Sign in to follow this  
BrJ

4.5V train wheels spin inside motor block

Hi all

my 4.5V battery  train from the mid 70's still works but the wheels spin inside their mounting holes. any ideas? these things are devilishly hard to open up (all glued together) so I don't want to almost destroy it to see what the problem is if there is a simple solution.

someone else must have had this prob and worked out an easy solution?

this motor has no screws ( I wish it did!). seems to be fully glued together.

great to see there were spares, the listing says they are on the wishlist…... at least I know what I need now - something to work from!

thanks

Unfortunately your model  is the first one, so it is glued and if you open it you should glue it again or using some duck tape.

It is very strange that the wheel spin inside, because there are no friction cylinders in this model, the wheels have a pin with cam that engage inside directly on the moving axle; are you using the original wheels? https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=wheel1b#T=C&C=5

because it doesn't worlk with the classical 4,5 ones

ahh that's it! I am using the wrong wheels. those original wheels are long  gone so I will file a flat on some newer wheel shafts to make them engage. thanks heaps for that, it'll be great to get it going again.