ultiminutes

21311 - LEGO Voltron

Couldn’t find a topic for this yet funnily enough. This site seems to say that the release of the Voltron set is two months away on the 1st of August based on an announcement in Korea.

Voltron releases August ‘18

Anyone else excited for the set? Hoping that the official set stays true to the original design

I know I am! I hope LEGO Voltron can transform and combine without being taken apart and rebuilt.

5 hours ago, ultiminutes said:

Couldn’t find a topic for this

The Voltron thread is in the Special Themes Forum (I don't know why) and is merged with the LEGO Ideas Ship in the Bottle :classic:

33 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

The Voltron thread is in the Special Themes Forum (I don't know why) and is merged with the LEGO Ideas Ship in the Bottle :classic:

Ah, I guess I didn’t look hard enough and filtered my search in the licensed part of the forum instead. Thank you.

yay? i hope its good... ive seen some pretty bad voltrons.

it looks expensive, though.. i mean, 180 us dollars? wow. 

1 hour ago, meepinater said:

yay? i hope its good... ive seen some pretty bad voltrons.

it looks expensive, though.. i mean, 180 us dollars? wow. 

180 Euros, but that usually translate to the same in American dollars in the Lego world I guess.
Hope that the high price is due to the high amount of pieces used and not caused by a high licensing agreement

This set look amazing and I am hoping its not going to be too pricey but the early rumors makes it appear that it will be over $200 USD which means I better start saving right now

On 6/6/2018 at 9:03 PM, ultiminutes said:

180 Euros, but that usually translate to the same in American dollars in the Lego world I guess.
Hope that the high price is due to the high amount of pieces used and not caused by a high licensing agreement

yeah. hope it comes with some nice pieces, too! looks like it could be good for creating a mech of some sort. 

8 hours ago, the_Yoyo said:

This set look amazing and I am hoping its not going to be too pricey but the early rumors makes it appear that it will be over $200 USD which means I better start saving right now

heck yeah! i'm not savin' fer this, though. I'm trying to find a decent lego convention in my area. 

180 isnt too bad of a price point for this set.  I am definitely getting this, I know I saved up my VIP credit for a reason.

On one hand I loved Voltron as a kid and this thing looks like it has some fun building methods. On the other it's huge and I don't think I have much space to display it. I'm not too bothered by the price given it's 1. licensed / Ideas set, 2. took a fair amount of engineering to do it right, and 3. quite complex connections and articulation. I'll wait to see some reviews before I make a decision on this one.

I wonder if I missed something growing up as a kid in the 1980s. Pretty much every other toy/cartoon/cultural reference I get, but even now, I've never even heard of Voltron. Was it a US thing? Either way, the set does absolutely nothing for me.

Jeez I just saw the price! Ouch. You have to be a super massive fan I guess. Makes the OFS its predecessor (most expensive Ideas set) seem like a bargain.

@CDM just noticed our avatars - the age old argument eh :laugh:

Edited by Lucarex

7 hours ago, Lucarex said:

I wonder if I missed something growing up as a kid in the 1980s.

You sure did! This was a great cartoon. It was the original mech for most kids back then!

7 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Either way, the set does absolutely nothing for me.

So why bother posting in this thread? 

7 hours ago, sed6 said:

You sure did! This was a great cartoon. It was the original mech for most kids back then!

So why bother posting in this thread? 

Because I was very curious about the source material and how I'd never heard of it. Which sort of explains my lack of enthusiasm (please excuse that) on the set itself. I didn't mean any offence, obviously this is causing a lot of excitement in others.  

Also because I love Ideas sets in general and it's interesting to see the scale and price raises in approved sets. TRON had a lot of complaints about the price (even for a Disney licence), and this is the next release in Ideas.

3 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Because I was very curious about the source material and how I'd never heard of it. Which sort of explains my lack of enthusiasm (please excuse that) on the set itself. I didn't mean any offence, obviously this is causing a lot of excitement in others.  

Also because I love Ideas sets in general and it's interesting to see the scale and price raises in approved sets. TRON had a lot of complaints about the price (even for a Disney licence), and this is the next release in Ideas.

Honestly it had a pretty short shelf life, initially. I believe it's original run was only 2 years or so. I was into the cartoon but never had any of the Voltron toys. I suspect had I had some connection with the toys themselves I'd be a lot more into this than I am. As I said before, the build techniques will ultimately what sells me on it. Time will tell.

And, yes, nice avi. One of these days I'll buy a Freeny minifig.

There is a very good NEW Voltron show on Netflix if you are interested.

This set looks incredible. It is shame the lions look so good and I bet most people want to display it in the combined mode!

I dunno...probably...go ask whoever started the other one.

On 6/29/2018 at 12:52 PM, RedHoodPug said:

Wouldn’t it make more sense to keep this discussion to the one thread? 

With larger D2C sets (most of the time) that are announced with a complementary TLG press release, moderators here typically start a new topic for them anyway. 

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

With larger D2C sets (most of the time) that are announced with a complementary TLG press release, moderators here typically start a new topic for them anyway. 

Fair enough, it just seemed like the same conversation was going on in two threads. 

It'd be good if the mods can merge the two topics together since there's a separate thread for the official media release.

6 hours ago, ultiminutes said:

It'd be good if the mods can merge the two topics together since there's a separate thread for the official media release.

Indeed, but I'm afraid it might not work due to this topic being older than @CopMike's. :sceptic: