snaillad

MOC: The Brixton Hotel

Hello EB members and all!

I put together a quick build (Quick for me - 1 month!) whilst I was waiting for a delivery for another project and got pretty into this 1930's Art-Deco themed hotel MOC. I very much enjoy doing interiors and this was a good excuse to have a go at some new SNOT techniques - for me. The new rounded tiles were a great alternative to an otherwise straight patterned floor.

It was also fun to go with some darker colours for a change, although I found them very difficult to photograph with all the reflections.

Shout out to @timmyc1983 - I stole the name for the hotel after your town layout, I suppose every town needs a hotel though! :laugh: Thanks again!

Anyway on with the pics, all 3 of them;

40758526300_93cdc00fc7_c.jpg

28693127168_813a0d6086_c.jpg

42566778821_642d68a23f_c.jpg

You can view them at Flickr here if you prefer: https://www.flickr.com/photos/52656812@N04/

Comments, questions about techniques etc all welcome!

Cheers!

This is stunningly gorgeous! There's just so much exquisite, Art Deco NPU detailing on both the floors and walls of this interior creation! I especially love the ever so slightly inset parlor area in this lobby! :thumbup: :wub:

Beautiful as always! It's hard to say what looks best - the color choice is fantastic, these natural dark tones work really well with the gold details. The lowered floor in the center of the lobby is a nice touch. My favourite for sure is the patterned floor with different geometrical patterns. Well done.

That's really nice!! Love the colour combinations and the patterns in the floor - definitely suits the era. Although I think my favourite part is the lifts with their cage door effect. Do you plan on doing any more rooms of the hotel? A bedroom/suite perhaps?

Excellent work 

Very effective color palette and chock full of great design. I really like the step down lounge area, the clean-lined front desk, and the SNOT floor, but it’s elevators that just look perfect.

Excellent job!

This looks amazing. :classic: 

A lot of people (myself included :laugh:) tend to just use the straightforward chequered tile technique when it comes to floors, but I love how you've created yours with loads of interesting and textured bricks to create those fantastic patterns. It looks incredible and very realistic.

Also as other have mentioned already, the way the floor steps down slightly in the centre is a really nice touch as well.

All the colours go together perfectly and help to give a great vintage art deco feel, full of atmosphere.

Great work!

Great interior!  The elevators remind me of the ones in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining.  Thankfully, yours do not have that inherent problem the ones in the movie have :laugh:

Kneel to the master! Your interiors always tend be be unique, but nevertheless have a cozy factor to them. For this, the first things which caught my attention were the 2x2 round plates on the top of the main wall and the round design on the flooring. Both of these look splendid. Then some finer details I saw later, like the bottom of the turntables as the lift's round window, the lift doors using fences or the "zebra" pattern right before it are beautiful and make this an overall appealing, well executed and very clean desing. I love it!

In a first glance I was pretty disappointed to see "only one part of the interior" rather than a whole beautiful building like you always do... But taking a closer look, I rapidly understood that this is far from being only an interior! :wub: I don't have a lot to add that wasn't said previously. I just love the floor, the elevator, the step down lounge, the color scheme, the patterns and everything else! 

On 6/4/2018 at 10:38 PM, snaillad said:

whilst I was waiting for a delivery for another project

Sounds intriguing... And who knows, perhaps it's Art Nouveau... :moar:

This is incredible, love the detailing and it looks so cosy! 

Top work once again snaillad - I doff my hat to you!

I always really like the theme of elegant travel so this joins the airport lounge, the Piazza Maria and Ocean Restaurant as among my favourites of your MOCs.

In addition to the great techniques, I really like the 'spacing' of the set and the positioning of the figures is great, as usual. I once worked in a hotel in Berlin with lifts like that!

I have been looking to create a luggage trolley for some time and your choice of pieces work really well. I was looking forward to the bell boy figure in the upcoming 'Capital City' set but the matching hats work much better in your creation.

