg

This early-1900's automobile was designed with the tan off-road model in set 76003 (Battle of Smallville) in mind, with a bit of 7628 (Peril in Peru) thrown in for good measure. I was aiming for continuing my Steampunk theme, but ran into a mental roadblock with regards to this car, and about four other prototypes that didn't make he cut. (Sadly, these other ones were accidentally saved over and are now gone, leaving this one the only survivor.)

28941254618_47d460af16_z.jpg

The rear of the model with the spare tire, brake lights, and exhaust pipes. The top of the car's hood should be printed, but i'm not telling what it looks like just yet!

5 hours ago, Ninja_Bait said:

Looks almost too classy for adventuring, but I like the concept.

Thanks @Ninja_Bait! I've just updated the main post to include a new name (Floyd Wayne) for the inventor, as well as a explanation as to what Wayne Highly Advanced Mechanisms stands for as his company.

I even came up with a catch-phrase, seen as follows: Don't buy a scam, buy a WHAM!

Edited by Murdoch17