Feng-huang0296

The Lego Movie 2 - The Second Part 2019 Set Discussion

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

#1 Girrafe Suit Guy

#2 Dorothy Gale

The giraffe is the best looking without a doubt! Have no interest in Dorothy, but Toto look excellent :wub: It would be interesting to see the result if anyone did a poll; rate just the minifigs from 1 to 20 and then at the same time rate the accessories from 1 to 20. A fig like Benny would probably end up low in the poll , but his accessory probably rather high in the other poll :classic: Could be used as a feedback to Lego what kind of accessories we prefer as well :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, legonerd54321 said:

Question: Why do you all think this is going to be bad? Didn't we all think TLM was going to be bad from its first trailers and TV spots??

I had a generally positive outlook on ALL the previous LEGO Movie's Marketing (The Dabbing Zane joke was ironic and not even in the movie, calm down guys) and though I like some better than others I enjoyed all of those films. However with this film the marketing has me WORRIED. From the marketing it looks like it has a lot of what I don't like in Animated films and sequels.

(Possible Spoilers Below)

Spoiler

1. Shelving the supporting cast - from what I'm getting from stuff in books balthazar's "spa" is likely really used for mind controlling Benny, Batman, Unikitty and Metalbeard effectively shutting them out of the plot 

2. Obnoxious twist - From the looks of it the twist is 

(REAL BIG SPOILER BELOW)

Spoiler

Rex is The Man Upstairs' original Emmet figure he lost and was the villain all along, now this on it's own is alright the problem is that Apparently Queen Watevra was actually good all along but the problem here is if you make Rex and Co represents the extremes of "Boyish" playing and the Queen Watevra and the Systar System peeps represent "Girly" play if you make one the villain and put the other on a pedestal it sends the message that one of the ways of playing is "Right" and that's not exactly a good message for kids.

 3.Repetitive Jokes - Quite a few of of the jokes we've seen are Character A (Unikitty, Emmet, Rex) says something (Everything can be awesome, Nothing got in, We have to be super tough) then the opposite happens.

4. Being "Hip" - We've all commented on the scene of Batman flossing and while on it's own it's pretty trivial and doesn't matter it makes me fear the film could be filled with that sorta thing.

Despite all of this I don't believe this film WILL be bad I'm just worried it might. Really most of my complaints could end up being be completely frivolous in the hands of a good writer, which Phil Lord and Chris Miller are, the the thing that worries me is how much control the director of such masterpieces as: Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo, Alvin and the chipmunks: Chipwrecked, shrek forever after and Trolls had over the project

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, legonerd54321 said:

Question: Why do you all think this is going to be bad? Didn't we all think TLM was going to be bad from its first trailers and TV spots??

Well I'm hoping it won't be, but without getting too political, lately a lot of films have started to inject Gender Politics into themselves and I find it very distracting and is certainly not something that I want my kid exposed to; so if it's like that we'll leave mid-film.

Also, sequels are notorious for not being as good as the original. I think one thing that cannot be escaped is that it's just not novel anymore to have a Lego Movie and peoples will no longer have their expectations blown, as was the case with the original.

And lastly, I fear the over use of Minidoll and Duplo characters. I realise that these are important to some people but I don't care for them and I feel like most people who look in from outside of the Lego fandom won't be able to tell you that a Minidoll is Lego and they certainly won't hold any nostalgia for them.

Hopefully though, the film will end up being as good as the first one and although we won't be blown away by more of the same, at least it will be enjoyable for years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, leafan said:

Well I'm hoping it won't be, but without getting too political, lately a lot of films have started to inject Gender Politics into themselves and I find it very distracting and is certainly not something that I want my kid exposed to; so if it's like that we'll leave mid-film.

Also, sequels are notorious for not being as good as the original. I think one thing that cannot be escaped is that it's just not novel anymore to have a Lego Movie and peoples will no longer have their expectations blown, as was the case with the original.

And lastly, I fear the over use of Minidoll and Duplo characters. I realise that these are important to some people but I don't care for them and I feel like most people who look in from outside of the Lego fandom won't be able to tell you that a Minidoll is Lego and they certainly won't hold any nostalgia for them.

Hopefully though, the film will end up being as good as the first one and although we won't be blown away by more of the same, at least it will be enjoyable for years to come.

What do you mean by gender politics? Or should I ask in DM/PM?