On 6/5/2018 at 5:13 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

This is stunningly gorgeous! There's just so much exquisite, Art Deco NPU detailing on both the floors and walls of this interior creation! I especially love the ever so slightly inset parlor area in this lobby! :thumbup: :wub:

On 6/5/2018 at 7:49 AM, Redhead1982 said:

Beautiful as always! It's hard to say what looks best - the color choice is fantastic, these natural dark tones work really well with the gold details. The lowered floor in the center of the lobby is a nice touch. My favourite for sure is the patterned floor with different geometrical patterns. Well done.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:28 AM, greg3 said:

That's really nice!! Love the colour combinations and the patterns in the floor - definitely suits the era. Although I think my favourite part is the lifts with their cage door effect. Do you plan on doing any more rooms of the hotel? A bedroom/suite perhaps?

Excellent work 

On 6/5/2018 at 11:05 AM, Nightfall said:

Wow! What a beautiful hotel lobby.

Thanks @Nightfall

On 6/5/2018 at 1:07 PM, peedeejay said:

Another wonderful creation. The flooring is simply stunning! Very inspiring!

Cheers @peedeejay I'm flattered you find it inspiring!

On 6/5/2018 at 1:52 PM, eurotrash said:

Very effective color palette and chock full of great design. I really like the step down lounge area, the clean-lined front desk, and the SNOT floor, but it’s elevators that just look perfect.

Excellent job!

Thank you @eurotrash The step-down lounge area is probably more of a 'modernist' school of design a couple of decades later but it was a good way of getting some texture into the build. I've wanted to do that style of elevator with the mesh grille on the front for some time! :laugh:

On 6/5/2018 at 5:22 PM, Bricked1980 said:

This looks amazing. :classic: 

A lot of people (myself included :laugh:) tend to just use the straightforward chequered tile technique when it comes to floors, but I love how you've created yours with loads of interesting and textured bricks to create those fantastic patterns. It looks incredible and very realistic.

Also as other have mentioned already, the way the floor steps down slightly in the centre is a really nice touch as well.

All the colours go together perfectly and help to give a great vintage art deco feel, full of atmosphere.

Great work!

Much appreciated @Bricked1980! It my first foray into a patterned floor that's not a normal placed tile! I wouldn't of really attempted it but discovered those new half 2x2 tiles fit nicely into a newer 2x1x6 arch. Geometry being a heavy influence in Art-Deco it was a no brainer it was going in the build! I'll definitely experiment more with it in the future!

I love this so much! Compared to your other builds this is rather small, but there are so many stunning and clever details. The floor pattern is just awesome. I also love the colours and your choice of minifigures :classic:.

On 6/6/2018 at 12:31 AM, AFOLguy1970 said:

Great interior!  The elevators remind me of the ones in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining.  Thankfully, yours do not have that inherent problem the ones in the movie have :laugh:

Thank you @AFOLguy1970 I'm not sure about that, the Bellhops uniforms were originally white! :laugh:

On 6/6/2018 at 2:12 PM, paupadros said:

Kneel to the master! Your interiors always tend be be unique, but nevertheless have a cozy factor to them. For this, the first things which caught my attention were the 2x2 round plates on the top of the main wall and the round design on the flooring. Both of these look splendid. Then some finer details I saw later, like the bottom of the turntables as the lift's round window, the lift doors using fences or the "zebra" pattern right before it are beautiful and make this an overall appealing, well executed and very clean desing. I love it!

Thanks @paupadros I'm glad you noticed the round tiles above the desk, it would probably look more effective from a front on view rather than the angle shown!

On 6/6/2018 at 7:44 PM, LegoModularFan said:

In a first glance I was pretty disappointed to see "only one part of the interior" rather than a whole beautiful building like you always do... But taking a closer look, I rapidly understood that this is far from being only an interior! :wub: I don't have a lot to add that wasn't said previously. I just love the floor, the elevator, the step down lounge, the color scheme, the patterns and everything else! 

Sounds intriguing... And who knows, perhaps it's Art Nouveau... :moar:

Cheers @LegoModularFan Maybe art nouveau is next, now that I've got some interesting pieces, see what I can come up with!

On 6/6/2018 at 10:52 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What a luxury hall ...it's amazing to see wood and carpets ...great choice of colors! :wub: 

On 6/7/2018 at 11:10 AM, Man with a hat said:

oh wow. What an amazing hotel lobby. Especially that floor is brilliantly done!

Cheers @LEGO Train 12 Volts and @Man with a hat much appreciated!

Perfect as always. That floor is beautiful! The colors and that patterns are brilliant. Also really love the luggage cart design with the flexible hoses.