This broke a few hours ago, a LEGO and IKEA partnership for next year!

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/ikea-lego-collaboration-release-info/

This would be really great. I can already see shelves with built in Lego plates, inside and outside closets etc. Or even large scaled Bricks for building a sofa (which I’ve already done with the Lego storage bricks...).

This will make some really great kids rooms, and my own :blush:

Will you still need an allen hex key or can you assemble using LEGO Technic pins?  :laugh:

Interesting find. Thanks @Thor Lund for the post.

It seems though that the tie-up relates to kids' furniture, so not entirely clear that it will be of use to AFOLs.

I already use IKEA shelf units for most of my display collection.  

Introduce the holy double deck couch.... okay, never.

I see this not really having any plastic brick involved with the furniture, but the furniture designs pretend to resemble with brick-built things.

I'm intrigued... I'm thinking the furniture will be covered with Lego studs over every visible surface, so you can personalise it with your own bricks/minifigures.  Either that or they ship you a flatpack of giant Lego bricks...

I'm guessing just tables and things you can use to build on with LEGO.  Like kids play furniture.

I wouldn't hold my breath, that there is anything interesting for AFOLs coming out of this, either. But the kids might be happy.:wink:

Looks like I'm the only poster so far that doesn't like Ikea. Be careful Ikea, you're being warned.

Because if Ikea is involved the potential for crappiness is very high.

Probably going to be designed for the kiddies but AFOL inclusion would obviously be fantastic unlikely but who knows. I'm actually surprised this partnership didn't happen sooner seems like a great fit.

Funny thing about Lego/Ikea, I have (for some reason) this Ikea bit from a cupboard on my desk for over 10 years, right next to a bunch of Lego parts always there for quickly testing stuff. Only yesterday it occured to me to put one into a brick. PERFECT FIT! And really surprisingly perfect, not too hard, not too strong, not floaty, these are supposed to be 5mm vs 4.8mm for Lego studs. I don't know if 0.2mm really make a difference, but it's like it was designed for compatibility.

(not saying they're like technic pins, they're exactly like studs, or like minifig head pins)

Edit: it was worth it

41812433265_0969ff2dbb_z_d.jpg

Edited by anothergol

Origin: Scandinavia

Name: Four letters, properly rendered in all-caps

Products: Endless cool stuff, but you have to (get to!) put it together yourself

Why didn't this partnership happen years ago?

1 hour ago, Karalora said:

Origin: Scandinavia

Name: Four letters, properly rendered in all-caps

Products: Endless cool stuff, but you have to (get to!) put it together yourself

Try to disassemble Ikea furniture, though..

2 hours ago, anothergol said:

Try to disassemble Ikea furniture, though..

Tell me about it..ended up buying a new closet after because all the wooden stumps broke off trying to dissemble it after 5 years of  (I must say reliable) service

Ontopic I don't know what to feel about this..I'm not too fond of the Diner but I'd prefer that over an IKEA store modular so I hope they'll stay away from that area.

Lego incorporated furniture would be funny but niche market and I doubt it would be man sized lego bricks to 'build' furniture(although that would be fun just literally buying 'pieces' of furniture) so I'll just have to see..

Maybe it's closets with sorting bins!

Now that I would buy..you can never have too many sorting bins:grin:

Edited by Ravelino

Maybe you're overthinking it, though. IKEA doesn't just do furniture, Lego already does boxes & stuff, I can well imagine Lego boxes with proper Lego stamp, in IKEA stores now.
And perhaps cushions & furniture for kids, but I hardly imagine IKEA doing Lego-themed stuff for adults.

On 10/06/2018 at 1:23 PM, anothergol said:

Funny thing about Lego/Ikea, I have (for some reason) this Ikea bit from a cupboard on my desk for over 10 years, right next to a bunch of Lego parts always there for quickly testing stuff. Only yesterday it occured to me to put one into a brick. PERFECT FIT! And really surprisingly perfect, not too hard, not too strong, not floaty, these are supposed to be 5mm vs 4.8mm for Lego studs. I don't know if 0.2mm really make a difference, but it's like it was designed for compatibility.

It's just a matter of time before a YouTuber adapts the Pen Pineapple Apple Pen song but for LEGO and IKEA  :sweet: 

IKEA needs to make more furniture that is more compatible with displaying LEGO. It seems like IKEA would often discontinue options that customers have been using make their furniture into display solutions. For example, they discontinued the glass doors for the Kallax/Expedit shelves. I think they have discontinue clear glass doors for other cabinet series or now only have the option for non-clear doors.

I would like to see smaller or zero frames in their cabinet/bookshelf doors to maximize visibility. The Detolf is commonly used for display, but it can only fit one modular per shelf. I've seen hacks to connect multiple Detolfs together to form a wider cabinet, so I think IKEA should create a modular display system to officially support this. Their Billy bookcases are also commonly used because they are inexpensive and have a windowed door choice with thin frames, but the internal width is frustratingly one stud too narrow to fit three base plates.

I like IKEA furniture. (Ah,Billy Bookcase, :wub:) And they produce some very nice glass cabinets. It would be cool if they make things perfect for LEGO storage/display. Also the potential for soft furnishings is always welcome. 

IKEA is alreadu producing lots of things that can be used for LEGO hobby. Recently noticed cool IKEA BEGÅVNING that could fit smaller MOCs in fashionable way dust free case. There are two sizes, but the smaller one might not be suitable.

begavning-stiklinis-gaubtas-su-pagrindu_

IKEA SYNAS is also dust free case of a slightly larger size and boxy shape. It has LED lights also.

SYNAS LED Å¡viestuvas-dÄÅ¾Ä IKEA Dangtis nuimamas, todÄl vaikai gali demonstruoti savo meno kÅ«rinius ir kolekcijas bei keisti juos tik panorÄjÄ.

This partnership should turn out to be very popular amongst many of us. Now I am just curious about when we will see these products and their variety.