Fenghuang0296

The Lego Movie 2 - The Second Part 2019 Set Discussion

That’s interesting, have they ever publicly announced a new set during London Toy Fair? Nice change of pace, if so :thumbup: 

The set itself looks fantastic, but I’m a bit miffed about the lack of minifigs for a set this size :hmpf_bad: Sure, from what we know, Emmet, Rex and his raptors are all alone during their scenes, but a fully-grown raptor or two would’ve been nice. I assume the olive green ones show up in other sets then. We don’t know yet how many there are, right?

Love the Pew Pew sound effects added to the box - if only they’d added a Swosh as well...

Microfigures & baby dinos make sense as the ship obviously isn’t minifig scale.

34 minutes ago, TeufelHund said:

Microfigures & baby dinos make sense as the ship obviously isn’t minifig scale.

It's funny, but I've never thought of the baby raptor mold as an approximately-scaled companion to the trophy microfigure before. :thumbup:

The fact the we are getting 3 Rex ships/vehicles so early on makes me think those Raptors with decent size built up wings seen in a lot of promo stuff will be in a future set, along with more of Rex's fleet. I really like this set makes since its not minifigure scale given its size and those microfigs are neat and of course they put Emmet with that face print in a large set lol any word on price? 

1 minute ago, Nexogeek said:

I really like this set makes since its not minifigure scale given its size and those microfigs are neat and of course they put Emmet with that face print in a large set lol any word on price? 

As far as price goes...

The Rexcelsior has been revealed for the first time at London Toy Fair in a global exclusive and will officially launch in summer 2019 for a RRP of £139.99.

So, that's roughly $180 in the US at least.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Just now, Nexogeek said:

The fact the we are getting 3 Rex ships/vehicles so early on makes me think those Raptors with decent size built up wings seen in a lot of promo stuff will be in a future set, along with more of Rex's fleet. I really like this set makes since its not minifigure scale given its size and those microfigs are neat and of course they put Emmet with that face print in a large set lol any word on price? 

I think Rex sets are coming so early because Star Wars IX is coming later this year. So they are releasing the LEGO Movie 2 spaceships now

According to the press release info the ship has a micro interior.

The Rexcelsior is a pretty bad set in my opinion.

- only 2 figures (which are barely exclusive)

- minibuilds that aren't even to scale

- presumably very limited interior because of the whole dumb 'put your arm in it' function

It does look good from a distance, but they'll to put this on major clearance for me to be interested

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

The Rexcelsior is a pretty bad set in my opinion.

- only 2 figures (which are barely exclusive)

- minibuilds that aren't even to scale

- presumably very limited interior because of the whole dumb 'put your arm in it' function

It does look good from a distance, but they'll to put this on major clearance for me to be interested

I can't imagine the space to put your arm in would have otherwise been usable for an interior anyway, considering that space is in the core of the build, well-removed from any surfaces that could be removed or opened to allow access. This thing is big, and from the looks of it there's plenty of room on the sides for a microscale interior (certainly enough of one to display the nanofigures).

Oh no. Ship looks good as far as exterior goes, but tha whole microscale interiors/'put your arm in it' function are such disappointment :/ Shame on you TLG

31 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Oh no. Ship looks good as far as exterior goes, but tha whole microscale interiors/'put your arm in it' function are such disappointment :/ Shame on you TLG

Well, looking at the box art, I think one's hand is only supposed to slip into the back half of the ship rather than the whole length:

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part The Rexcelsior! (70839)

• Exterior of the ship looks alright
  • Random light blue segments?
  • The mini builds are too large though and not remotely in-scale
  • Engine segments seem fragile, only attached via a technic pin
  • Figure selection sucks, the five micro Raptors sort of makes up for it a bit, but you can get those cheap via Bricklink
  • Lack of microfigures for the rest of the cast makes collecting an Emmett and Rex microfig kind of pointless
  • Set itself is for ages 10+ while the ship designates itself as being a 16+ set (In universe) via a sticker so the implication is that this should have been a much larger set similar to the Star Wars UCS sets.

Would have preferred if they scrapped 70835 and used the budget to improve the Rexcelsior, either making it slightly larger or at least providing us with a full cast of microfigures. Main concern is the structual support, especially given you are meant to hold the entire thing from the back lever.

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, looking at the box art, I think one's hand is only supposed to slip into the back half of the ship rather than the whole length

They are not actually wearing it, they are holding it via the lever that we see being used as a stand in one of the pictures while supporting the rest of the weight using the right arm/hand. The picture is misleading but you can see the users knuckle of the pinky finger at the very bottom back of the ship.

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Yo can use the whole set as a gauntlet *oh2*

I think Lego should re-release this set with a bunch of microfigure Avengers, a larger focus on display and removing the shooting function while recolouring the set gold - giving us an Infinity Gauntlet :laugh:

Yeah, I don’t think your hand goes inside the ship, you just hold it like a gun....a fist gun. I think the set looks great, and the function may be more fun, even for adults, than some are giving it credit for. The lack of minifigs is a bit disappointing for a set this size, but the amount of raptors is making up for it. 

Aww, noooooo. I was so looking forward to a minifigure-scale Rexcelsior. First the Hogwarts D2C and now this - is there some appeal to microfig builds that I just don't understand? I hope this doesn't become a trend. 

Grumble grumble. Gonna have to pass on this; not because I don't want it but because microfig stuff won't work in my minifig layout. So disappointing . . .

10 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Aww, noooooo. I was so looking forward to a minifigure-scale Rexcelsior. First the Hogwarts D2C and now this - is there some appeal to microfig builds that I just don't understand? I hope this doesn't become a trend. 

Grumble grumble. Gonna have to pass on this; not because I don't want it but because microfig stuff won't work in my minifig layout. So disappointing . . .

Wait a second, did you really expect LEGO to release a minifigure-scale Rexcelsior?! I think it was pretty obvious from the trailer this set would be microscale IF they would make a set out of it

2 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Wait a second, did you really expect LEGO to release a minifigure-scale Rexcelsior?! I think it was pretty obvious from the trailer this set would be microscale IF they would make a set out of it

Good point. For reference, see those microscale ships? Two of those are Emmet's Rescue Rocket and Rex's Rexplorer. The Rexcelsior is supposed to be HUGE, basically a mothership for Rex's entire fleet.

Even with nanofigures proportion, the set needed to be a little bit bigger. 

The rocket house microbuild doesn't work for the Emmet nanofigure. It's too small. It would have been nicer if you could actually put the nanofigure inside the ship

Also the set has a bro-fist shape and it says "Pew" "Pew" on the box..... that can't be a coincidence, right? It has to be a reference to.... someone

16 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Well, I obviously didn't expect a screen-accurate Rexcelsior. In the same way no one expected a screen-accurate Sea Cow, or screen-accurate versions of the Ninja Mechs from the Ninjago Movie, or a screen-accurate Batcave . . I could go on. I expected a shrunken-down version of the Rexcelsior that could still fit minifigures. Y'now, what they normally do in situations like this. Maybe one large control room with enough room for Emmet, Rex and a raptor, and a separate section that contained a bay for a smaller craft, perhaps a shrunken down version of the Rexplorer, or some other Rex-craft. Not . . this. 

6 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Well, I obviously didn't expect a screen-accurate Rexcelsior. In the same way no one expected a screen-accurate Sea Cow, or screen-accurate versions of the Ninja Mechs from the Ninjago Movie, or a screen-accurate Batcave . . I could go on. I expected a shrunken-down version of the Rexcelsior that could still fit minifigures. Y'now, what they normally do in situations like this. Maybe one large control room with enough room for Emmet, Rex and a raptor, and a separate section that contained a bay for a smaller craft, perhaps a shrunken down version of the Rexplorer, or some other Rex-craft. Not . . this. 

That would've been so much better

On 1/20/2019 at 4:08 PM, Robert8 said:

New trailer shows Fox Suit Guy!!!

There have been a LOT of trailers for this movie.

I don't normally watch movies this close. Is this normal now?

That would be bigger than the Hogwarts castle

The Rocket House is a 706 pieces set and compared to the Rexcelsior is a 2x2 brick

Heck, a miniifgure scale Rexcelsior would be like 3 times bigger than the Millenium Falcon

5 minutes ago, Sarah said:

There have been a LOT of trailers for this movie.

I don't normally watch movies this close. Is this normal now?

That's something that started a few years ago and is done by almost every studio. They upload so many different trailers with different footage that (if you want to put in the effort) you could edit them together in chronological order and get about 75% of the movie