Sign in to follow this  
knotian

Steel Mill Wheeled Vehicles

Cheers

Has anyone tried either of these models in a scale to fit with 42035 Mining Truck. I've finally dropped the attempt to use RR equipment in my blast furnace / steel mill. Rails take too much space, unless I custom bend metal rails. The Volvo Mining Loader is too big (I thought of using it as a base for the slag truck). I'm thinking of increasing the massiveness of the 42062 Alternate build as a basis for the straddle carrier.

Thanx

straddle small1.jpg

straddle small2.jpg

I have never seen such vehicles. What are they? What are they for? How do they work? Do you have bigger images (The images you linked to are too small to see how these things work). Do you have manufacturer's names or type numbers of those vehicles?

24 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

I have never seen such vehicles. What are they? What are they for? How do they work? Do you have bigger images (The images you linked to are too small to see how these things work). Do you have manufacturer's names or type numbers of those vehicles?

The first one really looks like a Straddle Carrier that moves very heavy steel plates. Front + Rear axles steering, very rigid frame and a colossal bearing capacity. That's it, @CopMike is right.

The second mostly reminds Liquid (Molden) steel carrier (look at the giant "cup"). For more information, you can also refer to Kress machinery: http://www.kresscarrier.com/CarriersLadle.html.

I think that these vehicles haven't been created in Lego Technic. I've searched the internet for cool machinery in Lego and I haven't come across these. And I think that it would be more appreciative to build this model in a mid size scale by using 62.4x20mm tires (the ones that go on 42043 Mercedes). If you do it, you will be the first one. So I say go for it.

Void_s  is right on. The second one carries molten slag, from a blast furnace, out to the dumping area. The slag is, in an Eco-friendly mill, cooled and then broken up for fill, aggregate, or sand.

A newer slag utilization machine taps the slag into one of several machines to either make spun rock wool insulation or granulate it immediately for sand.

There are several manufacturers, Kamag comes to mind. I believe Cat had one also.

From a model stand point I like the Kamag ones as they share (pretty much:laugh: ) the same design.

pagicence

Want to do an unusual machine? Look up  Hulett Ore unloaders . I was toying at one time with a diorama  with a loading dock with overhead coal hoppers and rails, a great lakes steamer outline in the middle and some of those unloaders on the other side.

2 hours ago, knotian said:

Want to do an unusual machine? Look up  Hulett Ore unloaders.

Now that is cool and massive, and a little above my abilities. To build something like that and make it function properly, it would be have to be as/or big as BWE. If someone else doesn't build it, maybe I'll try it in a year. Thanks for the tip.

pageicence

I did more research a while back and found that massive yes, but complex no. It is basically a trapezoidal figure with hinges and one longer side. It's hard to tell and only showed up in one video, but the operator has a cab, inside the arm, just a bit above the shovel. To change operators they stop the arm at deck height and the operators climb in and out of a large window.

Ed

I can't find any steel mill vehicles.  I found a city-style straddle carrier with technic wheels, but it's for intermodal containers :classic:

Found this Kress carrier MOC.  It's a mine hauler, but Kress also produce steel industry vehicles.  The hauler users the Kress independent wheel units which might be worth a look. http://superk-technic.com/2017/03/04/kress-coal-hauler/

Be interested to see how you get on.  I drew some mill haulers for a game once in pixel art (similar to the dozer in my avatar icon).

Edited by andythenorth

5 hours ago, andythenorth said:

Found this Kress carrier MOC.

That is an excellent MOC. I saw it a while back, but I've totally forgot about it.

@knotian I found this video of Hulett Iron Ore Unloader functions. Even it is a model you can really see all the operating procedures. If those are the same as on the real thing, and I assume they are (because I couldn't really see on any video of the real unloader), that's why I thing it would be complex.

But hey it is a challenge, and I will gladly accept it. It is decided. Of course in a year, I still have 10 or so projects in mind that are pending, that will sharpen my skills a little bit more.

According to Jangbricks' review of 42071, the Articulated Truck B-model is supposed to be modelled after one used in a steel mill or factory:

I'm not sure how correct he is, though. It looks unusual enough to be.

23 hours ago, pagicence said:

because I couldn't really see on any video of the real unloader