Feng-huang0296

The Lego Movie 2 - The Second Part 2019 Set Discussion

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Surprised to see more sets after all.

However to me, it's a bit "more of the same" feel, instead of like another Classic Space set.

That said, that doesn't mean the sets themselves are bad, just very low below some Hidden Side/City/Creator sets on my priority.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Yeah, but I don't plan on getting the Rexplorer, just the Rextreme Off-roader and Rexcelsior. Limited budget, y'now. Ideally, I'd want to see one more set including Benny and Balthazar's Crystal Spaceship, with a full-sized Rex-Wing to have a dogfight against. 

Don't overlook the Rexplorer! Of the three Rex-centric sets it's actually my favorite. The ship itself is beautiful, with all kinds of compartments and features. The accessories are fun (several comically huge guns, a skateboard for the raptors, and Rex' "Unusual Activity Tracker"), some Rex-branded printed soda cans; and the character selection is fantastic with two raptors (one with a unique green stripe), Rex, Emmett, and two unique Plantimals. It has a large, roomy interior and the previously mentioned detachable raptor ship. There's just a tonne of stuff to do with it! 

The off-roader is an okay set, but it's just another car (albeit with an interesting sloped construction). The alt-build for the wheeled raptor cyborg is really the hilight here, imho.

The Rexcelsior is gorgeous and full of fun details, but it's obnoxiously large (I shared a side by side of it with Benny's Spaceship! from the first Lego Movie theme on the Brickset forums if you're curious about it's relative size). While it has a rapid fire action feature, it's really just a display model. There's not much to do with it once you've built it up, outside of opening the various panels and admiring the (admittedly numerous and charming) little interior details. It does have a fantastic set of figures though! The best Emmett minifig, ever, the second best Rex in the theme, a handful of micro raptors, and the (amazing!) nano Emmett and Rex figurines. 

Seriously, of the three, the Rexplorer is my personal favorite. If you're not planning to get them all, I would strongly suggest taking another look at making it the one set thaf you do get! :D

Edited by klinton
Spelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, klinton said:

Seriously, of the three, the Rexplorer is my personal favorite. If you're not planning to get them all, I would strongly suggest taking another look at making it the one set thaf you do get! :D

I already have the Off-roader, actually. But thanks, I'll consider it. 

Honestly, my main thought about prioritising the Rexcelsior was stripping out most of the nanoscale stuff and hollowing it out to build up minifigure-scale dis/play areas. I do enjoy playing with my toys sometimes, just as much as display, though. There's just something about the Rexplorer's shaping that bothers me . . also I want to use some of the interior space of the Rexcelsior as a 'garage' for the Off-roader. 

(Side note, I also have Rex's spacesuit from Emmet's Dream House, and I've altered the hollow underside of the Off-roader to be a storage space for the suit. It fits perfectly in the empty space and I know exactly where it is if/when I need it.)

As far as 'the best Emmet' goes, I'm pretty sure that Stubble Trouble Emmet is also going to be in that Wyldstyle/Mayhem spaceship set. So really the figures barely factor into it. I'll admit that having more full-sized raptors would be good, though . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I already have the Off-roader, actually. But thanks, I'll consider it. 

Honestly, my main thought about prioritising the Rexcelsior was stripping out most of the nanoscale stuff and hollowing it out to build up minifigure-scale dis/play areas. I do enjoy playing with my toys sometimes, just as much as display, though. There's just something about the Rexplorer's shaping that bothers me . . also I want to use some of the interior space of the Rexcelsior as a 'garage' for the Off-roader. 

(Side note, I also have Rex's spacesuit from Emmet's Dream House, and I've altered the hollow underside of the Off-roader to be a storage space for the suit. It fits perfectly in the empty space and I know exactly where it is if/when I need it.)

As far as 'the best Emmet' goes, I'm pretty sure that Stubble Trouble Emmet is also going to be in that Wyldstyle/Mayhem spaceship set. So really the figures barely factor into it. I'll admit that having more full-sized raptors would be good, though . .

Just fyi: The ship is built up a lot around a dense technic frame. So, while it's quite large, there's not nearly as much interior space as I think you're imagining. The only substantial interior is the rear portion. The front is mostly just the technic frame. The interiors there are five stud wide sub-builds, attached to the frame. I'm not sure how advanced your skills are, but you'll need to rehaul the entire build to use most of the ship for anything else but nano figs. 

