Fenghuang0296

The Lego Movie 2 - The Second Part 2019 Set Discussion

24 minutes ago, anothergol said:

Nope, it has that cartoonish wide-mouth on both sides (one happy & one sad), a face that hardly fits in Lego's common face design.

Do kids even want that set anyway? They won't want it for Benny alone, and he's in 2 other sets, not counting the past & future ones.
But I'm not disagreeing that it would look odd, marketing-wise, to have a set with just classic spacemen.

Ah, didn't realize that this Benny didn't have the classic smiley. The one from his first set appearance did.

Kids had BETTER want that set because if not I don't see why Lego would bother making it at all. Smaller sets like this one are generally designed to sell in massive quantities to a wide audience, as a "gateway" to the larger and more expensive sets. I doubt army building by passionate Space fans alone would be enough to make up the difference in sales volume if kids didn't buy it.

Conversely, I think having Benny in the set has a great chance of appealing to wider audiences. Kids don't necessarily have the same nostalgia for classic space but from what I've seen they LOVE Benny's oddball personality. And this set will still be the cheapest way to get him, despite two more expensive options existing.

From a more cynical perspective, Lego has little to lose by adding Benny instead of a fourth new spaceman. AFOLs are going to stockpile it for the other three anyway.

And from a more optimistic perspective—look on the bright side, it could have just been another Emmet. :tongue:

Edited by Lyichir

11 hours ago, Laura Takayama said:

So it basically comes down to personal preference.  I like minidolls, space stuff & post-apocalyptic stuff, so this of course would appeal more to me than the rather bland (IMO) offerings from the last movie's sets.

The Lego Movie 2 sounds like the perfect wave for you and I’m happy you love this theme.

10 hours ago, Lyichir said:

What girl themes did you remember from the original? Because the way I remember it those sorts of themes were notably absent from the original, with the debatable exception of the Cloud Cuckoo Palace. I would argue that the new movie has a much better balance BETWEEN "boyish" and "girlish" subject matter, as exemplified best by Rex Dangervest's vehicles and the Systar System vehicles respectively.

Quite true admittedly. Maybe I’m narrowing it down to my personal interests! But to be fair my original point was there was a balance between many themes whereas TLM2 focuses on 2 or 3 themes instead of having a varied balance between many themes.

7 hours ago, Laura Takayama said:

I'm hoping they have some more Apocalypseburg characters in the CMF series, because my wasteland raiders faction has been sadly neglected for the past several years & needs some love (although I am in the process of making a custom Lord Humungus fig), but some more Classic Space figs would always be welcome. 

Also, since I brought up my wasteland raider factions, I'm probably going to also be adding the Escape Buggy to my "must buy" list, because if I'm going to have roving bands of Mad Max-style raiders in the wastes, they need rides, which they're sorely lacking right now, and this thing would be a GREAT starting point for making some wasteland raider vehicles (need to festoon it with spikes, guns & maybe some skulls & ragged banners).

Summer could always bring us more post-apocalyptic sets :wink: I’m sure hoping so!

4 hours ago, anothergol said:

Who wants Benny himself, though? We only need 1 Benny, and we already all have at least one.. so I'm pretty sure that Bricklink will be filled with Benny's in the near future. Benny's head, torso & helmet are so specific that they can't even be recycled.

We’ve got two variants of benny in TLM2.

Speaking as someone who was in a Dark Age when the first Lego Movie rolled around and actually does not have a Benny minifigure . . I want Benny!

I also want the other Classic Spacemen, just because of how big a part of Lego's history they are. Here's hoping they do proper Red, Black and Blue Classic Spacemen in the near future. (Red especially, I can live without the 'spy' Classic Spaceman, but we need at least one pilot. 

Oh, hey, everyone? Speaking of the 'jobs' of Classic Spacemen; if Red ones are pilots, Black ones are spies, Blue ones are soldiers, Yellow ones are scientists, White ones are explorers and Green ones are mech pilots, what role do you think Pink Classic Spacemen have? (This also applies to the semi-official Grey Classic Spaceman they did in that CMF Rocket Boy a while back, but less so.)

5 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Speaking as someone who was in a Dark Age when the first Lego Movie rolled around and actually does not have a Benny minifigure . . I want Benny!

