Sign in to follow this  
The Stad

AoM Store Phase 1: Trading

The man was beyond the age of pushing a plow, but not so old that this journey was too much for him, and so he was given the task of leading the cart into the highlands. 

While the fields in the lowlands had been quite fruitful last year, the mountains of the Burial Isle had seen little rain and yielded sparse harvests.  Thus, to hold the inland communities over until their crops had begun to mature, the well-supplied granaries of the coasts had been instructed to sell their surplus to those towns and villages that were soon to face hunger. 

The old man didn't mind the task so much, though, for the sun on that spring day was pleasant, and the scent of the flowers around him made that of the oxen beside him almost tolerable.

27810298457_090ee9d7be_z.jpg

Spoiler

Just the landscape.

41960858254_4ca9e48e4e_z.jpg

This was a quick, experimental build to try out the rock technique and give the tree (which I've had for a while) a place to go.

I like the rockwork, as it ventures very far from the standard studs up slopes that get seen often. If you could find a way to get a plate or two more in there, or something to fill a few of the gaps, I think it would look even better. I am assuming that since the tree and the rocks were your focus in the build, you did not take much time to worry about the path; it could use some more texturing, probably of the round sort (since most rocks that I have seen on paths like that are not rectangular; nor are they quite circles, but given the limitations of LEGO I think round looks better). I like the tree and the cart is also well done. Good job on the quick build!

I have never thought of using such big pieces when rockworking, but seems like it works!

On the other hand, I'm no real fan of the road pavement, especially the 1x4 and 2x4 tiles are too rectangular for my liking. But you managed to hide it very well under that beautiful wagon!

Also thumbups for the vegetation, good job :classic:

The rockwork is awesome!  I like the details of vegetation and the flowering tree too--the color choices are great.  The road wasn't super convincing for me at first, with the rectangles, but then when I thought of it as the remnants of an old paved road, it made a little more sense.  If you were trying to convey that, you could try add in a few dark grey tiles, and maybe put a couple together in a staggered configuration like brickwork.  I love the wagon and ox, too.  Very nice little vignette!

The rockwork is interesting. It looks like rounded boulders, like this, which isn't the usual Lego rockwork. I think the technique could be perfected (gaps and such) but it's a great base.

sad6A.jpg

On 6/9/2018 at 11:20 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I like the tree and the cart is also well done. Good job on the quick build!

Thanks HQ, trying to keep the momentum going on the freebuilds before the (hopefully) impending Book 3.

On 6/9/2018 at 12:39 PM, TitusV said:

I have never thought of using such big pieces when rockworking, but seems like it works!

While it could use some improvement, it's pretty easy with some mixels joints and bracket SNOT pieces.  Having a back to keep light from coming through the build would probably make it even better... 

On 6/9/2018 at 10:06 PM, Grover said:

The rockwork is awesome!  I like the details of vegetation and the flowering tree too--the color choices are great.  The road wasn't super convincing for me at first, with the rectangles, but then when I thought of it as the remnants of an old paved road, it made a little more sense.  If you were trying to convey that, you could try add in a few dark grey tiles, and maybe put a couple together in a staggered configuration like brickwork.  I love the wagon and ox, too.  Very nice little vignette!

Thanks Grover, that was indeed the intended look with the rectangular tiles.  I'll definitely incorporate a little more dark grey and tighter spacing next time around.

On 6/10/2018 at 12:46 PM, mccoyed said:

The rockwork is interesting. It looks like rounded boulders, like this, which isn't the usual Lego rockwork. I think the technique could be perfected (gaps and such) but it's a great base.

Thanks mccoyed, I agree that there is some further development required, but I'm glad it looks like what I was hoping it looked like!

Very promising rock design, I'm sure as you used it more you would get even better with the technique :thumbup: Neat combination of colors for the tree too.
It's always fun putting the bag accessory to use, and it gives a nice load for the wagon here :classic: