JopieK

Powered Up - A tear down...

Hi.

I'm not sure what I'm writing in the right topic, but I’ll ask.

I wanted to order powered up (hub with 4 port, L and XL motor) on the bricklink.
All L and XL motors that are on sale marked "Not Applicable". Also, one of the available three sellers selling HUB has such a mark.
I asked what this means and one answered me: "It means that the motor is only applicable with the powered up battery box and
controller. Not with the older motor and controller system from lego."

Is it possible to connect only the hub with the application for a smartphone and control the engines, or is it necessary to have a lego gamepad to connect to the application?

Hi @exxo

"not applicable" is in the most left column, which means: "no color defined in BL", thats all.

There is only application from LEGO, Control+, and yes, that requires only a smart Device (Phone or Tablet)
But: the App is designed for the 42099 set, so it only works, if two XL and on L motor are connected to the correct ports.

And the motors work with all PoweredUp Hubs.
But not with all Apps......

Edited by Lok24

34 minutes ago, exxo said:

All L and XL motors that are on sale marked "Not Applicable"

Most likely that means the colour. The sellers didn't specify what the motors' colours are.

34 minutes ago, exxo said:

Is it possible to connect only the hub with the application for a smartphone and control the engines, or is it necessary to have a lego gamepad to connect to the application?

So far, the Control+ hub (I'm assuming that's the one you're referring to, since you wrote it has four ports) can only be controlled by the Control+ app, which, like @Lok24 wrote, only works with the motor configuration of the 42099. However, if you have a phone-compatible gamepad (that connects via USB or Bluetooth), you can use BrickController 2 with any hubs and motors connected in any way you want:

Exploring the LEGO App APK file, i've found several firmware file:

IMG_20190819_071044.jpg.35e9f43b04506fb4 

Edited by GianCann

2 hours ago, GianCann said:

Exploring the LEGO App APK file, i've found several firmware file:

IMG_20190819_071044.jpg.35e9f43b04506fb4 

Hi, I have already posted such firmware files, but do you have an idea how to install them by a command?

BTW.: Have you used a decompiler?

8 hours ago, AVCampos said:

@Lok24 However, if you have a phone-compatible gamepad (that connects via USB or Bluetooth), you can use BrickController 2 with any hubs and motors connected in any way you want: 

Ok, ill try.

Also, why wedo 2.0 hub can't connected to powered up app? Program just does not see the hub. Testing on IOS 12.3.1 and android 5.0. Iphone does not even see the bluetooth settings as a new device. Androiв in the bluetooth settings sees, connects, but after about ten seconds the hub itself disconnects.

6 hours ago, PF Remote said:

, I have already posted such firmware files

I'm sorry for the duplicate :(

do you have an idea how to install them by a command?

No. But i hope in a someone that find the way to do it.
Or better, i hope also in a full documentation from TLG.

BTW.: Have you used a decompiler?

Nope...

I have opened the Boost Sensor.
This use the STM8S1054K chip with the LQFP32 pinout (8 pin for side)

Note: the numbers I write on the cable conform to the image of this post, but on the PCB are inverted.

IMG_20190823_080958.thumb.jpg.e0f5118794

IMG_20190823_075907.thumb.jpg.deb9884312

I try to "play" with the smart hub.

I cut a LED cable and i connect the pin 5 & 6 (and gnd) to USB to Serial TTL adapter.

After, i connect to smart hub via Bluetooth and send a command to subscribe notification.

When plug the cable to smartphone i obtain this message:

0f 00 04 00 01 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

It's a Port Information Message (04), for port A (00), Information mode (01) and capability (06).

06 = 00000110 = Logical Combinable, Input (seen from Hub).

I try to send bytes from serial monitor but, obviously, not knowing the "wired" protocol, I was not able to receive any notification on the bluetooth side.

I try also to send one byte (and relative checksum) with command 0x81, 0x50 (WriteDirect) but without success.

:(

Edited by GianCann

14 hours ago, GianCann said:

It's a Port Information Message (04), for port A (00), Information mode (01) and capability (06)

I'm sorry... i wrote a wrong thing.

