Fenghuang0296

The Lego Movie 2 - The Second Part 2019 Set Discussion

See, I was thinking about this the other day, and I can't remember: Did we find out that Abe Lincoln and Shakespeare were going to be in the first LEGO Movie through the CMFs, or one of the trailers? Like, there will probably be whole sub-plot characters who are only briefly in the movie in the CMF line, but so far we only know about the main characters of the story (who are all in the sets), the Apocalypseburg townspeople (likely for some of the CMFs, but if the D2C set is actually Apocalypseburg, they'll probably be in that), and whatever that group that Superman and Giraffe Costume Guy are part of (I'm guessing is the primary setting of the Rex/Emmet story).

Just now, obsidianheart said:

See, I was thinking about this the other day, and I can't remember: Did we find out that Abe Lincoln and Shakespeare were going to be in the first LEGO Movie through the CMFs, or one of the trailers? 

We saw them in a trailer, then the first CMF pics were out

On 11/25/2018 at 10:23 AM, J4ck said:

@Digger of Bricks I need your expert opinion please. Is 70834 (MetalBeard’s Motor trike) classed as Diesel Punk? Pirate Punk? Maybe even Steam Punk? 

Totally dieselpunk IMHO.

As a rule of the thumb, if it looks like it'd fit in the Fallout series, it's dieselpunk. But by extension, even though it's not the 50's look, Mad Max is Dieselpunk as well. And thus these new sets as well, since they're pretty much Mad Max for kids.

I gotta say I'm really impressed with the sets they're releasing with this movie:  The first LEGO movie's sets were all pretty "meh" to me, with the single stand-out exception being Benny's Spaceship (which of course was the one set from that series I actually got).  This time around there are at least 4-5 sets I would really like to get, and not all of them are Benny/Classic Space related:  Yes, I do want both Benny & Emmet's Build & Fix as well as Benny's Space Squad, but I also want Metalbeard's Heavy Metal Trike for modding into an Orcish (Well Ork, since it's going to be based on Warhammer 40K) heavy Warbike, Gen. Mayhem's Systar Ship, Introducing Queen Whatevra Wa'Nabi (mainly for the figs) and possibly Rex's Rexplorer, money willing.

3 hours ago, anothergol said:

Totally dieselpunk IMHO.

As a rule of the thumb, if it looks like it'd fit in the Fallout series, it's dieselpunk. But by extension, even though it's not the 50's look, Mad Max is Dieselpunk as well. And thus these new sets as well, since they're pretty much Mad Max for kids.

Thanks! This helps so much, I’ll remember this.

2 minutes ago, Laura Takayama said:

I gotta say I'm really impressed with the sets they're releasing with this movie:  The first LEGO movie's sets were all pretty "meh" to me, with the single stand-out exception being Benny's Spaceship (which of course was the one set from that series I actually got).  This time around there are at least 4-5 sets I would really like to get, and not all of them are Benny/Classic Space related:  Yes, I do want both Benny & Emmet's Build & Fix as well as Benny's Space Squad, but I also want Metalbeard's Heavy Metal Trike for modding into an Orcish (Well Ork, since it's going to be based on Warhammer 40K) heavy Warbike, Gen. Mayhem's Systar Ship, Introducing Queen Whatevra Wa'Nabi (mainly for the figs) and possibly Rex's Rexplorer, money willing.

I’d have to disagree with you. The first Lego Movie was balanced between Batman, Pirates, Girl, Misc etc. This second Lego Movie has too much of Unikitty/girl themes. It’s not balanced like all things should be.

14 minutes ago, J4ck said:

I’d have to disagree with you. The first Lego Movie was balanced between Batman, Pirates, Girl, Misc etc. This second Lego Movie has too much of Unikitty/girl themes. It’s not balanced like all things should be.

And I'll have to disagree with you, because, aside from Benny's Spaceship and Metalbeard's Sea Cow, which I couldn't afford to get as well as the Spaceship, and one of my biggest regrets as a kid was never being able to afford one of those big o'l Classic Space sets, so I went with that, there was absolutely nothing from that line that interested me whatsoever.  I mean what else was in it?  Emmet's Construction mech was ok, but not my thing, and it was entirely made out of colors I rarely use, so it was a pass for me, the rest were things like the flying ice cream truck or the flying castle plane thing (which in retrospect was probably the evil harbinger of the Nexo Knights theme) & other stuff that had absolutely zero interest for me, and in most cases (the evil Nexo Knights precursor being the sole exception, since it at least had proper Crown Knights figures in it), the figures that came with the sets didn't appeal to me either.

