SollX

(MOD) Pirate Coaster working lifthill

hi there. I didn't have the budget and space for the big coaster, but i did buy the pirate coaster. 
i wanted to make it more look like a real coaster and so i modded the crap out of it. 

it has a working lifthill with a crank.

also the tracks are a little bit flexible so i could let the fist bend decline a little bit. that difference in hight is compensated by a incline in the second bend

Very clever :). You got around the obrstruction for the chain really well. Will you use any of the other decoration for your final coaster?

On 6/17/2018 at 4:53 PM, jackaly said:

Very clever :). You got around the obrstruction for the chain really well. Will you use any of the other decoration for your final coaster?

i am working on that. 

the coaster is back to being blue, and the train is a plane and the name of the coaster is Cloud 9.
i am working on the station now, and i have to build some scenery around the boulevard 
i will post some pictures soon.

still a massive work in progress, but here are some pics

2018-06-19_08-08-09

IMG_20180619_200407

On 6/19/2018 at 8:23 PM, supertruper1988 said:

Are those brick separators? cool looking build for sure!!!

yes they are :P

IMG_20180620_193904

IMG_20180620_193917

I like it - and it reminds me that my pirate roller coaster is still waiting to be assembled... :pir-grin:

best regards,

cubo

That's awesome!  I want the Creator Rollercoaster, but I'm not sure about room for it.  I've been waiting to see the creativity of some folks with the Pirate Coaster.  I'm impressed.

Looks good!  Like your modifications.  Question, you mentioned the cost of the Creator Roller Coaster was out of your budget.  Curious how much you have in your set now with the modifications.

I was thinking about doing something similar.  Concerned by the time I add the chain, motor, and extra bricks I would be getting close to 1/2 the cost of the Big Creator set.   Not sure where it makes sense to modify the smaller coaster vs just purchasing the larger set?

2 hours ago, LegoDW said:

Looks good!  Like your modifications.  Question, you mentioned the cost of the Creator Roller Coaster was out of your budget.  Curious how much you have in your set now with the modifications.

I was thinking about doing something similar.  Concerned by the time I add the chain, motor, and extra bricks I would be getting close to 1/2 the cost of the Big Creator set.   Not sure where it makes sense to modify the smaller coaster vs just purchasing the larger set?

Well, you have to remember that the larger coaster doesn't come with a motor either, just a hand crank. And most people will probably have some gears and other parts lying around. If you can Bricklink a chain and a motor assembly, and use your own parts for the rest, it's still pretty cheap. 

Also, @SollX, how many chain parts did you need? I want an estimate for how many I should get for my own coaster. 

4 hours ago, LegoDW said:

I have a lot of lego. so i didn't have to purchase any of it. i only bricklinked 50 chain pieces for a couple of euro's

But the cost to ad a chainlift wouldn't be so high if you wanted to bricklink it all

2 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Well, you have to remember that the larger coaster doesn't come with a motor either, just a hand crank. And most people will probably have some gears and other parts lying around. If you can Bricklink a chain and a motor assembly, and use your own parts for the rest, it's still pretty cheap. 

Also, @SollX, how many chain parts did you need? I want an estimate for how many I should get for my own coaster. 

i had 54, an i bought 50 extra. I have some left but i did not count them. 

I  would say i used around 80.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:21 AM, SollX said:

I have a lot of lego. so i didn't

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:21 AM, SollX said:

I have a lot of lego. so i didn't have to purchase any of it. i only bricklinked 50 chain pieces for a couple of euro's

But the cost to ad a chainlift wouldn't be so high if you wanted to bricklink it all

have to purchase any of it. i only bricklinked 50 chain pieces for a couple of euro's

I have not priced out the chain and gear parts.  That is awesome they are not too expensive.  Just need TLG to come out with the hill pieces in gray so can make a more complicated roller coaster.  

This is a fab mod, and now I’ve built mine I’m desperate to do the same.  I don’t suppose there are any closer images looking at how and where the chain and toothed gear sits in relation to the track.  

Also im not sure if it’s just mine, but even pushing the cars through the skull on the original version, there is insufficient momentum to take them round the bend to the larger drop.  Anyone else had this?

i ended up ditching the cloud-9 coaster and build a Pirate pier coaster. here are some pics.

44291660365_9a9aa4c819_b.jpg

45153464652_e7f5012232_b.jpg

45153464732_6ce7a7bac4_b.jpg

30264210987_d18f915d90_b.jpg

43390227720_bf9bd2a950_b.jpg

43390222700_67d33efd55_b.jpg

31458296038_9f47b26730_b.jpg

Looks great!  I'm also trying to build a Pirate Pier coaster.  I was trying to work out the lift hill mechanics, when a cat tree fell down, and busted the entire set.  :cry_sad:  Oops.  Guess I need to control the cats a little better around this place.

So, it's put aside for now, but I like the ideas you have.

That is great! I have received this for Christmas and was just looking for a thread on how to add a working lift hill. I remembered from this thread that I needed to adjust the angles of the curves by adding plates so I did that as I built it on the first build.  

I will be making a full 2x3 baseplate amusement park from mine. I plan to add the UFO spinner that is currently available as well. I also was given the People at the fair pack so I am off to a great start. 

I have already had some issues with the train jumping the track on the return to the station. Have you found this to be an issue here? I was able to remedy mine by adding a short straight after the main drop and small rise. 

Really love that you mirrored your build and added so much to the scene!

13 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

That is great! I have received this for Christmas and was just looking for a thread on how to add a working lift hill. I remembered from this thread that I needed to adjust the angles of the curves by adding plates so I did that as I built it on the first build.  

I will be making a full 2x3 baseplate amusement park from mine. I plan to add the UFO spinner that is currently available as well. I also was given the People at the fair pack so I am off to a great start. 

I have already had some issues with the train jumping the track on the return to the station. Have you found this to be an issue here? I was able to remedy mine by adding a short straight after the main drop and small rise. 

Really love that you mirrored your build and added so much to the scene!

I ended up using verry little angle with the plates. i think only 2 plates or something. (i cant check because i already demolished the coaster.) 

I had no problems of the train jumping the track. the only problem i had was that if the chain is too tight the cars can get pulled off of the track a little bit. maybe your cars are alreaddy loose at the top.

my trains always stayed on the track.