It is with great pleasure (and some trepidation) that I present my first Eurobricks worthy MOC. A tow truck!

1280x960.jpg

The inspiration came after I built the excellent 42043 C model mobile-crane by M_longer. As I took it apart I thought the boom reminded me of the tow trucks that have rescued me many times.

I pulled all my sets apart, put the elements in a big pile and when I had spare time I would try and turn the image in my mind into brick built reality. This is the end product after many months of building and rebuilding and pulling apart to change around.

Power Functions:

1X XL motor for drive (RC)

1X Servo motor for steering (RC)

1X L motor raises/lowers boom (RC)

1X M motor drives 2 output gearbox (RC)

1X M motor with switch for winch

PF lights

The gearbox is manually switched to either extend/retract the boom or raise/lower the rear platform.

The cab is based on 42043 with the doors and windscreen virtually identical. it was much too tall so I changed the front and door bottoms to lower it (and make it a Volvo :classic:) and changed the roof to integrate the IR receivers. I had to remove a massive amount of the internal structure to make room for the servo motor and M motor under the seats but it is still a very sturdy model.

800x623.jpg

800x600.jpg

The yellow and grey 3X1 half beams near the winch motor are to switch the clutch for the M motor under the cab. Once the side panels are in place it is not easy to access.

800x566.jpg

It's all quite a snug fit with no wasted space. Many times I had to undo work I had already done in order to add a simple support or change things around.

800x600.jpg

The boom is extended by worm gear. thanks again @M_longer and the drive to the end uses a sliding 8 tooth gear. Purists should skip to the next paragraph now..... (I didn't have the sliding variant but I did have a regular one and a Dremel)

So why was this a learning curve? Because I really gained a lot of insight into creating my own models. I had to get around part limitations like not having steering hubs for example. I also spent a lot of time undoing things I had already done so for my next MOC I'll try to plan a lot more digitally and as a whole, rather than making a rear axle and then making a boom and then making a front axle and then trying to mash them all together. I might even try another tow truck where everything is a little more organised.

There has been some very interesting discussion lately about making Eurobricks more active and using feedback as a way to improve which is why I'm now posting rather than lurking. Any and all comments are welcome. As a reward for reading to the end of my post here is the essential underneath pic.

800x600.jpg

And of course a functions video. Enjoy!

This is a decent model, you did right having decided to post it. It seems to work quite well, but the rear would benefit from more subtle finishing, like fenders, for example.

As the next step in improving your building skill I suggest adding a suspension to it or your next MOC.

Nice truck. :classic:

Is there some kind of list of how to an 'approved' Eurobricks MOC?  Like some instructions for a MOC or something I can get so I can make a winning 'my MOC' thread?  Sorry, being naughty, maybe ignore that :grin:

Yours is more finished than mine :wink:

32176894692_f7489bf323.jpg

Edited by andythenorth

Interesting motor placement in the chassis. Have you considered using the clutch gear for the winch closer to the motor? Now your winch is as strong as the white gear.

Very nice. We all have to start somewhere. At least you've completed a moc to present (which is more than I can say for yourself). I've not completed anything for a while. I would change the panel with the "Volvo" name and put it at the end of the boom. Keep it up.

H

Very nice, it might have looked a bit better if all the side panels were white, but other than that, it's really quite good! :thumbup:

6 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Nice! Is it your first moc, or the best you have made?

:look:

12 hours ago, ukbajadave said:

...my first Eurobricks worthy MOC

Something tells me that your building skills and MOCs were "EB worthy" long before this nice truck.
I like the mechanical operation of the wheel-holder-frame ( - do not know the right name for that feature :( ) 

Thank you all for taking time to look at my model with fresh eyes.

17 hours ago, Dalafik said:

...the rear would benefit from more subtle finishing, like fenders, for example.

...I suggest adding a suspension to it or your next MOC.

I guess by fenders you mean what I would call wheelarches rather than bumpers?

I did try a couple of solutions in dark grey to match the front but I couldn't make them secure whilst only keeping them 1 wide.

In the end I came up with something in black which I agree adds visual interest to an otherwise plain panel.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

16 hours ago, M_longer said:

Interesting motor placement in the chassis. Have you considered using the clutch gear for the winch closer to the motor? Now your winch is as strong as the white gear.

The winch is definitely something I'm going to re visit. I think I'm going to turn the motor 180° and try to fit in a 2L clutch so the string can pull out freely.

12 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Nice! Is it your first moc, or the best you have made?

By far the best :classic: My first after my dark ages was this little beauty, specifically made to fit 2 horses and 2 minifigs side by side (as long as they hold hands)

Note the skillful use of 70s and 80s bricks with teeth marks from my personal collection.

800x600.jpg

800x1067.jpg

5 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Very nice, it might have looked a bit better if all the side panels were white, but other than that, it's really quite good! :thumbup:

:look:

I agree. Ultimately I was limited to the parts on hand but having seen how cheap panels are from Pick A Brick this is also something I might improve. More parts is always nice, right?

3 hours ago, ukbajadave said:

and try to fit in a 2L clutch so the string can pull out freely.

Check out how it was made in 42009 - there's a worm gear that keeps the winch in place, but it is also secured by clutch gear.

Nice truck. Good scale, not too large. This is a nice size to work in, I find. Also, nice array of functions. The main boom looks good, I like how you operated a function on a telescoping section. You might want to know there's special frictionless 8t gears for exactly this application, which appeared in red in 42009. These have an axle hole, but can slide over axles the same way that 2L worm gears do.

Why did you use the Unimog portal axles for the rear? I think if you remove those, and change the chassis a bit (use the strength of the 5x7 differential casing frames to your advantage), you could do double tyres at the rear (unless here's something else in the way I didn't see).

Also, except for the boom, it's a bit monochromatic for my taste. Personally I prefer if models have a bit more color. But that's a matter of taste, of course. I think the rear wheel arches are an improvement, although I would personally add wheel arches first and then the panels above them (similar to the front), rather than do panels first and then wheel arches attached to the sides.

However, if you can only work with what you have, you're always going to be a bit limited, and we can't see your parts collection, so making usable suggestions is always harder then. All that said, I think your truck is a very nice way to introduce yourself as a builder. Curious to see what will come from you in the future.