JopieK

Review 60198 Cargo Train (picture heavy!)

Really good review. 

I like the combination of 6x10 containers (also in 7994, 7992 (both of which I have) and 60169 (I'm getting)), and of logs with 60059 and 60181

Nice review, thanks @JopieK. Every time I see a new review for the 2018 trains, I am hoping someone splurged and bought 2 sets so we could get some idea of the PU interaction  between multiple recievers and controllers. ☹

Anybody done that yet?

Edited by Bublehead
Typo

Well they haven't been released yet, so there are only a few people that already have access to them. Bluetooth 5 allows for Meshing, but I haven't seen very solid implementations of BLE 4.x with that yet. I don't think there will be great interactions between the controllers / receivers for now, probably that will change when LEGO releases the app(s).

@Vilhem22: Indeed 60169 is great for combining with this train, I just saw it yesterday :) 

Thanks for the thorough review. Nice to finally see this set in real.

@JopieK Any word about the battery life? Which batteries have you used (Rechargables or not) and have you made a test how long they last running the whole train?

I have used Duracell AAA batteries (Alkalines so 1.5V), but I haven't put it to a duration test yet. I assume it will be more or less the same as IR but we will need to test it indeed.

On 6/8/2018 at 9:25 AM, LegoMonorailFan said:

Definitely! :sweet:

You know it's funny, if this new system ends up stinking, we could call it "pee-yew". :grin:

That was also my first thought, as soon as I'd seen it abbreviated as PU!  :laugh:

@JopieK  Thanks for the great review!  Very thorough and well documented.  :thumbup:

I'm definitely going to purchase this set, perhaps even two before it disappears in 4 years, but will probably wait until I can find it discounted.   The MSRP jumping $30 from 60052 / 60098 of $199 is ridiculous!  That's 15% increase for essentially the same functionality and playability of either of the two previous freight train sets.   I know there's development costs for PU, but I don't see any other reason for that level of increase, especially when you consider that the 60197 passenger train is just $10 more expensive than the predecessor 60051.

I wonder how to add the new LED system to this, on the LEGO site, they say it's for this build and the new passenger train, but just had a look to this train and everything is complete closed, no way to fit the new LED system

Thanks for this review, and I can say that seeing as how much more compact the new Powered Up system is over PF, I'm definitely going to be getting this set either during the After Christmas sale period or early next year at the LEGO store during one of their AFOL days.  Like I said, I've been meaning to take a stab at motorizing a train for almost 7 years now, but various budget constraints & RL issues have forced me to put it on the back burner...

Also, considering that Powered-Up uses Bluetooth, do you think it would be possible to automate a train layout using some sort of controller based on a Raspberry Pi?  Because I've recently gotten into messing around with Raspberry Pi 3b+ & have been really impressed with the capabilities of those little computers.

6 hours ago, Dragunov2 said:

I wonder how to add the new LED system to this, on the LEGO site, they say it's for this build and the new passenger train, but just had a look to this train and everything is complete closed, no way to fit the new LED system

This is how I did it

http://i.imgur.com/u0OmJ2N.jpg

4 hours ago, Laura Takayama said:

Thanks for this review, and I can say that seeing as how much more compact the new Powered Up system is over PF, I'm definitely going to be getting this set either during the After Christmas sale period or early next year at the LEGO store during one of their AFOL days.  Like I said, I've been meaning to take a stab at motorizing a train for almost 7 years now, but various budget constraints & RL issues have forced me to put it on the back burner...

Also, considering that Powered-Up uses Bluetooth, do you think it would be possible to automate a train layout using some sort of controller based on a Raspberry Pi?  Because I've recently gotten into messing around with Raspberry Pi 3b+ & have been really impressed with the capabilities of those little computers.

Raspberry Pi 3 model B has Bluebooth LE.  You don't need a BT LE USB dongle like with some laptops or PCs.  You can make use of the Node.js library by our Mr Hobbles.

It is possible to automate the Power Function trains over infrared if you have some Power Function trains too. 

8 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

This is how I did it

http://i.imgur.com/u0OmJ2N.jpg

Thanks!

I've seen this one, not bad, but I guess u tried to make it even more clean, no?

I wonder why those at Lego didn't add the possibility to add lights to it, it's a new set, and if u look on the info page of those LEDs, u clearly see the passengers train and the cargo one