Fenghuang0296

The Lego Movie 2 - The Second Part 2019 Set Discussion

Anyone else having trouble finding the second wave of sets?  I still have yet to see them at retail anywhere (don't have a lego store within a few hundred miles...)

1 hour ago, toastergrl said:

As he's strongly hinting, a set containing the Disco Benny minifig design is definitely still coming at this stage, which suggests to me that we're at least going to see the third wave this year and yalls've been panicing over nothing. :P

But... but ... but ... what else are grown men* supposed to do on the internet?!

*deliberate gender specification based on observation and experience on such threads. 

1 hour ago, toastergrl said:

Found this tweet the other day after all the hubbub about sets being cancelled...

Tweet from Matthew Ashton, Design VP at LEGO and Executive Producer on TLM1/2

As he's strongly hinting, a set containing the Disco Benny minifig design is definitely still coming at this stage, which suggests to me that we're at least going to see the third wave this year and yalls've been panicing over nothing. :P

Let's hope!

5 hours ago, sithewok said:

Anyone else having trouble finding the second wave of sets?  I still have yet to see them at retail anywhere (don't have a lego store within a few hundred miles...)

The Sparkle Spa and Couch Mech have both turned up at my local Kmart. No sign of the Space Palace yet, though, which is a shame because that's the one I want most. I'm largely uninterested in the Couch Mech, and undecided on the Sparkle Spa. I'll probably wait until we see a third wave before making a call one one way or another on the Spa; the main draw is exclusive Balthazar, so if he comes in another set down the line, like Benny's Crystal Spaceship, then the Spa suddenly becomes a bit redundant. 

I had to ask a Target employee (St. Louis, MO) to go to the back, employees only-area of the store to get a castle for me... that's how I got mine. Since LEGO is selling them, it should be fair game.

I've bought each of the 4 sets at different stores over the past 3 weeks. 2 WalMarts and 2 Targets. None of the WalMarts have had the Couch Mech.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:01 AM, Pchan1983 said:

Decided to pass on the Rexelciors set.  Not really a fan of micro scale build.  But I do want the 2 exclusive figures.  Anyone know if anyone on brinklink is selling it yet?

Despite it being micro build, something I’m not really a fan of either, it’s a great looking ship & fun build, once you get the skeleton built. I recommend grabbing it. Although, now I’m wishing all those parts came in pearl gold so I could build a wearable Infinity Gauntlet...:laugh:

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

Despite it being micro build, something I’m not really a fan of either, it’s a great looking ship & fun build, once you get the skeleton built. I recommend grabbing it. Although, now I’m wishing all those parts came in pearl gold so I could build a wearable Infinity Gauntlet.

But the price though ... :laugh_hard: Yes I have the same thought about an Infinity Gaunlet.  You can also build the other version if you know what I mean =P

On 5/11/2019 at 7:14 AM, obsidianheart said:

Hope the three remaining sets are from the final space-battle, if they aren't cancelled.

They may appear next year( but this is not accurate).

On 5/11/2019 at 12:14 AM, obsidianheart said:

Hope the three remaining sets are from the final space-battle, if they aren't cancelled.

I'd really like Benny and Balthazar's ship as a set, but I wouldn't want all three sets to be from the final battle. I'd also like to see one based on the wedding - hopefully including Musical Makeover MetalBeard!

2 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I'd really like Benny and Balthazar's ship as a set, but I wouldn't want all three sets to be from the final battle. I'd also like to see one based on the wedding - hopefully including Musical Makeover MetalBeard!

See, I really want that Metalbeard, too. But I was watching that scene with my kid the other day, and there's just a lot of really cool stuff thrown in to it. Rex-Wings, Benny & Balthazar's Crystal ship, the tandem ship Lucy & Mayhem have, the WatevraBat, UltraUniKitty's flightmode... It's all pretty good.

What about the fabuland workers from the movie- it would sell sort of like how benny’s space squad did. Also I would love to see the cake! For the third could it be another small one. We are missing the perfect houses 

figures that I thought we missed would be that makeover benny and metalbeard, fabuland workers, glitter superheroes, Denny (red spaceman that appeared in the video game) etc there are many

all speculation of course

13 hours ago, legocruncher said:

What about the fabuland workers from the movie- it would sell sort of like how benny’s space squad did. Also I would love to see the cake! For the third could it be another small one. We are missing the perfect houses 

figures that I thought we missed would be that makeover benny and metalbeard, fabuland workers, glitter superheroes, Denny (red spaceman that appeared in the video game) etc there are many

all speculation of course

I don't know if the Fabuland workers have the same business case as Benny's Space Squad, especially as a standalone set. Even if they used standard minifig torsos and legs, they'd need multiple new head molds (as opposed to the singular helmet mold for Benny's Space Squad). And Fabuland, while nostalgic for some, doesn't have quite the same broad appeal as Classic Space (especially in America where it never took off the way it did in Europe). That's also reflected in it being a much less popular subject for MOCs in the AFOL community—far fewer Fabuland layouts seem to show up at conventions than Classic Space or Neo Classic Space.

That's not to say I'd rule out a Fabuland fig or two appearing (especially, if as mentioned above, they compromised with standard minifig parts instead of the long-retired Fabuland figs), but if they did I'd sooner expect them as "extras" in a set of the Space Temple than as the primary focus of a nostalgia-centric set like Benny's Space Squad.