The navigation room at the back (the largest space) has a low ceiling clearance, again due to the frame. You can't pass an upright minifig under the beams in the middle, much less the Off-Roader. If you figure out how to sort that (removing the trigger mechanism and displacing the central beams up through the skate park might be a start), you'll need to sort how to fit the Off-Roader in lengthwise. It would just fit inside the doors sideways if you removed the turret mount section at the back. Skipping the handle sub-build (and opting for a ramp in it's place) might sort that problem though. 

I'm not trying to dissuade you here (buy the Rexplorer, yo! :p). Maybe check out the instructions before you buy, so you know what you're getting into! :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone was wondering, these are the Rex-wing fighters I was talking about.

33402758178_d1bc72c40f_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr.Cogg said:

If anyone was wondering, these are the Rex-wing fighters I was talking about.

 

I'm sure I remember then being smaller . . I'm certain I saw something somewhere that was just a raptor with brick-built wings attached where it's arms were supposed to be. Like in the alternate builds of the Off-Roader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I'm sure I remember then being smaller . . I'm certain I saw something somewhere that was just a raptor with brick-built wings attached where it's arms were supposed to be. Like in the alternate builds of the Off-Roader.

He's a motorcycle, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, obsidianheart said:

He's a motorcycle, I think.

Well, yeah, but with wings instead of the quad bike design. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I'm sure I remember then being smaller . . I'm certain I saw something somewhere that was just a raptor with brick-built wings attached where it's arms were supposed to be. Like in the alternate builds of the Off-Roader.

Flying raptors with wings instead of arms were shown in the Magazine, even silver grey ones with green stripes. It also shows some different Plantimal designs that aren't in current sets.

But I have learned that things shown there are no guarantee to see it in real LEGO, as I have seen with  Nexo Knight (Blue Lightning Scurriers) magazine's renders as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dr.Cogg said:

If anyone was wondering, these are the Rex-wing fighters I was talking about.

I woud totally buy those in a heartbeat. There was a tonne of cool stuff at the Lego House exhibit, eh? I don't think any of it will ever see prouction though. It was all concept and maquette work. The first one there was produced as smaller builds in the Movie Maker and Rexcelsior sets. I think that was the only one of the three that actually showed up on screen? 

I can see why they never did it though. Every set in the theme includes at least one core character. You'd have to include another build in the set to house someone other than a raptor to hit that marketing baseline. Anything larger than the (rubbish) spaceship in 70821 as a side build would render the price point too high to reasonably offer for a generic enemy centered set. There was just no way to package these for retail shelves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Surprised to see more sets after all.

However to me, it's a bit "more of the same" feel, instead of like another Classic Space set.

I mean, wouldn't another Classic Space set be even more "more of the same"? The piano Metalbeard looks decidedly different from any other Metalbeard released so far, and Wyldstyle and Sweet Mayhem's ship expands the otherwise still quite small Systar System faction fleet, rather than a faction that we've seen throwbacks to over and over again in recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I mean, wouldn't another Classic Space set be even more "more of the same"? The piano Metalbeard looks decidedly different from any other Metalbeard released so far, and Wyldstyle and Sweet Mayhem's ship expands the otherwise still quite small Systar System faction fleet, rather than a faction that we've seen throwbacks to over and over again in recent years.

I'm not sure that can really be classified as properly Systar themed, with Wyldstyle's black covering a lot of it. Though I suppose it would be simple enough to replace the visible black with more white and maybe strip out the blue and then it'd look pretty appropriate.

Interesting thing I noticed, though; the hybrid ships are supposed ro be hodgepodges made of parts left over after everything was broken, right? The designs on the parts at the end of the wings are exactly the same as the fins on Sweet Mayhem's Systar Spaceship. Same part, same sticker. It's a really nice way to emphasise that this ship was made using parts from Mayhem's old ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They still have enough material to do another wave:

- Rexwing Fighters alongside Unikitty in her flightmode

- Benny/Balthazar Crystal Spaceship

- Metalbeard/Ice Cream Cone Pirate Spaceship

- Some more matchup vehicles

- Batbunker

- "Normal" Apocalypseburg houses

- Custom Apocalypsevehicles

Some of these would work pretty well in pairs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I wouldn't call Rex a minor character, Benny sure but Rex is the main villain of the movie (or at least he turns out to be)

I'm not calling him minor, I'm calling him "much more minor than Lucy", which is true as she was important in both movies and he only appeared in the second part :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I'm not sure that can really be classified as properly Systar themed, with Wyldstyle's black covering a lot of it. Though I suppose it would be simple enough to replace the visible black with more white and maybe strip out the blue and then it'd look pretty appropriate.

Interesting thing I noticed, though; the hybrid ships are supposed ro be hodgepodges made of parts left over after everything was broken, right? The designs on the parts at the end of the wings are exactly the same as the fins on Sweet Mayhem's Systar Spaceship. Same part, same sticker. It's a really nice way to emphasise that this ship was made using parts from Mayhem's old ship. 

Having attempted quite a few MOCs already with the parts of the Pop-Up Party Bus and the Systar Starship, black isn't exactly an insignificant part of the color scheme of the other Systar System sets... it's just that on those sets, it's mostly contained to the interior spaces of the sets (such as the cockpit and Karaoke stage of the bus and the interior hatches of the Starship). Which, yes, sets this apart a bit from the other Systar ships pre-rebuilding, but like you mention with the wings it doesn't seem implausible to imagine this is built out of the same parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Having attempted quite a few MOCs already with the parts of the Pop-Up Party Bus and the Systar Starship, black isn't exactly an insignificant part of the color scheme of the other Systar System sets... it's just that on those sets, it's mostly contained to the interior spaces of the sets (such as the cockpit and Karaoke stage of the bus and the interior hatches of the Starship). Which, yes, sets this apart a bit from the other Systar ships pre-rebuilding, but like you mention with the wings it doesn't seem implausible to imagine this is built out of the same parts.

I don't have the Party Bus at present, only the Systar Spaceship (after seeing how small a role in the movie the Bus had, I lost a lot of interest, but a lot of retailers are putting it on increasingly generously discounts in my area so I might get it after all.) but you have a point. 

And MOCs? Do you have pictures? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly, the August wave is missing from the Swiss catalogue, which seems to confirm stonewars‘ report that this wave won‘t be released in Germany, Austria and Switzerland :sad: As long as they show up on s@h, I don‘t mind that too much though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Interestingly, the August wave is missing from the Swiss catalogue, which seems to confirm stonewars‘ report that this wave won‘t be released in Germany, Austria and Switzerland :sad: As long as they show up on s@h, I don‘t mind that too much though

Why wouldn't they be released in those countries? That's just weird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Why wouldn't they be released in those countries? That's just weird

Nothing weird about it, considering that barely anyone even saw the movie. It totally bombed here and as I said earlier, even the existing sets don't seem to sell all that well. When something as trivial and cheap as the Triple Decker Couch is only sold directly from LEGO ans Smyth's Toys, you know something is wrong...

Mylenium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I don't have the Party Bus at present, only the Systar Spaceship (after seeing how small a role in the movie the Bus had, I lost a lot of interest, but a lot of retailers are putting it on increasingly generously discounts in my area so I might get it after all.) but you have a point. 

And MOCs? Do you have pictures? 

I said "attempted" for a reason. Unfortunately I never really came up with anything I was happy enough with to record. :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Having attempted quite a few MOCs already with the parts of the Pop-Up Party Bus and the Systar Starship, black isn't exactly an insignificant part of the color scheme of the other Systar System sets... it's just that on those sets, it's mostly contained to the interior spaces of the sets (such as the cockpit and Karaoke stage of the bus and the interior hatches of the Starship). Which, yes, sets this apart a bit from the other Systar ships pre-rebuilding, but like you mention with the wings it doesn't seem implausible to imagine this is built out of the same parts.

Also, I think it helps that the Systar System sets already don't have totally identical color schemes, but rather just some unifying color harmonies and motifs. For example:

  • The Party Bus uses Vibrant Coral and Tr. Bright Bluish Violet (Trans-Purple), neither of which are major parts of the the Systar Starship, Wyld-Chaos Starfighter, or Space Palace color schemes
  • The Systar Starship doesn't use either of those colors but DOES use Tr. Medium Reddish VIolet (Trans-Dark Pink) more prominently than the rest of the aforementioned sets.
  • The Space Palace and the ships it deploys feature Warm Gold, Medium Lilac, and Tr. Light Blue much more prominently than either the Party Bus or Systar Starship.

With all that in mind, I don't think the Wyld-Chaos Starfighter would feel too out of place among them. If I were buying multiples of any of the sets to create a fleet I might stick with just one of that ship as some sort of elite fighter, but as somebody who's more interested in just getting one of each, I think it will fit in quite nicely alongside the others.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:50 AM, Guyon2002 said:

They still have enough material to do another wave:

- Rexwing Fighters alongside Unikitty in her flightmode

- Benny/Balthazar Crystal Spaceship

- Metalbeard/Ice Cream Cone Pirate Spaceship

- Some more matchup vehicles

- Batbunker

- "Normal" Apocalypseburg houses

- Custom Apocalypsevehicles

Some of these would work pretty well in pairs

I would also love to see some of these in the future, Particularly the other character mashup ships from that big climactic scene in the third act (I'm a little more indifferent to some of the Apocalypseburg stuff, which I think has gotten decent representation in the earlier waves).

And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see another wave late this year or early next year, just as we did for The LEGO Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie. Sure, some folks are anecdotally observing that the sets aren't selling well, but people said the same thing about Nexo Knights even in its first year, and it not only ended up being successful and surpassing the LEGO Group's sales targets, but also lasting a solid two and a half years.

Another omission that still stands out to me is the other vampire girl who showed up alongside Balthazar in his debut scene. It's possible that like some of Garmadon's IT nerds she might not be a big priority compared to more unique or named characters, but I'm holding out hope that she and other mini-doll characters from the movie end up showing up in sets, considering the outstanding quality of those that have appeared in sets so far.

A set representing Harmony Town in some way could also be nice, since particularly when it grew into a towering maze during the big chase scene, it had a pretty nifty aesthetic we haven't really seen in any of the sets so far.

3 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Nothing weird about it, considering that barely anyone even saw the movie. It totally bombed here and as I said earlier, even the existing sets don't seem to sell all that well. When something as trivial and cheap as the Triple Decker Couch is only sold directly from LEGO ans Smyth's Toys, you know something is wrong...

I'm not sure that's a sign of something being "wrong" when store exclusives are a pretty normal thing in larger themes regardless of what size/price point they end up being. Who's to say that Smyths wasn't planning to have an exclusive all along, and that just happened to be the one that LEGO agreed on for them?

And "barely anyone even saw the movie" is a pretty severe overstatement, particularly when the movie's difficulty breaking even seems to have considerably more to do with the size of its production budget than with low box office numbers. Its worldwide gross so far has been over $191 million USD. If its budget had been as low as The LEGO Movie's $60–65 million USD (about $65–70 million if adjusted for inflation) it would have already more than doubled, and possibly nearly tripled, its production expenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Also, I think it helps that the Systar System sets already don't have totally identical color schemes, but rather just some unifying color harmonies and motifs. For example:

  • The Party Bus uses Vibrant Coral and Tr. Bright Bluish Violet (Trans-Purple), neither of which are major parts of the the Systar Starship, Wyld-Chaos Starfighter, or Space Palace color schemes
  • The Systar Starship doesn't use either of those colors but DOES use Tr. Medium Reddish VIolet (Trans-Dark Pink) more prominently than the rest of the aforementioned sets.
  • The Space Palace and the ships it deploys feature Warm Gold, Medium Lilac, and Tr. Light Blue much more prominently than either the Party Bus or Systar Starship.

With all that in mind, I don't think the Wyld-Chaos Starfighter would feel too out of place among them. If I were buying multiples of any of the sets to create a fleet I might stick with just one of that ship as some sort of elite fighter, but as somebody who's more interested in just getting one of each, I think it will fit in quite nicely alongside the others.

Personally, I'd do it the other way; have the Starfighter be the 'fleet' and the Systar Spaceship be the elite fighter. 

Might just do that, actually. If they put the Starfighter on a good discount (which they've done with a lot of the movie sets at various stores so I'm hopeful} it could be really cool to get, say, three of them and suspend them and Mayhem's ship above my city as a fleet. 

That would also allow for interpreting the Party Bus as a non-combatant, diplomatic vehicle. Yeah, I like where this is going. 

100% on board with a Harmony Town set, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I don't have the Party Bus at present, only the Systar Spaceship (after seeing how small a role in the movie the Bus had, I lost a lot of interest, but a lot of retailers are putting it on increasingly generously discounts in my area so I might get it after all.) but you have a point. 

And MOCs? Do you have pictures? 

I cannot recommend the Party Bus highly enough! I got it mostly on a whim (I had loads of VIP points to burn and honestly the biggest initial draw for me was getting the first set to feature a new color), but I had a blast building it. The fold-out functions and light brick feature make it the most entertaining LEGO vehicle set I've seen in... well, ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.