JamesJT

[WIP] RC Car with Seamless Shift Gearbox

The aim of this build is to make an RC car with a "useful" gearbox. I hope it will reach full speed faster by using both gears.

So far I have a gearbox in the 1:10 chassis. It has dual clutch working on the 2 outputs from the buggy motor. Full "throttle" shifts are (almost) instant especially from 1st to 2nd.

The gear change servo is operated by the buwizz "light button". On is 1st, off is second.

I gearbox works perfectly while driving, there is no pause between gears, but the car is light enough to set off in 2nd. If this car becomes too heavy I have a smaller car in reserve.

Edited by JamesJT
details added

1 hour ago, JamesJT said:

Full "throttle" shifts are (almost) instant especially from 1st to 2nd.

Under load situation can (will) be different.

6 hours ago, Jurss said:

Under load situation can (will) be different.

No, the test chassis is only 610g and it works perfectly. When it gets too heavy I will either reduce the size or lower the gearing.

2 hours ago, zweihander said:

That panelling has a real good "speed racer" vibe to it :thumbup:

Thanks. If I don't use it on this MOC I will use it later.

I had to change from buggy motor to 2x L-motor because the buwizz kept shutting down. The "seamless change" gearbox works perfectly and I will make instructions for the module. The car is almost done but I still need to tidy the cockpit and the wire for the steering servo.

42934390372_f16406c47c.jpgIMG_7249 by James Tillson, on Flickr

42265518524_0a10db74d4.jpgIMG_7246 by James Tillson, on Flickr

42265470734_8785082827.jpgIMG_7254 by James Tillson, on Flickr

5 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Very nice use of panels has that jaguar ď type feel to the build 

Thanks. There are bits of C and D type in there, I also thought it looked a bit mid/rear engine like a porsche RS-61.

I need to make a modern car with this gearbox, it would be nice to have a visual clue (such as a pop up spoiler) to show which gear is being used.

The car does reach full speed quicker when using both gears. I have not yet tested it against a version of the car with the high gearing and all gearbox parts removed.