LM71Blackbird

[COR-FB-Class 5 Ship] Galleon "Turaco"

Class 5 Galleon "Turaco"

42678143382_fd7cff1c18_b.jpgGalleon 1.2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Another new vessel from the Quinnsville shipyards is the Galleon "Turaco".

41827586595_eb37844287_b.jpgGalleon 1.3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

She is short and fat but has loads of cargo space, which makes it a very good ship to have in a trading convoy. She is far from heavily armed with just a few deck guns for protection, so she must never travel alone through dangerous waters.

42678143272_6b168d5fef_b.jpgGalleon 1.4 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

She is manned by a small crew, but she is easy to sail and brings them a profit, so the men have plenty of motivation to make monthly voyages.

-----------------------------------

This is my first time building a galleon type ship, but I think it turned out pretty well. I have a few more of these planned, so they should get better the more I make. C&C are welcome and appreciated and thanks for looking! And for those of you who may be wondering, a Turaco is a bird from Southern Africa.

Very nice! I like the rounded shape, and the use of those wedge pieces on the sides is very clever! :thumbup:

4 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Very nice! I like the rounded shape, and the use of those wedge pieces on the sides is very clever! :thumbup:

Thank you! I'm glad I could get the weighted down look of a galleon!

Nice looking galleon, LM! I like the innovative way of achieving tumblehome and shaping of the hull with those slope pieces in the middle, and I think you have done well hitting the characteristics of a galleon within the confines of classic lego ship building.

The most fantastic thing, though, is your work on the rigging. You have really improved, and the sails are placed correctly and of the correct type. I also like your crows nests and the spritmast and spritsail. My only comment is that I think she will be really hard to steer with all those sails up front! (I think your mainmast is a bit too far forward, and perhaps your foremast a bit too far aft, but I am less sure about that) :)

That is nitpicking, though - overall a very nice build. Good luck with your new vessel - may she avoid the kraken and serve her crew well!

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

Nice looking galleon, LM! I like the innovative way of achieving tumblehome and shaping of the hull with those slope pieces in the middle, and I think you have done well hitting the characteristics of a galleon within the confines of classic lego ship building.

The most fantastic thing, though, is your work on the rigging. You have really improved, and the sails are placed correctly and of the correct type. I also like your crows nests and the spritmast and spritsail. My only comment is that I think she will be really hard to steer with all those sails up front! (I think your mainmast is a bit too far forward, and perhaps your foremast a bit too far aft, but I am less sure about that) :)

That is nitpicking, though - overall a very nice build. Good luck with your new vessel - may she avoid the kraken and serve her crew well!

Thank you! I did some research and looked up some pictures of galleons before doing the rigging. I almost didn't have a sprit sail! I have a few more galleons I want to make so they should get even better with more practice!

OOC: Very nice ship, I especially like the time you took to find to research before you build and find a fitting name. The design is beautiful.

IC: Corrington may be proud now, but only wait until the Sea Rats spot her when she's all filled up with precious booty! :pir-devil:

1 hour ago, Fraunces said:

OOC: Very nice ship, I especially like the time you took to find to research before you build and find a fitting name. The design is beautiful.

IC: Corrington may be proud now, but only wait until the Sea Rats spot her when she's all filled up with precious booty! :pir-devil:

Thanks! I like to use bird names for my merchant ships and wanted the design to really be recognizable as a galleon.

We are proud and protected by the HMS Dominance!