I really don't think they'll make a cake set at this point. All of the notable features of the Space Temple were incorporated into the castle set, including the dining room, the security room, and even Batman's wedding outfit. I think they just kind of mashed the two locales together for the toyline, which totally works tbh. Other than the Queen's throne room, the castle really had no notable interior in the film. This way we got the stunning exterior of the castle and the kids get all of the fun playset friendly bits of the cake/temple. 

That said, they absolutely need to release Benny and Metalbeard in thier wedding gear! I don't care what else is in the set(s), but I need those two figures! 

I think maybe the best approach to a wedding set would be something akin to The Justice League Anniversary Party - largely a character pack with just enough of a build to suggest the setting.

11 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I think maybe the best approach to a wedding set would be something akin to The Justice League Anniversary Party - largely a character pack with just enough of a build to suggest the setting.

But, who would be in it? We already have most of the wedding party. I don't see Justice Ginsburg nor Marie Curie being included in a retail set. We already have Chocolate Bar, Disco Kitty, Batman, Lucy, Stubble Emmett, Mayhem, Barnarnar, and Tin Man. Watevra's bridal look would be a nice touch, but it's not too hard to manage already with her builder box and just a few extra parts. 

It's really only Metalbeard and Benny that are still missing from that scene. Unless they included people from the stands? That could be fun too. We haven't seen any of the generic pastel torsos worn by the people in the town. A few of those could be fun? I'd liks to see sparkly Aquaman too! And a couple more mini dolls. For all of the kvetching about them when the first wave debuted there have only been 11 mini dolls included in the theme, six of whom are just variants of Mayhem. There were definitely more mini dolls running around on screen. 

57 minutes ago, klinton said:

But, who would be in it? We already have most of the wedding party. I don't see Justice Ginsburg nor Marie Curie being included in a retail set. We already have Chocolate Bar, Disco Kitty, Batman, Lucy, Stubble Emmett, Mayhem, Barnarnar, and Tin Man. Watevra's bridal look would be a nice touch, but it's not too hard to manage already with her builder box and just a few extra parts. 

It's really only Metalbeard and Benny that are still missing from that scene. Unless they included people from the stands? That could be fun too. We haven't seen any of the generic pastel torsos worn by the people in the town. A few of those could be fun? I'd liks to see sparkly Aquaman too! And a couple more mini dolls. For all of the kvetching about them when the first wave debuted there have only been 11 mini dolls included in the theme, six of whom are just variants of Mayhem. There were definitely more mini dolls running around on screen. 

I want to see a Fox Suit Girl still. But yeah, Wedding Benny and Metalbeard are basically the only major things we haven't got from the movie yet. And they could easily still do a Crystal Spaceship for Benny and just include Metalbeard, or make Metalbeard as a small set the same size as the Apocalypseburg Batman or Introducing Queen Whatevra. 

29 minutes ago, klinton said:

Yeah, people from the stands was what I was thinking - could be our opportunity to get a Fabuland character (though it would likely be translated into a standard minifig with molded head or headgear) and another unique minidoll. And wasn't there confirmation already that Justice Ginsburg would be made into an actual minifig too?

46 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I want to see a Fox Suit Girl still. But yeah, Wedding Benny and Metalbeard are basically the only major things we haven't got from the movie yet. And they could easily still do a Crystal Spaceship for Benny and just include Metalbeard, or make Metalbeard as a small set the same size as the Apocalypseburg Batman or Introducing Queen Whatevra. 

If we're talking from across the entire film, and no longer focused on the cake, I really want t see Larry Poppins, Bruce Willis, and the third vampire guy show up! And, yeah, anything from the final battle scene would be most welcome! I would kill to see them release Metalbeard and Ice Cream Cone's ship as a set! 

36 minutes ago, tafkatb said:

Yeah, people from the stands was what I was thinking - could be our opportunity to get a Fabuland character (though it would likely be translated into a standard minifig with molded head or headgear) and another unique minidoll. And wasn't there confirmation already that Justice Ginsburg would be made into an actual minifig too?

They don't really need to do Fabuland characters, imho. Those already exist. You can purchase them if you desire. I'd much rather see them do new things that aren't already out in the world. 

I think the thing with Justice Ginsburg migh have been a misconception? It was a random one off comment from someone tied to the film production amidst the early hype around the film, and not really a firm statement by Lego that a physical product was in the works. If she does see release, I'd imagine she'll be a convention give away if anything. I'd imagine profiting off of her likeness via a retail set might be off the table? Or not. I'm making assumptions here. 

Just now, klinton said:

They don't really need to do Fabuland characters, imho. Those already exist. You can purchase them if you desire. I'd much rather see them do new things that aren't already out in the world. 

Yeah, I'm not exactly clamoring for them, I just see it as a possibility. Johnny Thunder already existed too (and had been produced far more recently), but we saw how nuts some corners of the fandom went when he turned up in a set from the first movie.

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

A catalog shot of "the other three sets" has just leaked over on IG... :oh:

They look great, love the spaceship. Glad disco Benny and Metalbeard are coming and a cheap way to get disco Unikitty. The smallest set is what from the end of the movie right? Regardless the fact they could put 2 figures, 2 babies, and a star along with a build in a $10? set shows how the sewer babies set from earlier was overpriced. for what it is 

Man, I feel like that small set is kind of a wasted opportunity to do President Business's golf cart.

Super excited for "My leg is a piano" Metalbeard, though.