Sign in to follow this  
Captain Genaro

[OL FB] Armory of Lavalette

And the story continues. I've actually had this one done for about two weeks now, but I'm just getting around to taking the pictures. Comments and criticism are welcome. 

Previously: 

28866155158_712f30ecd4_c.jpgLavalette Armory by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

After meeting his old acquaintance, Contre-amiral Lagaufre, Captain Anthony Genaro began walking around the arsenal. Though dwarfed by the sprawling complexes back in Halos, Lavalette’s armory was one of the larger ones in the colonies. Familiar sights and sounds were everywhere as new soldiers received their uniform and weapons while older weapons were maintained and repaired by skilled craftsmen. After walking for a bit, Anthony waited under a balcony looking into a courtyard full of activity. In one corner, a group of grenadiers were ritualistically checking their deadly grenades, carefully inspecting each fuse to ensure that it was still in good condition, of the right length, and properly connected to the grenade. It is a dull, time-consuming process, but one which leaves no room for error, as the slightest mistake could result in one of the deadly spheres failing to explode, or worse, exploding prematurely. Further on in the courtyard, Anthony could various gunsmiths and engineers repairing damaged muskets, a variety of uniformed soldiers going about their duties, and two armorers putting new blades on enough swords to supply a small army.

42739587621_9b2549552c_c.jpgLavalette Armory by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

“Fancy a new edge, sir?” a voice asked.

It took Anthony a moment before he realized that one of the armorers was speaking to him. “A generous offer, but I’m afraid I haven’t long,” he said glancing at the chest full of unsharpened swords.

The armrer simply shrugged. “Oh, don’t you worry about those there swords; they can wait, but we can’t have a proper gentleman wondering about with a dull sword now. You’ll become the laughting stock of the whole army!”

Anthony laughed as he unsheathed his cheap, five guinea dress sword. “I’m afraid you’re wrong on both accounts, my friend. I’m no gentleman, and I’m fairly certain the a naval officer is already the laughting stock of the whole army.”

42739584111_d60d4dc73f_c.jpgLavalette Armory by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

The armeror simply shrugged as he took the sword. “Gentleman, commoner, army, navy… your coins all look the same to me.”

As the armorer began putting the sword to his stone, Anthony continued looking at all the activity in the courtyard. “Rather busy,” he remarked.

“It’s been this way ever since the 31st arrived from Halos,” the armorer replied, not taking his eyes off his work. “Not that I’m complaining, mind you. A bunch of army gents just coming off their boats, pockets bulging with coins, ah, you’d be amazed, sir, absolutely amazed, by how easy it is to coinvince them to get their sword sharpened,” the armeror continued in a very casual tone, but Anthony didn’t care. After all, it wasn’t as if he needed to exert authority over this man. “They think it impresses the ladies, they do. Fools,” the armorer said the a chuckle. “But not the navy boys, sir. Oh, no! They’re smarter, smarter by far sir!” 

“And I suppose you’ll be telling the next cavalry man who walks past how they’re the elite, astute soldiers who couldn’t be fooled by the likes of you, eh?”

“That’s just what I’m talking about, sir, you’re gone and proven my point! Perceptive you navy men are, able to see right through any flattery!” At this point the armorer held up the sharpened sword. “And equally able, no doubt, to notice the skill that went into sharpening your blade.”

Anthony pressed his thumb against the blade. Sharp, very sharp, and a very even job up and down the whole sword’s edge. “A fine job indeed,” Anthony replied as he handed the man a livre.

“Very generous, sir, very kind indeed,” the armorer said as Anthony tunred to leave. “And if you know anyone, any sir, who needs some sharpening, just send them on this way.”

“Even a Corrie?” Anthony said in jest.

At this, the armorer twisted his face. “Alas, sir, the good Lord has blessed me with the skills to sharpen swords and metal, but the dull mind of a Corrie is beyond even my expertise.”

28866161748_9a171b89c7_c.jpgLavalette Armory by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Anthony couldn’t help but laughing, a deep laugh from his belly, as he walked on to the tavern where he would meet Lagaufre. “Oh, I’ll have to remember that one,” Anthony said to himself. “Sharpen the dull wit of a Corrie.”