Edited by J4ck
1900 POSTS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J4ck said:

What do you mean by gender politics? Or should I ask in DM/PM?

No need for a PM just yet, unless you want to discuss in depth perhaps? I was talking about the modern fascination with multiple genders outside of Male & Female (Queen Whatevra Wanabe gives me that vibe) and how during the films early development, there was talk of the script focussing on gender roles and their differences. Now don't get me wrong, that could just be how a boy and girl play with toys differently, which is fine by me (if not particularly interesting).

Oh and portraying the male gender as either weak, simple minded or arrogant, whilst the females are portrayed as "Mary Sue's" and simply tolerate men or kick their megablocks.

Most of that would be subliminal to a kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, leafan said:

No need for a PM just yet, unless you want to discuss in depth perhaps? I was talking about the modern fascination with multiple genders outside of Male & Female (Queen Whatevra Wanabe gives me that vibe) and how during the films early development, there was talk of the script focussing on gender roles and their differences. Now don't get me wrong, that could just be how a boy and girl play with toys differently, which is fine by me (if not particularly interesting).

Oh and portraying the male gender as either weak, simple minded or arrogant, whilst the females are portrayed as "Mary Sue's" and simply tolerate men or kick their megablocks.

Most of that would be subliminal to a kid.

On the first point, as someone who belongs to one of those genders outside the Male & Female binary, I'd be absolutely DELIGHTED if they had a character who was gender fluid/non-binary, but with the caveat that they do it right & aren't heavy-handed with it (a good example of what I mean by "doing it right" is the one character in the Loud House who had two dads:  yes, they're gay, but nobody really comments on it and they're just treated like any other character in the series with the only real verbal acknowledgement of their relationship is other characters referring to them as "Clyde's dads").  And I don't think it would be "subliminal" to kids, either:  Ever since I was as young as 5 years old, I knew I was different than other boys, but other kids my age & most teachers I had used to mock & deride me for liking "girl stuff", and I have been absolutely THRILLED if there would have been someone or something, even a movie, that basically said, "You know what?  It's ok to not fit neatly into the "boy" or "girl" boxes, rather than trying to make me feel like I was sick or wrong for being who I am.

As for the second, I do agree that the "Strong Female Character" (a.k.a. Mary Sue or borderline Mary Sue) paired with an Al Bundy/Homer Simpson clone (i.e. stupid, boorish male lead) is annoying, unfair to guys & overdone, but from what I've seen of the previews this movie seems to be about subverting those stereotypical Hollywood male lead tropes rather than reinforcing them...

Also @Renny The Spaceman in regards to your spoilered comments above:

 

Spoiler

I think what is actually going to be the plot twist is that BOTH Queen Watev'ra AND Rex are sorta the villains, not because they're evil per se, but rather because they both represent extremes:  With Rex being the over-the top, macho, toxic masculinity & Queen Whatev'ra being the manipulative, overly girly end of the spectrum, and it's up to Emmet to bring both sides to less extreme positions.   That's my theory at least. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leafan said:

Well I'm hoping it won't be, but without getting too political, lately a lot of films have started to inject Gender Politics into themselves and I find it very distracting

Let me guess:

Everything being about god-like super heroic men kicking butt: Not gender politics

A single strong woman, or god forbid treating women as equals: OH MY GOD MALE GENOCIDE THE SJW'S HAVE GONE TOO FAR

1 hour ago, leafan said:

and I find it very distracting and is certainly not something that I want my kid exposed to; so if it's like that we'll leave mid-film.

That is some ridiculous pearl clutching. 

1 hour ago, leafan said:

I was talking about the modern fascination with multiple genders outside of Male & Female (Queen Whatevra Wanabe gives me that vibe)

Aliens existing is evidence of a radical transgender agenda...wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, danth said:

Let me guess:

Everything being about god-like super heroic men kicking butt: Not gender politics

A single strong woman, or god forbid treating women as equals: OH MY GOD MALE GENOCIDE THE SJW'S HAVE GONE TOO FAR

That is some ridiculous pearl clutching. 

Aliens existing is evidence of a radical transgender agenda...wow!

I'm fine if you disagree with me, but perhaps you could leave a constructive reply like @Laura Takayama did rather than getting all defensive and trying to paint me like a woman hater?

I'm not going to try to defend what I believe to be true because I was simply answering @J4ck's question.

