Fenghuang0296

The Lego Movie 2 - The Second Part 2019 Set Discussion

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Am I the only one to appreciate the Star Fighter set? It’s got a cool colour scheme, a neat build and every single character in that set has a new face print, including the stars :sweet: Plus the aforementioned hairpiece recolour :thumbup:

I actually quite like the set as well, but I think 50 euro is just too much. Ignoring the piece count and just looking at what you get I wouldn't want to pay anything over 40. 

Well, actually.... even when you do take the piece count in mind this shouldn't be over 40 euro

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Am I the only one to appreciate the Star Fighter set? It’s got a cool colour scheme, a neat build and every single character in that set has a new face print, including the stars :sweet: Plus the aforementioned hairpiece recolour :thumbup:

Agreed, both the color scheme and shaping of the craft are pretty darn cool, as it's very much a worthy complementary follow-up to Mayhem's personal starship; but, in regards to the former, this Wyld-Mayhem Starfighter could've had Trans-Pink canopies instead to match... :sceptic:

3 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Agreed, both the color scheme and shaping of the craft are pretty darn cool, as it's very much a worthy complementary follow-up to Mayhem's personal starship; but, in regards to the former, this Wyld-Mayhem Starfighter could've had Trans-Pink canopies instead to match... :sceptic:

The recolors would be nice, but that wouldn't work half as well for its context in the movie itself, since the scene in question features dialogue between the pilots that works best visually when both are clearly visible inside their respective cockpits.

I dunno, there were conversations in Mayhem's spaceship and she had a pink windscreen. And I've seen the movie twice and don't even remember this spaceship so the scene couldn't have been that important. What is it, a few seconds long?

Honestly the trans light blue windscreens are the worst thing about the set. It's why I'm not getting it. Colored windscreens are treasured pieces for non-City theme sets. We can get all the boring trans light blue we want from City. 

45 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

The recolors would be nice, but that wouldn't work half as well for its context in the movie itself, since the scene in question features dialogue between the pilots that works best visually when both are clearly visible inside their respective cockpits.

I suppose, but to me, it's still a missed opportunity in those regards. :look:

7 minutes ago, danth said:

Colored windscreens are treasured pieces for non-City theme sets. We can get all the boring trans light blue we want from City. 

Exactly... :sad:

9 minutes ago, danth said:

I dunno, there were conversations in Mayhem's spaceship and she had a pink windscreen. And I've seen the movie twice and don't even remember this spaceship so the scene couldn't have been that important. What is it, a few seconds long?

Honestly the trans light blue windscreens are the worst thing about the set. It's why I'm not getting it. Colored windscreens are treasured pieces for non-City theme sets. We can get all the boring trans light blue we want from City. 

Those conversations in Sweet Mayhem's ship had a significant difference, though—they were conversations between characters in the SAME cockpit (and thus could use interior-only shots), not between characters in two different ones (which need exterior shots to contextualize the relative positions of the speakers). A less tinted color also helps both characters to be recognizable from outside, which both helps with the contextualization and narratively works better than the cockpit of the Systar Starship, which like Sweet Mayhem's mask from earlier in the movie serves to hide and obscure its occupants. Having the characters visible from outside also helps since the scene in question introduces a BUNCH of different, never-before-seen ships shared by multiple occupants, and thanks to the short length that you acknowledge there's not a lot of time to establish which characters are sharing which ships. All this is to say that since that scene is the only one with this ship in the first place, the ship's design has to stem from the role it plays in such a brief and frenetic action scene. Otherwise, I doubt we'd be getting it in a set in the first place.

Also, sort of a tangent on the subject of Trans. Light Blue windscreens being common in City sets, while these particular ones aren't new I might as well mention that the 4x4 and 8x8 ones in the Space Palace are new to that set—something I only noticed due to having used them in a concept for an Elves mermaid castle MOC. Even for a common color like Trans. Light Blue you'd often be surprised how often only a Trans. Clear or Trans. Black alternative exists—and while those are all colors that can work for a theme like City, sometimes for sci-fi or fantasy subjects that bluish tint makes a world of difference.

Actually, come to think of it, I wonder if the Trans. Light Blue was chosen for this set to imply that it could have been realistically rebuilt from the wreckage of the Space Palace? A lot of the parts in the set seem to call to mind that set's color scheme, and considering this ship being rebuilt fro the wreckage caused by Armamageddon, I could see how it might have been designed to reference the other existing models...

