Sign in to follow this  
Flavius Gratian

[COR - small residence x2] The rescue expedition heads out/Outskirts of Jameston

Even though Jameston has grown rapidly in size, it's still a young city. Outside the city centre and away from "Montoya Street" the outskirts of Jameston sprawl. Here the streets are not cobbled but only lined with fences, if you are lucky, and the buildings are small, simple wooden houses for the new and poor residents who have not the time nor money to build the impressive stone and brick houses, characteristic of the large town. However, the booming city expands and even here the shacks are pushed away by new appartment buildings, and the jungle, still close by the town perimiter, will soon be crushed by brick and stone. But not yet; now Lieutenant Lavendwood's rescue expedition has assembled at the edge of town, ready to head out into the jungle to find the missing diplomat Samuel Barlow and the able seamen who joined him on his mission.

27718702947_2e88237ff7_c.jpg

As the men finish the final preparations, Lawliet discussed their route with Sergeant Ferris.

"The reports of native activity together with the witnesses we've found, who saw Mr Barlow leave town, both point to this area being the likeley place of a native settlement", Lawliet said, pointing at the map.

"Indeed, and this is the road Mr Barlow followed when leaving so I think we're on track, sir", Sergeant Ferris agreed.

40779026900_79f9a92e02.jpg

Before either of them could continue, they were interrupted by shouting from behind.

"Sir, sir!" Midshipman Tom Swift shouted as he came running up to them, together with a tanned-skinned man with non-halosian facial features. He was clearly a native from one of the colonies, probably a Myzec from Cascadia, Lawliet thought.

42586715861_e26f779908.jpg

"Sir, I found one! I found an interpreter!", Tom said enthusiastically, while giving a quick salute.

27718699447_a8fb32b57d.jpg

"Pushing it to the last minute, Tom, that's not how we do it in HM Navy", Lawliet said with an overly stern tone. When Tom looked concerned he added, with a smile: "It's alright, Tom! Now, who is this?"

"This Ohtli, from Myzectlan", Tom introduced the stranger who gave a slight bow.

27718701067_bfc2552e3d.jpg

"I thought it was exceedingly rare for Myzec to leave Myzectlan; what are you doing here?" Lawliet asked. He had read the reports of Dr. Albert Brickingstone with great interest, back when they were published by the Royal Society.

Ohtli smiled in way that reminded Lawliet of how teachers looked when students asked certain questions. "You would be right to think so, Lieutenant", he said with surprising fluency, though he did have a noticable accent. "The Myzec prefer to keep to ourselves and preserve the old ways. However, ever since Dr. Brickingstone's arrival to our city, I have been fascinated by the outside world. All the knowledge he brought and the novel clothes and tools of his visitors."

"Well, since you now had the whole world to explore, why did you end up just next door here on Celestia?" Lawliet inquired.

Again, Ohtli smiled: "Our stories tell us that Myzectlan were once but part of a great realm, with cities sprawling across, what you call, Cascadia. Our people even travelled over the great water to other lands. Though we have long since lost contact with them, our stories maintain that across the sea our cousins still live. So when news reached us that many travellers were exploring Celestia, I thought it would be a great opportunity to go there myself and try to find the remains of our people."

40779026480_294916cac9.jpg

"I see", Lawliet said. "So, you say you can translate for us; how do you know that, if the last contact with the island's natives was long back in distant history?"

"Very astute, Lieutenant! I joined one of the expeditions a few months ago, and during our travels we encountered some natives. Although we didn't directly contact them I could hear part of their speech and it was indeed familiar, so I'm quite sure I can be of help to you."

Lawliet realised he didn't like that smile. As he gave the paper he had been studing to Tom he said: "Excellent! We are leaving right now, so find a place in the column when we march off, preferably close to myself or Mr Swift!"

40779027130_5eca30da12.jpg

Lawliet turned around to the assembled troops and gave marching orders. "Sergeant Ferris, I want your marines in the van and rear! Sailors form two lines and prepare to march!"

27718703917_0a5188db61_c.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm going to licence this as residence; since I don't think it quite qulifies as a medium, I'll just make two small properties.

The wooden house:

41686195805_213cb57dac_c.jpg

The stone house:

27718700117_7f1d5a1fb0_c.jpg

Overview pictures with and without minifigs

Spoiler

41686196705_35baed5dd8_b.jpg

41686197115_4a34a18d6b_b.jpg

Edited by Flavius Gratian

Great story Flavius. The scene itself is bustling with little details and I love the sight of all those sailors preparing for the expedition into the jungle. It re-enforces the fact I definitely need to get more of that torso (I only have two!:pir-hmpf:). The contrast between the houses is great and the story really adds to the lore of Jameston. Great work!

Awesome build Flavius! It is nice and busy and very well constructed. The story is great as well! Looking forward to what they find!

On 2018-06-07 at 12:43 AM, Ayrlego said:

Great story Flavius. The scene itself is bustling with little details and I love the sight of all those sailors preparing for the expedition into the jungle. It re-enforces the fact I definitely need to get more of that torso (I only have two!:pir-hmpf:). The contrast between the houses is great and the story really adds to the lore of Jameston. Great work!

Thank you! I always love creating scene with lots of people running around, that's one of the main advantages of real bricks as opposed to LDD in my opinion. I bought a bunch on Bricklink so I expect that you'll be able to do it too! I wanted to portray the contrast between new fledgling settlements and the march of civilisation, glad you think it worked!

On 2018-06-08 at 2:08 AM, LM71Blackbird said:

Awesome build Flavius! It is nice and busy and very well constructed. The story is great as well! Looking forward to what they find!

Thank you very much! I will hopefully post the next part soon, so stay tuned!

Very nice scene, Flavius. I like the contrast between the houses and it all has a nice finish - the highlight to me is the activity of the minifigs, though! Well done! To the build, my only comment is that your trees could use a little more work, particularly the one made by the 2x2 round pieces look a bit off.

The story is also very well written - I really like how you manage to add to both Celestian and Cascadian/Myzec lore in such a relatively simple story.

I shall be looking forward to following Lavendwood's adventures on the island!

On 6/12/2018 at 12:42 PM, Bregir said:

Very nice scene, Flavius. I like the contrast between the houses and it all has a nice finish - the highlight to me is the activity of the minifigs, though! Well done! To the build, my only comment is that your trees could use a little more work, particularly the one made by the 2x2 round pieces look a bit off.

The story is also very well written - I really like how you manage to add to both Celestian and Cascadian/Myzec lore in such a relatively simple story.

I shall be looking forward to following Lavendwood's adventures on the island!

Thank you! You're definetly right that trees are a weak point of mine, I lack both experience and parts, so I usually try to hide them in the background.

Storywise, I tried to continue from the previous accounts written about the Myzec. Glad you liked it!