So take whatever you want from what I said, but it's no use getting your knickers in a twist; I'm not changing my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Laura Takayama said:

Also @Renny The Spaceman in regards to your spoilered comments above:

 

  Hide contents

I think what is actually going to be the plot twist is that BOTH Queen Watev'ra AND Rex are sorta the villains, not because they're evil per se, but rather because they both represent extremes:  With Rex being the over-the top, macho, toxic masculinity & Queen Whatev'ra being the manipulative, overly girly end of the spectrum, and it's up to Emmet to bring both sides to less extreme positions.   That's my theory at least. ;)

 

Spoiler

That's what I'm hoping for too, any alternative way would feel counterintuitive to the film's effort to smudge the line between "girls toys" and "boys toys" 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Laura Takayama said:

On the first point, as someone who belongs to one of those genders outside the Male & Female binary, I'd be absolutely DELIGHTED if they had a character who was gender fluid/non-binary, but with the caveat that they do it right & aren't heavy-handed with it (a good example of what I mean by "doing it right" is the one character in the Loud House who had two dads:  yes, they're gay, but nobody really comments on it and they're just treated like any other character in the series with the only real verbal acknowledgement of their relationship is other characters referring to them as "Clyde's dads").  And I don't think it would be "subliminal" to kids, either:  Ever since I was as young as 5 years old, I knew I was different than other boys, but other kids my age & most teachers I had used to mock & deride me for liking "girl stuff", and I have been absolutely THRILLED if there would have been someone or something, even a movie, that basically said, "You know what?  It's ok to not fit neatly into the "boy" or "girl" boxes, rather than trying to make me feel like I was sick or wrong for being who I am.
 

Thank you. I completely agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leafan said:

Oh and portraying the male gender as either weak, simple minded or arrogant, whilst the females are portrayed as "Mary Sue's" and simply tolerate men or kick their megablocks.

So basically what they did in the first film?

Emmet: simple minded, blind follower, oblivious, weak and scared (until self sacrifice)

Batman: arrogant, selfish, egotistical, narcissistic, materialistic, treats girlfriend poorly (until he lets her go)

Wildstyle: opinionated, courageous, rebellious, fighter

Unikitty: caring, cheerful, helpful to others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, koalayummies said:

So basically what they did in the first film?

Emmet: simple minded, blind follower, oblivious, weak and scared (until self sacrifice)

Batman: arrogant, selfish, egotistical, narcissistic, materialistic, treats girlfriend poorly (until he lets her go)

Wildstyle: opinionated, courageous, rebellious, fighter

Unikitty: caring, cheerful, helpful to others

Yeah they did some of that in the first film. Let's hope it's not the same with the new characters like Rex, Queen Whatevra Wanabe etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so what the actual heck?

Why is this sort of discussion suited to the SET discussion thread, as in the toys that come from the film NOT the plot of the film. Or the plot of the past film. Or any of this Piers Morgan style dismissal of people who do not conform to the 1950's accepted norm.

So, take it the heck away from here and no one will be having any trouble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Peppermint_M said:

Ok, so what the actual heck?

Why is this sort of discussion suited to the SET discussion thread, as in the toys that come from the film NOT the plot of the film. Or the plot of the past film. Or any of this Piers Morgan style dismissal of people who do not conform to the 1950's accepted norm.

So, take it the heck away from here and no one will be having any trouble. 

lol ok, thanks for the warning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, koalayummies said:

So basically what they did in the first film?

Emmet: simple minded, blind follower, oblivious, weak and scared (until self sacrifice)

Batman: arrogant, selfish, egotistical, narcissistic, materialistic, treats girlfriend poorly (until he lets her go)

Wildstyle: opinionated, courageous, rebellious, fighter

Unikitty: caring, cheerful, helpful to others

I feel like that's sorta cherry picking traits to prove your point (well except Batman, you got that one spot on) you could very find ways to flip that around 

Emmet: Cheerful, caring, a good leader, sacrifices himself for others and realises the way to save the day isn't by fighting but by showing compassion

Wildstyle: Looks down on others without her gifts, doesn't understand the artresty of a Double decker couch

Unikitty: Suppresses emotions until they manifest violently

(Plus Characters Like vitruvius and Benny exist)

The characters in this film were well rounded, flawed, realistic people I'm sure the characters in TLM2 will be as well and I'm pretty sure no-one here or at LEGO is trying to make women "conform to the 1950's accepted norm" or  portray " the male gender as either weak, simple minded or arrogant" so let's stop this arguing and do as Peppermint_M said and go back to disscussing toys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Renny The Spaceman said:

I feel like that's sorta cherry picking traits to prove your point (well except Batman, you got that one spot on) you could very find ways to flip that around 

Emmet: Cheerful, caring, a good leader, sacrifices himself for others and realises the way to save the day isn't by fighting but by showing compassion

Wildstyle: Looks down on others without her gifts, doesn't understand the artresty of a Double decker couch

Unikitty: Suppresses emotions until they manifest violently

(Plus Characters Like vitruvius and Benny exist)

The characters in this film were well rounded, flawed, realistic people I'm sure the characters in TLM2 will be as well and I'm pretty sure no-one here or at LEGO is trying to make women "conform to the 1950's accepted norm" or  portray " the male gender as either weak, simple minded or arrogant" so let's stop this arguing and do as Peppermint_M said and go back to disscussing toys.

I knew I liked you Renny.

How much would you spend on that potential future space launch set? You know the one I'm on about :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Renny The Spaceman said:

My Soul

Haha shhhh don't, there could be a Lego designer reading this that's willing to make that trade!

Did you notice how said possible set is styled in the more simplistic Classic style? Unlike Benny's Spaceship from the first movie (although I love and own that set).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, leafan said:

Haha shhhh don't, there could be a Lego designer reading this that's willing to make that trade!

Did you notice how said possible set is styled in the more simplistic Classic style? Unlike Benny's Spaceship from the first movie (although I love and own that set).

It makes sense, the Neo-Classic space look is cool but they can't top Benny's spaceship so trying a different type of spaceship is the smart play. I personally love that as the theme they seem to be going for it this TLM2 CS stuff is making it feel like if CS was never canceled, if CS had been going strong for 41 years this is what it'd be like, the same style but with new pieces.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Renny The Spaceman said:

It makes sense, the Neo-Classic space look is cool but they can't top Benny's spaceship so trying a different type of spaceship is the smart play. I personally love that as the theme they seem to be going for it this TLM2 CS stuff is making it feel like if CS was never canceled, if CS had been going strong for 41 years this is what it'd be like, the same style but with new pieces.  

Yes! And I'm holding a not-so-secret hope that there's differently coloured Classic Spacemen to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, leafan said:

Yes! And I'm holding a not-so-secret hope that there's differently coloured Classic Spacemen to come.

An orange or Purple would be nice, maybe re-releases of Red and Black to round out the set (Plus it'd be nice to have a Black Spaceguy with gold still on his torso) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Renny The Spaceman said:

An orange or Purple would be nice, maybe re-releases of Red and Black to round out the set (Plus it'd be nice to have a Black Spaceguy with gold still on his torso) 

Yeah those seem like the best colour options, but how do you feel about Gold and Silver, both in Matte and Chrome as separate minifigures?

I got lucky with the old Black Spacemen, because there were a few in cockpits for various 80s sets in a large lot I bought.

Everything else in the lot had fallen apart apart from 2-3 of the figures sitting in their cockpit areas and one was a perfect Black Spaceman, like new, gold logo 'n' all.

Damn lucky I know.

Edited by leafan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, leafan said:

Yeah those seem like the best colour options, but how do you feel about Gold and Silver, both in Matte and Chrome as separate minifigures?

I'd hate them just based on the sorta person you'd have to be to wear gold, so Snobby and Pretentious, NO-ONE'S IMPRESSED YOU WERE BORN ON VOGA DENNY!

1 minute ago, leafan said:

I got lucky with the old Black Spacemen, because there were a few in cockpits for various 80s sets in a large lot I bought.

Everything else in the lot had fallen apart apart from 2-3 of the figures sitting in their cockpit areas and one was a perfect Black Spaceman, like new, gold logo 'n' all.

Damn lucky I know.

You're a witch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

I'd hate them just based on the sorta person you'd have to be to wear gold, so Snobby and Pretentious, NO-ONE'S IMPRESSED YOU WERE BORN ON VOGA DENNY!

You're a witch

Haha! :laugh:

The chrome ones have to be that way to reflect Rex's awesomeness.

I really can't wait to see how those space battle scenes from the movie translate into the sets. I so hope the summer wave holds everything we could want, including some cheaper ways to get the post-apocalypse minifigures.

I also predict a Batman/Queen Whatevra wedding set. You heard it here first!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.