Robert8

LEGO Sci-Fi 2019 Pictures and Rumors

The LEGO Movie 2 is confirmed to have a space theme going on, and now we have pictures of it

lg2-t1-01053.jpg?w=892&h=598&crop=1

Edited by Robert8

That helmet has a particular Japanese Sci-Fi/Anime/Manga look to it, but its crest in particular is so freaking retro! Here's to hoping it makes its way into other themes... :purrr:

I agree that it looks great, and the lightly-retro elements are really fun.  I have to wonder if they added the wings so the character could fly... because I'm not sure how they'd animate minidolls walking with their legs fused the way they are!  :wink:

8 minutes ago, Eggyslav said:

So, in Lego Universe, Friends are aliens, interesting...

I think they are "aliens" because they come from another room (Fynn sister's)

4 hours ago, Eggyslav said:

So, in Lego Universe, Friends are aliens, interesting...

They're pretty alien among my LEGO as well, so this feels right.

I really liked the trailer.

If we get some Mad Max style sets, another Benny set, and some "Sistar" space sets, I'll be a happy camper!

It seems 2019 will be quite a year for Sci Fi after all

The minidoll spaceship looks AMAZING. I'm guessing that will be the first set to be revealed later this year during the SDCC

Also, Mad Max post-apocalyptic sets and -likely- another classic space set for Benny, since the first one was a hit

That's 3 different styles of SciFi sets

(And Star Wars episode IX stuff at the end of the year)

6 hours ago, danth said:

I really liked the trailer.

Just bringing it here for readers who may not have seen it (which is quite unlikely). :wink:

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The minidoll spaceship looks AMAZING. I'm guessing that will be the first set to be revealed later this year during the SDCC

Just like her helmet, it has a light retro touch to it, especially with that upper crest that seems to mirror the one on her helmet. But, ultimately, it's more of a pod-like spacecraft as opposed to a retro rocketcraft.

22 hours ago, deraven said:

I agree that it looks great, and the lightly-retro elements are really fun.  I have to wonder if they added the wings so the character could fly... because I'm not sure how they'd animate minidolls walking with their legs fused the way they are!  :wink:

They'd hop from point A to B.

The minidoll ship looks great, I am expecting that to be a set, and a nice one.  Also, the gear on that minidoll should be useful.  I love the helmet design.

I'd like to know what shade of blue is seen utilized on Sweet Mayhem's spacecraft, as I can't tell whether it's Dark Azure, Medium Azure, or Dark Turquoise. :shrug_confused:

On 6/5/2018 at 10:20 PM, dr_spock said:

They'd hop from point A to B.

On 6/6/2018 at 10:17 AM, The LEGO Communist said:

And you were completely right! Best bit about the trailer if you asked me.

Yeah, I mean... I had obviously thought that but it seemed like it would look really odd and highlight one of the worst elements of the minimill design... but I guess they went there after all!  :laugh:

20 minutes ago, deraven said:

Yeah, I mean... I had obviously thought that but it seemed like it would look really odd and highlight one of the worst elements of the minimill design... but I guess they went there after all!  :laugh:

Other girl toys like Polly Pocket, Pet Shop, etc. that came out long before LEGO minidolls also don't have moveable legs.  The girls just make them hop around when they play with them.  I guess it is alien to you guys who don't have daughters.  :classic:

49 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Other girl toys like Polly Pocket, Pet Shop, etc. that came out long before LEGO minidolls also don't have moveable legs.  The girls just make them hop around when they play with them.  I guess it is alien to you guys who don't have daughters.  :classic:

Frankly, even a lot of kids playing with traditional minifigures usually just sort of hop or float them around. Nobody EXCEPT a person making a brickfilm is actually going to actually animate the legs into a full walk cycle for every stride a minifigure takes. Furthermore, the fast-paced nature of the LEGO movies creates a lot of opportunities for this sort of simplified movement — there are many, many scenes in these movies where characters leap wildly from place to place rather than walking or running "normally".

20 hours ago, dr_spock said:

19 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Frankly, even a lot of kids playing with traditional minifigures usually just sort of hop or float them around. Nobody EXCEPT a person making a brickfilm is actually going to actually animate the legs into a full walk cycle for every stride a minifigure takes. 

This is subjective so I'm not going to go off-topic and debate it, but I have a daughter and a son and both like to pose minifigs, and both are mildly annoyed that the minidolls have fixed legs and no connection points besides the bottom of the feet (so can't securely sit them somewhere without the newer panel bricks to hold them by the feet).  They obviously don't do a full walk-cycle as they're actively playing with them, but then neither do/did kids with GI Joe, yet I don't know anyone that doesn't prefer the articulation of those figures over the Star Wars type action figures, but both still sold amazingly well regardless.

Back to the movie... I just hope they make some self-refferential mention of it as she is hopping around while the rest of the figs walk next to her.  :laugh:

On 6/9/2018 at 8:46 PM, deraven said:

Back to the movie... I just hope they make some self-refferential mention of it as she is hopping around while the rest of the figs walk next to her.  :laugh:

Now I'm going to be disappointed if they don't do that. 

Benny's Space Squad is already on back order on the S@H site - estimated 30 days before shipping. 

I got an order in early yesterday and am expecting mine to arrive  tomorrow yippee!