I also want the other Classic Spacemen, just because of how big a part of Lego's history they are. Here's hoping they do proper Red, Black and Blue Classic Spacemen in the near future. (Red especially, I can live without the 'spy' Classic Spaceman, but we need at least one pilot. 

Oh, hey, everyone? Speaking of the 'jobs' of Classic Spacemen; if Red ones are pilots, Black ones are spies, Blue ones are soldiers, Yellow ones are scientists, White ones are explorers and Green ones are mech pilots, what role do you think Pink Classic Spacemen have? (This also applies to the semi-official Grey Classic Spaceman they did in that CMF Rocket Boy a while back, but less so.)

While the color-based roles aren't really a universal interpretation of why the colors are the way they are, according to that system I would personally categorize the pink ones in a role like medical professionals (an important sort of role for a long-term space colony that is probably more specific than the mission-based scientific research the yellow ones might specialize in).

Edited by Lyichir

I expect my daughter will like the spacemen minifigs. I figured we needed two copies. One for me and one for the kids—and the pink one will likely get the most use (though she could surprise me since she also loves blue) — though probably as a girl baby instead of an adult male. We have no baby minifigs so baby-looking minifigs are liable to play the part

Edited by Sarah

8 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Yes but my message was: you/we need/want ONE Benny, while that pack is massable and there is gonna be a lot of Benny leftovers (on Bricklink, I predict under 1 buck).

Btw red & blue classic spacemen are still not too expensive on BL, as used with proper gold prints (many many without, but that's worthless). Black & white however, unaffordable. Which is why I wrote I'd have preffered a fourth spaceman, a black one. Or a green or a LBG one, because we only have torsos for these. We have no proper green & LBG helmet, nor a LBG airtank.

Edited by anothergol

4 hours ago, anothergol said:

Yes but my message was: you/we need/want ONE Benny, while that pack is massable and there is gonna be a lot of Benny leftovers (on Bricklink, I predict under 1 buck).

Btw red & blue classic spacemen are still not too expensive on BL, as used with proper gold prints (many many without, but that's worthless). Black & white however, unaffordable. Which is why I wrote I'd have preffered a fourth spaceman, a black one. Or a green or a LBG one, because we only have torsos for these. We have no proper green & LBG helmet, nor a LBG airtank.

Again, it's a matter of different things for different audiences. The real die-hard Space fans are the ones who are going to want to amass large quantities of the set. But most buyers will just be buying just one copy of the set for all the named characters it contains, including Benny himself. While yes, this means that a lot of army builders are going to want to offload their excess Bennys, that's not really going to STOP them from buying up packs just for the other three figs. So replacing Benny would really just constitute satisfying a smaller audience who would buy the set anyway at the expense of a larger one that might need that extra incentive.

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

that's not really going to STOP them from buying up packs just for the other three figs.

let's say it will make me buy less of them, or buy one & wait for a significant price cut

Sweet Mayhem's hairpiece has an iridescent effect as shown on a leaked pic of the figure

Awesome printing :wub:

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

that's not really going to STOP them from buying up packs just for the other three figs

It sure ain't gonna stop me. :wub:

I find it equally amusing and confusing that people who are actively part of a community that utilises a product for which the possibilities are quite literally endless, are projecting their dislikes of this theme onto children. Children don’t think the same as adults, plus the company is famous for target market testing, so the chances are TLG is happy with what they have put out, otherwise who exactly are they aiming it at? The simple fact that we have an acronym to describe ourselves apart from the target audience tells you a lot about the  product, the target market and the company behind it.

A lot of children like Lego full stop, regardless of theme. For instance one of my son’s favourite things to do is swap hair, hat or helmet pieces. A vehicle doesn’t have to be badged up as whoever he wants it to be, if he’s happy with the thing then he will use his imagination to pretend whatever he wants.

While we're on the subject of getting duplicate figs, I just realized that if I get all of the "absolutely must buy" sets in this wave, I'll end up with 3 Sweet Mayhem minidolls.... Which I'm 100 billion % cool with, because I'm sure I can work a squad of power-armored amazons somewhere into my setting.