A few more pictures: 

42739590631_ecfa689d7d_c.jpgLavalette Armory by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

42739593741_ee9eef2edc_c.jpgLavalette Armory by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

27870547857_55fd30ccbe_c.jpgLavalette Armory by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Edited by Captain Genaro

A wonderful build and a well-written story.

I like the variety of colours and textures used on the walls - looking great and making more than clear that Oleanders can not build properly. :tongue:

I feel like we see the preperations for even more upcoming warcrimes by Oleon here...

Edited by Drunknok

I love the stone wheel ... My childhood has thanked you for the trip down memory lane (sharpened pocket knife one a similar wheel)

Is this your design or a borrowed one? I will be using this in the future for sure.

Great job on the stonework, it turned out great.

Excellent design on the sharpening stone wheel! good eye for detail too to have the water bucket next to them.

An interesting story to follow - I am happy to see the captain himself getting some more screen time (as we have discussed elsewhere, I am hoping Cooke can experience the same...). One can only wonder where this story will lead.

It seems Genaro has picked up some bicorne-fashion in King's Harbour, now wearing it back-to-front rather than left-to-right. :pir-wink:

I really like your colour choices and detailing of the building, and there are several interesting activities going on in the build. Well done.

A beautiful build Captain Genaro, I love the colours used for the stucco effect and that sharpening stone is wonderful - I have already saved it away on Flickr for future use! I also like the bustling activity of all the blue-coats - and the red-coated drummer -  A nice little detail!

On 12/06/2018 at 5:07 AM, Captain Genaro said:

“Sharpen the dull whit of a Corrie.”

Lol! nice one!

Great to see you finally got this build posted. The wall texture is really good and the little details like the grinder and the tables added a lot to the build, and I like the story.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, Professor Thaum said:

A Wonderful one

The whole texture is great

A very cool built

Thank you, professor. The texture is very time consuming, but I am very pleased with how it came out.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:44 PM, Drunknok said:

A wonderful build and a well-written story.

I like the variety of colours and textures used on the walls - looking great and making more than clear that Oleanders can not build properly. :tongue:

I feel like we see the preperations for even more upcoming warcrimes by Oleon here...

I'm going to blame the shoddy construction on the Corrish contractor.

And it's only a war crime if Oleon looses.:grin: 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Awesome build and great story! Very entertaining!

Thank you. 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

I love the stone wheel ... My childhood has thanked you for the trip down memory lane (sharpened pocket knife one a similar wheel)

Is this your design or a borrowed one? I will be using this in the future for sure.

I'm glad I could bring back some (hopefully fun and happy) memories. The design is my own, and I look forward to seeing how you use and improve on it. 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:06 AM, Bart said:

Great job on the stonework, it turned out great.

Excellent design on the sharpening stone wheel! good eye for detail too to have the water bucket next to them.

Thank you, Bart. I like to represent the process as accurately as possible. 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:47 AM, Bregir said:

An interesting story to follow - I am happy to see the captain himself getting some more screen time (as we have discussed elsewhere, I am hoping Cooke can experience the same...). One can only wonder where this story will lead.

It seems Genaro has picked up some bicorne-fashion in King's Harbour, now wearing it back-to-front rather than left-to-right. :pir-wink:

I really like your colour choices and detailing of the building, and there are several interesting activities going on in the build. Well done.

Thank you, good sir. I do hope Cooke gets to see a little more activity soon.

But I fear I must disappoint you when it comes to fashion. Genaro has worn his hat bow-to-stern prior to leaving for King's Harbor. Far better for keeping the tropical sun and rain off your face. 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, Ayrlego said:

A beautiful build Captain Genaro, I love the colours used for the stucco effect and that sharpening stone is wonderful - I have already saved it away on Flickr for future use! I also like the bustling activity of all the blue-coats - and the red-coated drummer -  A nice little detail!

Lol! nice one!

I'm very glad that you like it. I'm rather surprised that more people haven't commented on the drummer's uniform, but I'm pleased that it hasn't gone unnoticed by everyone.

54 minutes ago, Bodi said:

Great to see you finally got this build posted. The wall texture is really good and the little details like the grinder and the tables added a lot to the build, and I like the story.

Thank you, Bodi. It took far too long to get this posted, but now that it is up I hope that we can continue Genaro's talk with Lagaufre.