Sign in to follow this  
Peppermint_M

MOC: Speed Champions Robin Reliant

May I present to you my entry for the EB Event 2018 Speed Champions contest: The Robin Reliant Mk 1--

28692903618_43ddb74555_c.jpg

As with past events we were challenged to create a MOC and bring it along for everyone to judge. As a fun addition, the vote was added to the forum too, so members elsewhere could vote along with those of us in Billund.

Wondering what to build, I had been discussing the contest with my sister as I drove us to town. As she made suggestions and I considered MOC methods, we reached a crossroads. There, bumbling towards us (and quite gentlemanly-ly allowing us to take the turn first) was a nice old Robin Reliant.

"You don't see many of those on the road now, do you?" I said as we carried on down the road.

"No, not really. Which is a shame, they are quite cute and funny." My sister replied. After a beat of silence; "You should build one for the car contest!"

And thus it was decided. I was building a Robin Reliant. I chose the Mark 1 as it has quite the iconic look to it, the rounded grill and headlights looking especially nice. Then some certain friends of mine suggested I use the light bright orange shade to build. A further challenge I accepted!

After a little research and parts checking, I got to building and with some refinements the above is the result. The 75909 McLaren P1 donated most of the parts to this build, the Jungle Explorers and some Chima supplied the rest.

Below is a front view and the fact sheet I created to go with the car at the event.

27696709607_d40d98ca8f_m.jpg EBEvent2018.png

Comment, question and critique! 

I really loved all about your car! The original car is super cute and funny and you totally managed to recreate it perfectly. The color and especially the grill is my favorite part. (And also the spreadsheet was awesome) Glad you also posted it online. 

Well done. This was one of my favourite cars at the contest. It immediately stood out because of the bold color choice (had no idea so many parts are available in light bright orange), and the fact it has 3 wheels only. I wasn't familiar with the car, so I had to google it. My favourite detail is the rounded grill.

Thanks guys, it was fun to put it in the pool table with a the suped up sporty cars as a cheerful contrast :wink:

I am also working on a 4 wide classic town version and one that fits in with the modern City cars. Just for fun.