Also, when I saw the trailer the other day, and she introduced herself as "General Mayhem", I just had to smile:  When my brother & I played with our own LEGO world & were fighting against some major villain, we'd end up naming mid-tier enemy unit commanders with rank-based punny names.  I.e. Gen. Chaos, Gen. Confusion, Col. O'Corn, Maj. Catastrophe, Maj. Disaster, etc, and Gen. Mayhem would have fit right in with the rest of them.

The new LM2 space sets make me want to build one of the Bennys spaceships I've had sitting in the closet since the last movie. I think they might look good displayed together.

Between that ^ and the couple mad max-ish vehicles I'm more interested in this wave than any from the original movie.

Edited by lego the hutt

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Sweet Mayhem's hairpiece has an iridescent effect as shown on a leaked pic of the figure

Awesome printing :wub:

Yeah, that hair looks amazing.

I will likely get nearly all the sets for this wave maybe even go double dip on some sets which i rarely do

im glad that batman only comes in a smaller £18 set this wave

i really really regret not buying bennys spaceship spaceship spaceship when it was available as the bennys crew set was made for it

According to mini lego on Instagram, the Batman with arm printing we have seen in all of the trailers/ promo art comes in one of the exclusive sets we haven’t seen yet 

He has double molded arms and legs, unlike the one in the Metalbeard set

Actually I like the one in the Metalbeard set better

Really? Saying where the picture of the leaked minifigure is located? I’ll have you know that’s illegal. These leaked minifigures are stolen from factories and sold to these Instagramers and some of them (like ninja whip) sell them profiting off of stolen property. Despicable. And then the community turns a blind eye just so they can get what they want. SMH.

Oh and in case there’s any doubt I’ve had multiple Lego employees confirm this for me.

On 11/28/2018 at 5:13 AM, anothergol said:

That sort of thing happens all the time, of course. A current Star Wars battle pack (75206) features two specific, unique Jedi characters alongside two “generic” clone trooper army builders. A number of the Middle-Earth sets featured one or more unique characters in a mix of minifigures otherwise perfectly suited for army-building.

I already have multiple Bennys from the first two years’ worth of LEGO cinema goodness (at least one of each boxed TLM set except MetalBeard’s Sea Cow, plus duplicates of both Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! and the Benny Fun Pack for LEGO Dimensions), and I’m not parting them out on BL even though I don’t really need that many Bennys, simply because I don’t want to break up the sets.

I’m very much hoping we’ll get this “new old” helmet in those additional colors, myself.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

So I called the local authorities and reported the guy that told me where to view leaked minifigs and they told me they could care less and actually were quite rude towards me. 

19 hours ago, J4ck said:

Really? Saying where the picture of the leaked minifigure is located? I’ll have you know that’s illegal. These leaked minifigures are stolen from factories and sold to these Instagramers and some of them (like ninja whip) sell them profiting off of stolen property. Despicable. And then the community turns a blind eye just so they can get what they want.

That seems to affect you a lot. Like, personally.

19 hours ago, J4ck said:

If you’re wondering why Lego took down a couple of leakers’ accounts it’s because I screenshotted them and sent them to Lego

*speechless*

Joke aside, I searched #sweetmayhem on Instagram to know what it was all about, only to end up in a gallery of Lego, boobs & cakes.

Edited by anothergol

On 11/29/2018 at 8:11 PM, Falconfan1414 said:

According to mini lego on Instagram, the Batman with arm printing we have seen in all of the trailers/ promo art comes in one of the exclusive sets we haven’t seen yet 

Glad to find the pictures.  Now I can prepare my budget ahead of time for the Batman minifigure I want the most.  To be honest, I will likely end up buying the Batman with arm printing on BrickLink.  I don't need the armor, head, or cowl, though, so I will probably buy a few pieces.  It's great to see all the parts up front.  Now I know I just want the torso and legs.

Thanks for the tip!

15 hours ago, anothergol said:

That seems to affect you a lot. Like, personally.

*speechless*

I’m sick of people turning a blind eye so they can cash in their 5 minutes of fame or so they can get pictures early because they’re too impatient to wait. This is so toxic.

15 minutes ago, J4ck said:

I’m sick of people turning a blind eye so they can cash in their 5 minutes of fame or so they can get pictures early because they’re too impatient to wait. This is so toxic.

So what is it, jealousy? Or do you feel like a good little soldier by reporting people?