This lineup, on the other hand, has a lot more of the stuff I like, like cool retro-style spaceships & post-apocalyptic vehicles (On a side note, they're not exactly Dieselpunk:  Dieselpunk is essentially retro-futurism based on 1920's-40's technology & science fiction:  Like how steampunk is based on the works of late 19th century science fiction authors such as HG Wells & Jules Verne, Dieselpunk is based on things like Flash Gordon, the Shadow, the first Tom Swift series, etc.  A perfect example of the dieselpunk genre would be the movie Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow, in fact, Sweet Mayhem's Systar Ship would fit nicely in the dieselpunk genre due to how it looks like it came straight out of Flash Gordon or the original 1930's Buck Rogers).  Heck, even the figures in this series have far more utility for my (generally post-apocalyptic dieselpunk) builds.

So it basically comes down to personal preference.  I like minidolls, space stuff & post-apocalyptic stuff, so this of course would appeal more to me than the rather bland (IMO) offerings from the last movie's sets.

4 hours ago, anothergol said:

Totally dieselpunk IMHO.

Sorry to be the nitpicking retrofuturist here once again, but Fallout falls more into the designation of Post-Apocalyptic Atompunk. Mad Max, on the other hand, doesn't look like World War II was the turning point in its alternate timeline, but rather near the end of the Cold War when the first film was made.

4 minutes ago, Laura Takayama said:

This lineup, on the other hand, has a lot more of the stuff I like, like cool retro-style spaceships & post-apocalyptic vehicles (On a side note, they're not exactly Dieselpunk:  Dieselpunk is essentially retro-futurism based on 1920's-40's technology & science fiction:  Like how steampunk is based on the works of late 19th century science fiction authors such as HG Wells & Jules Verne, Dieselpunk is based on things like Flash Gordon, the Shadow, the first Tom Swift series, etc.  A perfect example of the dieselpunk genre would be the movie Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow, in fact, Sweet Mayhem's Systar Ship would fit nicely in the dieselpunk genre due to how it looks like it came straight out of Flash Gordon or the original 1930's Buck Rogers).  Heck, even the figures in this series have far more utility for my (generally post-apocalyptic dieselpunk) builds.

^THIS^ :thumbup: :smug:

2 hours ago, J4ck said:

What girl themes did you remember from the original? Because the way I remember it those sorts of themes were notably absent from the original, with the debatable exception of the Cloud Cuckoo Palace. I would argue that the new movie has a much better balance BETWEEN "boyish" and "girlish" subject matter, as exemplified best by Rex Dangervest's vehicles and the Systar System vehicles respectively.

I know only 1 out of 20 minifigures from the upcoming series and I'm quite frustrated as this may be the only thing interesting me aside from the Benny's battlepack

1 hour ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

I know only 1 out of 20 minifigures from the upcoming series and I'm quite frustrated as this may be the only thing interesting me aside from the Benny's battlepack

You mean the Giraffe Suit Guy?

1 hour ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

It would be great if you were talking about another new color Spaceman.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:51 AM, Lyichir said:

These look awesome (the latter set especially). An open-ended set for what seems like a pretty open-ended character.

My daughter (7 years old) is going to love BOTH of these sets.  Too bad her birthday is not until August. I might encourage her to hold onto christmas money. The first for the wonderful alien character and the open ended princess (The princess who still needs a story written about her) and the second for making her own Queen forms.  This movie is the epitomy of how she plays with Legos (my son to a lesser extent as well.)  We really were sad when Mixels went away because it gave so many pieces for making our own characters.

I'm hoping they have some more Apocalypseburg characters in the CMF series, because my wasteland raiders faction has been sadly neglected for the past several years & needs some love (although I am in the process of making a custom Lord Humungus fig), but some more Classic Space figs would always be welcome. 

Also, since I brought up my wasteland raider factions, I'm probably going to also be adding the Escape Buggy to my "must buy" list, because if I'm going to have roving bands of Mad Max-style raiders in the wastes, they need rides, which they're sorely lacking right now, and this thing would be a GREAT starting point for making some wasteland raider vehicles (need to festoon it with spikes, guns & maybe some skulls & ragged banners).

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

New book leaked

This one has the Queen Whateverefksdfaskdjfgfsdg

Where do you see this? I expect my daughter to love this character so would like to take a look at the book. It's not on Amazon that I can find :(

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Sorry to be the nitpicking retrofuturist here once again, but Fallout falls more into the designation of Post-Apocalyptic Atompunk. Mad Max, on the other hand, doesn't look like World War II was the turning point in its alternate timeline, but rather near the end of the Cold War when the first film was made.

Dieselpunk doesn't require alternate timelines, it's just based on aesthetics. And it doesn't stop at the war, it goes up to the 50's. Well it's not me defining it, it's wikipedia.

Steampunk is victorian, & generally machines are full of rivets (which yes, tanks are as well), shiny, with lots of copper, & visible piping, & is mainly about steam engines obviously. Dieselpunk isn't about prototypes but vehicles (that onces have been) industrially produced, with concealed mechanics, and are often dirty & decaying.

And yeah it's WW2-related too. Wiki lists Wolfenstein as well. It also lists Rocketeer, but IMHO the Rocketeer guy is dressed like steampunk, and the story isn't "noir" like dieselpunk generally is. Steampunk is generally in a world where new technology is making the world better, while dieselpunk is dystopian. But yeah, sure dieselpunk can also be very WW2, like Metal Slug.

Edited by anothergol

5 hours ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

Who wants Benny himself, though? We only need 1 Benny, and we already all have at least one.. so I'm pretty sure that Bricklink will be filled with Benny's in the near future. Benny's head, torso & helmet are so specific that they can't even be recycled.

41 minutes ago, anothergol said:

Dieselpunk doesn't require alternate timelines, it's just based on aesthetics.

Yes, most people may treat retrofuturistic "punk" genres as mere style identities (and that's perfectly alright); but, at heart, it's supposed to be a alternate historical designation. 

51 minutes ago, anothergol said:

It also lists Rocketeer, but IMHO the Rocketeer guy is dressed like steampunk, and the story isn't "noir" like dieselpunk generally is.

Nah, that helmet of his in particular is so totally Decopunk (a more upbeat subset of Dieselpunk BTW). :wink:

55 minutes ago, anothergol said:

Steampunk is generally in a world where new technology is making the world better, while dieselpunk is dystopian.

Not always, as Dieselpunk's little sisters Decopunk and Raypunk can be (more often than not) as optimistic and forward-looking as Steampunk typically is. 

1 hour ago, anothergol said:

And it doesn't stop at the war, it goes up to the 50's. Well it's not me defining it, it's wikipedia.

Yet even according to Wikipedia, that's not agreed upon by everyone: Wikipedia - Dieselpunk (Dieselpunk Inspiration)

Dieselpunk draws its inspiration from two related sources: the diesel era and a characteristic referred to by dieselpunks as "decodence." According to the web site The Gatehouse, decodence (a portmanteau of "deco" and "decadence"), "embraces the styles and technologies of the era; it rejoices in a prolonged Jazz Age ambience characterized by great enthusiasm and hopes about the future."

The term "diesel era" is a period of time that begins with the start of the interbellum era, which covers the time between the end of World War I and the start of World War II. The interbellum era is central to one school of dieselpunk often labeled "Ottensian." In addition to the interbellum period, World War II also plays a major role in dieselpunk, especially in the school of the genre referred to as "Piecraftian." (See "Common themes found in dieselpunk fiction", below.) The exact ending of the diesel era is in some dispute in the dieselpunk community. Depending on the source it ends either at the conclusion of World War II or continues until the early part of the 1950s with the advent of such cultural icons as the Golden Age of Television and the replacement of Big Band and Swing music with Rock and Rollin popularity.

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Nah, that helmet of his in particular is so totally Decopunk

yeah I'd agree

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Not always, as Dieselpunk's little sisters Decopunk and Raypunk can be (more often than not) as optimistic and forward-looking as Steampunk typically is.  

I don't know, if I think decopunk I think Bioshock, not exactly optimistic.
On the same subject, you'll have to come up with a new punk for the upcoming "atomic heart". Soviet punk? Anyway the trailer is a-ma-zing.

35 minutes ago, anothergol said:

I don't know, if I think decopunk I think Bioshock, not exactly optimistic.

BioShock's kinda like Decopunk gone wrong, drunk on waaaay too much Ayn Rand. :distressed:

38 minutes ago, anothergol said:

On the same subject, you'll have to come up with a new punk for the upcoming "atomic heart". Soviet punk? Anyway the trailer is a-ma-zing.

First, yeah, I've heard such a term coined for USSR-centric Dieselpunk before. Second, that game may look hyper-good as far as graphics go; but, I just can help but scoff at so many videogames' over-to-top, comical gore, and that one was no exception. :hmpf:

1 hour ago, anothergol said:

Who wants Benny himself, though? We only need 1 Benny, and we already all have at least one.. so I'm pretty sure that Bricklink will be filled with Benny's in the near future. Benny's head, torso & helmet are so specific that they can't even be recycled.

Torso and helmet, maybe, but the head just has a classic smiley on one side, doesn't it? Don't see how that can't be recycled.

As for who wants Benny himself: kids (the people who will probably buy the greatest quantity of this set overall). Not having a main character in the set wouldn't be great for the set's sales potential outside of nostalgic AFOLs and completionists.

17 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

but the head just has a classic smiley on one side, doesn't it?

Nope, it has that cartoonish wide-mouth on both sides (one happy & one sad), a face that hardly fits in Lego's common face design.

17 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Not having a main character in the set wouldn't be great for the set's sales potential outside of nostalgic AFOLs and completionists.

Do kids even want that set anyway? They won't want it for Benny alone, and he's in 2 other sets, not counting the past & future ones.
But I'm not disagreeing that it would look odd, marketing-wise, to have a set with just classic spacemen.

Edited by anothergol