5 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I think that ship is rad, and I'm surely picking one up!

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Actually, come to think of it, I wonder if the Trans. Light Blue was chosen for this set to imply that it could have been realistically rebuilt from the wreckage of the Space Palace? A lot of the parts in the set seem to call to mind that set's color scheme, and considering this ship being rebuilt fro the wreckage caused by Armamageddon, I could see how it might have been designed to reference the other existing models...

Don't forget, those stickered fins on the ends of the wings are identical to the Systar Spaceship. So at least some of the parts from Mayhem's old ship are necessarily part of it. 

But it's a gorgeous set all the same. I plan to get at least three and start building up a Systar Fleet. If this wave follows the trend set by the first two of getting significantly discounted after only a short while on shelves (I've seen Big W selling the Party Bus for less than 60% of RRP, so when I have some spare cash I'm getting it) them it should be simple enough.

Oh, I just noticed something on the box art of the Wyld Mayhem Fighter. It's actually a bomber! The central cockpit area, where the pictures show you loading in Stars, has a function that drops the Stars out below. It's awesome!

12 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Oh, I just noticed something on the box art of the Wyld Mayhem Fighter. It's actually a bomber! The central cockpit area, where the pictures show you loading in Stars, has a function that drops the Stars out below. It's awesome!

Yep, I think Lyi brought that up on the previous page as well. While this function would be neat on its own, I also think it's pretty neat that the "disk shooting" function and the bomb dropping function seemingly utilize the same trigger, and which function gets activated depends on whether you push or pull the trigger. Pretty creative if you ask me!

On 6/20/2019 at 3:07 PM, Guyon2002 said:

I actually quite like the set as well, but I think 50 euro is just too much. Ignoring the piece count and just looking at what you get I wouldn't want to pay anything over 40. 

Well, actually.... even when you do take the piece count in mind this shouldn't be over 40 euro

It's definitely a high price per piece, but I think that it's probably similar to the Systar Starship in how much of that is on account of the sheer number of large pieces.

I’m digging all of these sets! The second wave didn’t impress me too much, but I am tempted to get all of these. The Metalbeard set is the best, and it will be my first Benny minifigure. I like the Wyld Mayhem Fighter looks cool, and I like all the exclusive minifigures. Do these come out in August?

7 hours ago, Henry Bricklider said:

I’m digging all of these sets! The second wave didn’t impress me too much, but I am tempted to get all of these. The Metalbeard set is the best, and it will be my first Benny minifigure. I like the Wyld Mayhem Fighter looks cool, and I like all the exclusive minifigures. Do these come out in August?

Late July / Early August

21 hours ago, Henry Bricklider said:

The second wave didn’t impress me too much, 

Really, eh? I quite enjoyed it. Even the spa, which I was indifferent to initially, surprised me with how much I liked the build after all. The effect of the layered trans panels over pastel bricks is rather striking, and the included hoard of characters was really nice to see. The Space Castle was one I'd been hoping to see from the moment I saw the film, and they did a fantastic job scaling it down for a retail set. I actually find it much nicer than the on set prop, imho. It looks smoother and more refined. It's one of my favorite sets in the theme, tbh. The Rexcelsior was surprisingly a near exact replica of what was seen on screen. It's large and bulky, but it delivers on everything you ever expected. I was stoked when they first revealed it back in February, as I never expected them to produce it as a set (I figured it would be a vignette build of a section of the bridge, at best). Of the four it was def the most fun to build! The Couch Mech is probably my least favorite of the four, but even it has it's charm. The Unikitty build was fun to see, for sure. It's still far better than some of the filler product in the first wave (70821 and 70832 are rubbish, even taking into consideration thier target age range), but not quite as impressive as stuff like Ultrakatty or the Rexplorer at the same price point in the first wave.

But, yeah, this next wave is perfect. All three sets have a unique and interesting offering. I can't wait to get them! :D

On 6/21/2019 at 9:26 AM, Feng-huang0296 said:

I've seen Big W selling the Party Bus for less than 60% of RRP, so when I have some spare cash I'm getting it.

Okay, so I finally got around to getting the Party Bus, right out of the box and I'm not happy. The big purple windscreen is covered in grime and crap and a couple of scratches right out of the box. This is the sort of wear I'd expect to see after months of play or years of display, not brand new. Has anyone else had this problem? What's the best way to clean the part? Possibly parts if the other trans purple elements follow suit. I have half a mind to request a replacement. 