This is a "Device attach" message.

01 is "Attach event"

06 is "Device type" (determinate by resistor value).

However, if you send a Port Information Request to the Hub, the same message is returned as reply.

In this case, 01 is "Information mode and 06 is capability ;)

Hi @GianCann,

the frimware stuff is very interesting;) But do you know, how to get the version of the firmware that is installed on the HUB through a command?  I know you need to read it but first you have to write a command, so it will be showed in the code that you read?

Hi @PF Remote

yes, you have to sent a notification request first

char-write-req 000f 0100

And then ask for the FW-Version

char-write-req 000e 0500010305

Hi, thank you very much, I am completly inside programming of my app right now, so I have forgotten to check the forum. But stillI I am testing out how to connect to more than one device, in MIT app inventor it s much easier to do it, than in Android Studio with Java, but the disadvantage of MIT app inventor, that there aren t so many possibilities for changing the design of the app and there are also several other disadvanteges.

Which is the best way to check if a motor is stalled?

I noted that if block a tacho motor i get a   message "port feedback" (0x82) with value 0x2C, and the the current on  the relative port is shutdown.

The payload of port feedback is a "bit field" and 0x2C in binary is 101100

From LWP documentation:

Bit 1: 0x01 Buffer Empty + Command In Progress
Bit 2: 0x02 Buffer Empty + Command Completed
Bit 3: 0x04 Current Command(s) Discarded
Bit 4: 0x08 Idle
Bit 5: 0x10 Busy/Full

But bit 6???
Bit 6: 0x20 ???

Someone have more information? 

Not yet, but is planned for the future by LEGO.

For today there must be something in between like a smartdevice or PC or microcontroller to "translate" the commands from the handheld to the hub

(I'm talking about the technic hub, Control+ is the app and more a sign for PoweredUp in the technic theme)

Edited by Lok24

Hm... very strange. At the moment I see no option to run a Technic-Motor on the Technic-Hub!! I purchased the Hub and two motors (XL,L) on Bricklink. The Control+App is useless, there is no "Standalone"-Mode to run or configure the motors for an own model or MOC. The App is only useful If you have the Liebherr and all Motors are connected to the provided slots...

Yes, all correct.

With pure LEGO you can use that only as you described.
This might be one of the reasons why these parts aren't avaible in the stores and shops yet.

But what is strange with that?

You can use programs from other sources to use that all.

I.E the Brick automation project, Brick Controller 2 or the proramming libraries for different languages.

Edited by Lok24

19 hours ago, Lok24 said:

Yes, all correct.

With pure LEGO you can use that only as you described.
This might be one of the reasons why these parts aren't avaible in the stores and shops yet.

But what is strange with that?

You can use programs from other sources to use that all.

I.E the Brick automation project, Brick Controller 2 or the proramming libraries for different languages.

That is no argument. They sell these components with a Set and why I should not build my own creations based on these Set? 

Thanks for the hint with Brick automation. I have never heard of that. I think the reason is I never click on Facebook links during a Google search (I have no Facebook Account) . And it seems the project is presented on Facebook only. Works that with Wine (I use Mac OS and Linux only)?

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Lebostein said:

That is no argument. They sell these components with a Set and why I should not build my own creations based on these Set?

Sure you can do that. But you did not buy a set. And if you don't want to use it with the Control+ App or non-Lego-software you shouldn't buy it.

The Brick automation Projekt has nothing to do with facebook? You find it here:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/169318-control-all-your-powered-up-power-function-sbrick-devices-with-a-single-software/

It is designed for Win 10 only.

Perhaps it would be easier to help if you describe what you want to do ......

I've just noticed, on the inside of my C+ hub, what appears to be a rubber button. Could this be used to detect a rechargeable battery, just like on the EV3?

20191101_131055.jpg.b1aa5a12971ee220d29a0356ee7e76d3.jpg

4 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Could this be used to detect a rechargeable battery, just like on the EV3?

Yes!