Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[COR-FB1] The Royal Shipyard of Mesabi Landing

Type: Royal Factory

A wagon rumbled along the tracks towards the largest building in Mesabi Landing, the royal shipyard.

40852156270_f0c0215ee9_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

The structure was massive, and was built into the harbour, for immediate ship launch.

42610773972_99ddfc499a_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

The designers, architects, and engineers carefully studied the designs, before relaying the information to the grunts for execution.

41761076645_d77c89af88_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

Today, 2 ships were under construction, the WTC Robin and the WTC Blue Moon.

41761076655_1b3948b097_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

Agnes and Mordo walked towards the factory, their usual custom for when a new factory was operational.

27791291987_ddaaff6041_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

Agnes walked to the table with a manifest. "We need you to double your output. We need more money to fund this giant factory."

40852156410_490458f6a2_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

Inside, wood was cut, and unloaded, all from other islands that actually had trees. 

27791292327_11129f2a4e_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

A crane lifted materials from the rail cars to the staging ground.

27791292007_7d10886856_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

The ships were almost completed, and the launch was planned later that day.

28787115228_857ef05c64_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

Finally, a ship was ready. 2 horses got it moving down the rails to the sea.

28787115158_135d2e4c09_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

Slowly, it moved down the rails.

41942672454_f9641a780d_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

It slid down the rails into the water.

41942671624_7067b5bd36_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

And with that, the WTC had another ship.

42660372021_992a530884_z.jpgThe royal shipyard by North White, on Flickr

FIN

Thanks for viewing this massive build I did. The hard part wasn't building it, but photographing it in my tiny room was damn near impossible.

I'd like to license this as a royal factory for the WTC. As this requires a charter, I hereby apply for it. I hope that this build meets the requirements for a royal build. The footprint is 96x96, which is lower than the 100x100 requirement, but I feel this is a little arbitrary, and hope leadership would agree. If you would like it to be 100x100, I can add a 32x32 section to the factory. As for the quality, I have put my best foot forward with the pieces I have, and I hope leadership would allow for this to be considered of royal quality. If it is not, well, I'll just license 3 large factories this month. 

C&C appreciated, as usual.

Edited by Mesabi

Well you mentioned you had something 'big' in the works - and it certainly doesn't disappoint! The busy scene is appropriate for such a large centre of industry and has lots of cool little details. The train rails are a nice touch and the siding works very well. I really like the angled ramps and SNOT water. The colour scheme on the façade of the building works really well - I like the dark red roof - and the brown highlights and discoloured white bricks break up the wall nicely. Actually the façade alone clearly demonstrates the level of improvement you are making since first starting!  The tans and light yellow make for a good looking sand layer outside (actually I really like the use of light yellow here - it really adds to the effect! The green of the palm trees also contrast really well with all the industrial and earthy colours. The grey base around the yard itself would probably benefit from a little more detail here and there - it looks very clean for a WTC facility, although it does appear several of the minifigs have collapsed halfway through the launch, so probably typical after-all!  :pir-laugh:

Altogether an impressive effort! I can't speak for all of leadership, but it's a :thumbup: from me personally in regards to a Royal charter. Well done!

The good, the bad, and the ugly:

• The good
    • Quality
      This is a great build, and really shows improvement and that you have put in the extra effort. Quality wise I cannot imagine that the court will not accept it.
      When i first saw the pictures with the rails, I was a little concerned you might have overdone it (considering that railways as we know them, are outside the scope of BoBS), but they are perfectly integrated in the build as a part of the factory infrastructure to move things around. I also like the use of rails for the slipways.
      You have also included a lot of different aspects of production and the scene is very lively. That you have added some dynamics with several steps of the process is something I really like. It is nice when people take the time to repose and take pictures of something happening. Both inside and outside looks very busy, and there are lots of things going on.
      It did take me a while to spot the horses, and they appear to have disappeared shortly after. Never trust the WTC with a horse... :P
  • The bad
    • Finish
      As have been mentioned before, I think you could work a bit more with your finish. In one way, you have done so by keeping the whole scene busy - there are no empty spots. On the other hand, there are quite some places with unsightly studs. I know this is limited by the bricks available, but I would suggests you look into increasing your supply of slopes and tiles over time, to be able to improve here.
    • Minifigs
      While I like your innovative use of non-pirate torsos, I would personally like to see more consistencey and period appropriateness in your choice of minifigs. Again, this is a question of parts availability (and minifigs can be expensive...), but I am not personally a fan of mixing yellows with fleshies, and more so, not a fan of mixing different styles of minifigs. The star wars minifig styles are different from the castle ones, the new ones different from the old, etc.
  • The ugly
    • Footprint
      The 10.000 stud footprint requirement for Royal has always been and will always be, absolute. So you will have to add something more to this build to reach the 10.000 studs. You are short 784 studs, which you can add by smaller or larger builds. Could be a number of vignettes, or a single larger build.
    • Vessels
      Depending on how much you exceed the 10.000 stud footprint, you will not be able to license the vessels with out considerable extra building effort. Why, you might ask. Well, right now, the two vessels under construction are part of the footprint, so taking them away would decrease the eligible footprint.

Let me know if any of this is unclear.

Undoubtedly your best build yet - keep up improving and there is no telling where you will end up!

That's a big one for sure. And full of "life" but I second @Bregir for his comments, especially for the slopes and the tiles. You proved that you can have pretty decent skills for the finishing touches (your water, thoses jury-rigged rails :thumbup: and the manual crane), but sometimes it looks like you skimp this or that part of a built.

