Sign in to follow this  
RedBrick1

Some Basic Layout Questions

After a long hiatus, I am jumping back into the world of LEGO Trains. In doing so, I have a couple of questions. (They may seem a bit basic, but it has been a while...)

• I am wanting to lay some a layer of felt or cloth on my train table that matches the classic green baseplates. Has anyone been able to find a good color match?
  • Baseplates. I just don't have enough. Although I am still trying to scrounge up genuine LEGO baseplates, are there any other alternatives? (I can't believe I'm asking this, but the discontinuation of the classic green baseplates has got me a bit desperate.)

Thank you!

Yes, you can look for cloth for 'cards table' at a fabric store. That's what I use, it works pretty well. The cloth tends to be slightly darker than classic green baseplates.

Alternative to baseplates: that's tough. There are products out there, but the only one I tried did not satisfy me at all: studs were probably a fraction of a mm wider, so bricks or plates on it fit too tightly, making it hard to detach and reuse. I stick to bricklink or the occasional local garage sale, for genuine lego baseplates.

On 6/13/2018 at 2:31 AM, MusicaRibelle said:

Yes, you can look for cloth for 'cards table' at a fabric store. That's what I use, it works pretty well. The cloth tends to be slightly darker than classic green baseplates.

Alternative to baseplates: that's tough. There are products out there, but the only one I tried did not satisfy me at all: studs were probably a fraction of a mm wider, so bricks or plates on it fit too tightly, making it hard to detach and reuse. I stick to bricklink or the occasional local garage sale, for genuine lego baseplates.

Thank you for the suggestion. Trying to match the color as close as possible. I saw a photo once of a layout where they were able to match the color exactly. Kind of OCD about that, so I’ll head down to the fabric store and take a look.

Which baseplate alternative did you use? The studs being too wide isn’t too big of a deal for me, as I’ll probably use those simply to fill space. 

Maybe try a green bed sheet. LOTS of color variations out there.

@RedBrick1 you may have some luck finding the color match of felt material by checking out what billiard table suppliers have to offer. When I worked at a pub they would re-felt the tables and I was always surprised with the large amount of choices they had. 

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:57 PM, Johnny1360 said:

@RedBrick1 you may have some luck finding the color match of felt material by checking out what billiard table suppliers have to offer. When I worked at a pub they would re-felt the tables and I was always surprised with the large amount of choices they had. 

Thank you!

Once I get my table built that is probably what I will end up doing. I am excited to jump back into this again.

Re color matching:  You will never match exactly because of the differences in material and reflectivity, it is just not going to happen.  You maybe able to get close under store lighting conditions but once you get it home, you will notice a difference.  LEGO even has color matching issues, see reddish brown, dark red, etc...

As for baseplates, are you a member of a LUG?  I got a large percentage of my baseplates being a memeber.  We get contacted by people anting to unload their collections and other deals, like store closeouts, etc.

Good luck and welcome back!