7 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Okay, so I finally got around to getting the Party Bus, right out of the box and I'm not happy. The big purple windscreen is covered in grime and crap and a couple of scratches right out of the box. This is the sort of wear I'd expect to see after months of play or years of display, not brand new. Has anyone else had this problem? What's the best way to clean the part? Possibly parts if the other trans purple elements follow suit. I have half a mind to request a replacement. 

If it's as bad as you say I'd absolutely request a replacement. Maybe send a picture of the part to Lego along with the request.

Here. I don't have a great camera so you can't see all of the grime in the picture, but I assure you what you can see is the tip of the iceberg. 

https://imgur.com/LKqH3Nd

I'm hesitant to blame Lego for this, because it seems to me that the box might have been on the shelf for a while and the crap got in through the cracks - but then they should have packaged the part in a plastic bag rather than letting it be loose. So they're not blameless either. 

5 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Here. I don't have a great camera so you can't see all of the grime in the picture, but I assure you what you can see is the tip of the iceberg. 

I'm hesitant to blame Lego for this, because it seems to me that the box might have been on the shelf for a while and the crap got in through the cracks - but then they should have packaged the part in a plastic bag rather than letting it be loose. So they're not blameless either. 

That doesn't look good so I would request a new one, lego is never difficult when it comes to replacement parts. You can say all you want about lego but they're customerservice is on point so go for it

On 6/24/2019 at 11:32 AM, Feng-huang0296 said:

I'm sure Lego has had many complaints about this set as I agree that the purple windscreen should've been placed in a sealed bag on its own since mine also had more scratches than a brand new part should have...

On 6/20/2019 at 2:04 PM, Lyichir said:

they were conversations between characters in the SAME cockpit (and thus could use interior-only shots)

So what? They could have zoomed into the tandem cockpits.

It doesn't really matter why they made the canopies trans light blue though. Trans light blue is still boring and makes the set worse.

Edited by danth

1 hour ago, danth said:

So what? They could have zoomed into the tandem cockpits.

It doesn't really matter why they made the canopies trans light blue though. Trans light blue is still boring and makes the set worse.

Zooming into the cockpits would decontextualize the characters from one another more, since both wouldn't be visible in the same scene.

And personally, I love recolors... but I also don't see the reuse of an existing color as worth complaining about, honestly. The set looks good even with Trans. Light Blue, and if I wanted to complain about what kinds of new parts COULD have been featured in a set then I could complain about literally any set for that reason, just because no set is going to feature every new part I want. Unless there's a compelling reason why a set should have included a certain part (for accuracy or whatever), I don't see any reason to wish parts were arbitrarily a different color.

After getting all of the TLM2 sets that I was wanting, I decided  to try my hand at a custom build for a set that featured in the movie. So I decided to make this cool build that is inspired by the live action prop from Bianca's room in the Lego Movie 2, that is also on display at the Lego House in Denmark..
Unfortunately I had to substitute a few parts as they weren't available in the colours used on the movie prop, however still happy with the final result :-)

48125594261_b5548bc606_z.jpgUnikitty Unikingdom Palace1 by Nath D, on Flickr

48125625093_b26f0024b4_z.jpgUnikitty Unikingdom Palace2 by Nath D, on Flickr

11 minutes ago, NDLG80 said:

After getting all of the TLM2 sets that I was wanting, I decided  to try my hand at a custom build for a set that featured in the movie. So I decided to make this cool build that is inspired by the live action prop from Bianca's room in the Lego Movie 2, that is also on display at the Lego House in Denmark..
Unfortunately I had to substitute a few parts as they weren't available in the colours used on the movie prop, however still happy with the final result :-)

THAT. IS. INCREDIBLE!!!

Please tell me you can share instructions or a part list. I NEED that.

19 hours ago, Lyichir said:

And personally, I love recolors... but I also don't see the reuse of an existing color as worth complaining about, honestly. The set looks good even with Trans. Light Blue, and if I wanted to complain about what kinds of new parts COULD have been featured in a set then I could complain about literally any set for that reason, just because no set is going to feature every new part I want. Unless there's a compelling reason why a set should have included a certain part (for accuracy or whatever), I don't see any reason to wish parts were arbitrarily a different color.

You must be really popular, policing people's opinions all the time, especially with weird nihilistic arguments like "if I actually cared about stuff, I could complain about anything".

Trans light blue is boring, actual colors are cool, sorry you can't comprehend that simple fact.