In planning for the future : think about your project of the Tiberia university...

On 02/06/2018 at 5:17 AM, Mesabi said:

Your build must be of excellent quality, and low quality builds will not be accepted to the project. This will be decided upon by Corrish leadership. LDD is allowed, as well.

A royal built must deserve the same standards IMHO.

Anyway... that's a good one, but still WIP, it just need some improvement. (funky all this TNT boxes spread into the built)

Well, this is... massive! :pir-grin:

I like this build a lot, and second most of Ayrlegos comments. You could add 1x1 and 1x2 plates of different greys to the dark grey areas to break up the "flatness" (similar to this). Contrary to Bregir, I appreciate the use of different minifig skins - it adds a lot in visual variety, keep it that way!

As for the additional build: sails are not covered in the current build, so you could something in that area. Or how about some worker barracks?

Either way: great effort so far, well done! :thumbup:

Impressive build Mesabi, I'm glad to see the WTC investing more efforts on shipbuilding. 

On 6/8/2018 at 12:06 AM, Ayrlego said:

Well you mentioned you had something 'big' in the works - and it certainly doesn't disappoint! 

Altogether an impressive effort! I can't speak for all of leadership, but it's a :thumbup: from me personally in regards to a Royal charter. Well done!

Thank you Ayrlego! Once I get that last 32x32 section finished, I'll have it licensed.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:13 AM, LM71Blackbird said:

Really great build Mesabi! It's hard to top Ayrlego's comment, but I agree with all he said! Keep up the great work!

Thank you!

On 6/8/2018 at 1:56 AM, Bregir said:

• The good
    • Quality
      This is a great build, and really shows improvement and that you have put in the extra effort. Quality wise I cannot imagine that the court will not accept it.

Thanks. I really think I've improved as a builder over the past year, and I hope it shows. Since this was a large build, my pieces were spread quite thin so it might be a little under detailed in places. 

• The bad
    • Finish
      As have been mentioned before, I think you could work a bit more with your finish. In one way, you have done so by keeping the whole scene busy - there are no empty spots. On the other hand, there are quite some places with unsightly studs. I know this is limited by the bricks available, but I would suggests you look into increasing your supply of slopes and tiles over time, to be able to improve here.

Aye. Pieces were spread quite thin during the build, and I'm surprised  I even had enough to finish it. I hope that doesn't show that much, but I wish I had more pieces to have made it look prettier. My partner would not approve however, and my wallet would hurt too. It's hard being a graduate student when it comes to lego!

• Minifigs
      While I like your innovative use of non-pirate torsos, I would personally like to see more consistencey and period appropriateness in your choice of minifigs. Again, this is a question of parts availability (and minifigs can be expensive...), but I am not personally a fan of mixing yellows with fleshies, and more so, not a fan of mixing different styles of minifigs. The star wars minifig styles are different from the castle ones, the new ones different from the old, etc.

I feel like this is a point we will always disagree on. Well it can be quite jarring with some of the older pirate torsos, many of the star wars torsos work actually really well for Pirates. I mean the WTC torsos are from the Tusken Raiders in the SW line. Additionally, I've always seen yellow minifigs perhaps as a racial difference in the lego world, and I've actually made a few hidden jokes with that. Regardless, I'll try to make my minifigs match better in the future. :classic:

• The ugly
    • Footprint
      The 10.000 stud footprint requirement for Royal has always been and will always be, absolute. So you will have to add something more to this build to reach the 10.000 studs. You are short 784 studs, which you can add by smaller or larger builds. Could be a number of vignettes, or a single larger build.
    • Vessels
      Depending on how much you exceed the 10.000 stud footprint, you will not be able to license the vessels with out considerable extra building effort. Why, you might ask. Well, right now, the two vessels under construction are part of the footprint, so taking them away would decrease the eligible footprint.

I will get those last few studs finished, and I will not license the vessels as per your request. 

Thank you for your comprehensive comment, it really means a lot to me. :pir-blush:

On 6/8/2018 at 3:00 AM, Professor Thaum said:

That's a big one for sure. And full of "life" but I second @Bregir for his comments, especially for the slopes and the tiles. You proved that you can have pretty decent skills for the finishing touches (your water, thoses jury-rigged rails :thumbup: and the manual crane), but sometimes it looks like you skimp this or that part of a built.

Anyway... that's a good one, but still WIP, it just need some improvement. (funky all this TNT boxes spread into the built)

Thank you Thaum, and i remember when you gave me some texamples of how Lego ships should look. I hope these match your standards. 

I wish I could have done a little more with the detailing, but I simply did not have the parts :pir-sceptic:

As for the TNT, this is a WTC facility! :pir-laugh:

On 6/8/2018 at 5:10 AM, Drunknok said:

Well, this is... massive! :pir-grin:

I like this build a lot, and second most of Ayrlegos comments. You could add 1x1 and 1x2 plates of different greys to the dark grey areas to break up the "flatness" (similar to this). Contrary to Bregir, I appreciate the use of different minifig skins - it adds a lot in visual variety, keep it that way!

Either way: great effort so far, well done! :thumbup:

Thank you Drunknok. Now that I think about that, that would have made it a lot better. I'll make sure to do that in my next project. 

12 hours ago, Bodi said:

Impressive build Mesabi, I'm glad to see the WTC investing more efforts on shipbuilding. 

Thank you Bodi! This goes as part of my effort to make the WTC a captain of every industry. Vertical and Horizontal integration for the win! :pir-laugh: