Sign in to follow this  
Sariel

42083 VS 42056: Bugatti Chiron VS Porsche comparison

Now that we have two licensed Technic supercars, it's time to compare them carefully step by step, with special emphasis on the bonus category ;)

I finished assembling my Chiron, and for some reason I'm liking the Porsche better. It's a simpler design but it really captures the aerodynamic sports car look. Besides it has working front suspension and smoother driving and steering. In addition I can't enjoy the gearbox on the Chiron, since I only drive it on my dresser and the gearbox doesn't engage until after pushing it a few feet (which is too much for my dresser length). With the Porsche I had no problem, it engages the gearbox and engine immediately. Also the steering and shifting mechanism is much easier to reach in the Porsche.

If I had to choose between the two models I would definitely go for the Porsche!

Had not a shade of a doubt that the Chiron would clinch it. I'm no car enthusiast, but even I think the Chiron is just plain better. Great video and love those hamsters! :thumbup:

Edited by Maaboo35

What you forgot to mention in the Colors section was the color for the interior; which I find much better on the Chiron. On the Porsche, the interior can hardly be seen because it uses the same colors.

As for steering, are you sure the radius is 210 cm, or did you mean the diameter? If ind ith ard to believe a full circle with ny of these cars has 4 meters diameter. 2 sounds more credible to me, seeing the steering angle.

Porsche winning the Motorization section is essentially giving points for empty space. Since when is empty space a pro on a Technic model?

Also, why are you consistently caling 42056 by its make, and 42083 by its model? Why not Porsche vs Bugatti or GT3RS vs Chiron?

Edit: also, since how long do you have two hamsters? :sweet: I thought you only had the Chiron hamster, the Porsche hamster seems new. 
Edited by Erik Leppen

3 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:
As for steering, are you sure the radius is 210 cm, or did you mean the diameter? If ind ith ard to believe a full circle with ny of these cars has 4 meters diameter. 2 sounds more credible to me, seeing the steering angle.

Edit: also, since how long do you have two hamsters? :sweet: I thought you only had the Chiron hamster, the Porsche hamster seems new. 

Sorry, it's the diameter. These cars need a little over 2 meters to turn around. My bad.

I always keep two hamsters. You could have seen this particular pair already back in 2016:

Nice one @Sariel. I was wondering will someone compare the two.

Of course the Chiron will be the winner. With each new product comes new advancement. But I’m still a fun of the Porsche, both the real and the Lego car.

Come on, did you (general public) really think that Chiron will bit the Porsche in handling? The Porsche is the ultimate driver’s car. :classic:

Has anyone noticed that both cars have the same side mirrors and same design of the rear quarter panels (fenders + the curved panel on top)?

Nice one with the hamsters, they always make my day. :thumbup:

This was a really interesting video, thanks for making this. Finally, 2 sets that are legitimately comparable have been compared! I once saw a video comparing 42039 and 42056... :look:

Anyways, I like the Porsche just slightly more. It seems more inviting and IMO looks better, especially because of the Chiron's ruined front end.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

@Sariel I think those Chiron rims are sticking and overlap with the tire to give an impression that tire is thinner as it is in real Chiron. That gives a possibility to use the same tire on both cars, but give an impression that they are two different tires as the inner diameter differs. :)

1 hour ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I once saw a video comparing 42039 and 42056... :look:

Horrible. Decision.

At 13:32 you claim the Porsche rims are more versatile since they fit the standard Lego hubs, and with the addition of standard pins they fit the Chiron hubs, too.

The Porsche rims DO NOT fit the Chiron hubs with standard pins. :wink: Unless you use 3L blue pins or something like that, which still isn't going to work right.

Edited by Meatman

5 hours ago, Meatman said:

At 13:32 you claim the Porsche rims are more versatile since they fit the standard Lego hubs, and with the addition of standard pins they fit the Chiron hubs, too.

The Porsche rims DO NOT fit the Chiron hubs with standard pins. :wink: Unless you use 3L blue pins or something like that, which still isn't going to work right.

He actually showed right there in the video how you can fit them. And yes it does require 3L pins, but he used different approach which is more stabile.

52 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'd go with 42039! It has a B-model and it can be motorized.

Agreed, but comparing them, chips vs cookies.

When the Porsche came out, it's not that far-fetched to compare it to the previous most recent large-scale race-car Technic set, which the 42039 Le Mans car was.

I think it's a very logical comparison to find out how much news that € 300 set brings above a 120 set. Remember there was little else that the Porsche could be compared to, so for people wanting to know whether they want it, it's very sensible to find the most similar set and compare it with that.

2 hours ago, pagicence said:

He actually showed right there in the video how you can fit them. And yes it does require 3L pins, but he used different approach which is more stabile.

At what point in the video is it shown how to attach the Porsche rims to the Chiron hubs with standard pins? Are you sure that you are not confusing how he shows to connect the Chiron wheel to the older standard hub?

On 11/06/2018 at 12:09 AM, pagicence said:

Nice one @Sariel

Come on, did you (general public) really think that Chiron will bit the Porsche in handling? The Porsche is the ultimate driver’s car. :classic:

Nope, 8865 test car is the ultimate drivers car :laugh:

Seriously though, when they build the next one, they should have 8865 built to use as a standard to aim for and even possibly beat in terms of how the suspension and steering should feel. 8880 has possibly even better and higher quality feeling steering with its hand of God option and less slack in the wheel "bearings" but it's suspension was too hard. The UCS sets are both good overall, but for how much they cost the steering really does feel cheap and nasty.

Edited by allanp

I would hope the Chiron would be better, you'd expect each new set from Lego of this type to slowly improve and make changes and introduce new parts, techniques. 

Right from the early first Technic super car 8860 - to today each set should be a new challenge and bring new ground. I have both, but only just got around to building the Porsche, I look forward to the Bugatti next. 

Good video BTW

13 hours ago, Meatman said:

At what point in the video is it shown how to attach the Porsche rims to the Chiron hubs with standard pins? Are you sure that you are not confusing how he shows to connect the Chiron wheel to the older standard hub?

Yup, my bad. But never the less, same principle applies.

20 minutes ago, pagicence said:

Yup, my bad. But never the less, same principle applies.

Not exactly.. It applies in the sense that you can connect the 42056 wheels to the 42083 hubs using the double pulley method, but it does not work well for a few reasons...

1.) The 42083 hub already adds a 1/2 stud more distance than the ones from the 42056 do, and adding the pulley spacer technique ends up adding another full stud, which is defeating the purpose of the great offset that the 42056 wheel has...

2.) The fact that you are now adding that extra stud results in the wheel not being very stable with the pulleys flexing and coming apart when suspension is added and you press down on them... Using the 3L blue friction pins instead of 6 black pins helps a little, but it's still not very good because the point where the suspension arms sits so far back now...

The 42083 hubs do work by adding 3 black friction pins to the smaller wheels like the ones in the 42077...

Edited by Paul Boratko