Sign in to follow this  
woody64

Creating a Shako Mold

The Ulhan shako looks amazing, have you contacted the consultant on how much each shako will cost (Estimated?).

Current estimation is 2-3 EUR/a piece + 20-25 EUR a printing run

The piece costs depend on the amount of ABS plastic used for the model.

Andreas

Edited by woody64

img_3436.jpgimg_3450.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all. :thumbup:

I'll just be honest and say that at first is didn't like the "square edged" shako and i'm more used to the "coned" lego version.

Then, i read more posts about the different types of shakos and wondered what type of shako the US marines wore exactly.

1812.jpg

And lookie there. Minus the plum, the US Marine shakos look very close to your version. :wub:

Great work woody! :grin:

I look forward to further prototypes.

And lookie there. Minus the plum, the US Marine shakos look very close to your version. :wub:

To me these shakos look like the original lego ones but not as high ... (or like a stove pipe shako)

I didn't mention that the drawing above describes the changes planned for the next steps.

- 1mm less hight

- bigger radius on the top

- pompon on the top

- the material can be manipulated with a file or sand paper

- The painting was done with warhammer colours

Andreas

Edited by woody64

Well, with pirates coming back in 09 with shakos, custom shakos don't seem necessary anymore. Though yours are beutiful, I personally won't be interested. Great work though! :thumbup:

Well, with pirates coming back in 09 with shakos, custom shakos don't seem necessary anymore. Though yours are beutiful, I personally won't be interested. Great work though! :thumbup:

Yes that's fine.

Nevertheless I will try to finish the principle technique and possible prices for this kind of work.

I've added a second object: a hussar kolpack. This one has a own design and is not based on a lego part.

http://shop.rapidobject.com/shop/de/products/view/420

I've also added an ulan which is not public yet.

I will get some test objects next week I hope. Then I will publish the photos.

With this design I'm able to nake any kind of shako we want ...

Not solved yet: The first impression was that prices beyond 5 EUR will be possible. But this couldn't be reached now.

Andreas

hussar-7.png_thumb.jpguhlan-1.png_thumb.jpg

Edited by woody64

You should see if it's possible to an old British cap - the kind Super Mario wears. There's a lot of practical uses for them, and they could also be used as a berret.

You should see if it's possible to an old British cap - the kind Super Mario wears. There's a lot of practical uses for them, and they could also be used as a berret.

Can you give me a reference picture.

I have seen those caps a lot in movies which are situated in the years 30-50, I think this is a nice reference picture (Super Mario's cap)

mario_luigi_hat_cushion_shop.jpg

And I like what you are doing here, I hope you can produce them for a relative low price.

Gallery of printed Items I:

3dprints.png

Gallery of items II:

newitems-front.jpg

and here's the last mold which shows also the original idea: a British style shako

it shows also some items usable for other scenes:

- barret

- mediavel cap

- shako 19th century

- periwig

img_3752.jpg

Andreas

Nice bayonets.

BTW it is spelled "beret" - and again, very nice piece.

Uuuuups I've used the German word ....

Edited by woody64

And for finishing the original idea of having a custom molded british shako here's a group scene.

img_3857.jpg

Edited by woody64

This entry is only for historical reasons, to show how the above described path has developed

Didn't read that for a very long time and even can't remember these very first attempts and fails but at the end now I'm able to upload a software generated pack of a subset of the below shown items in a 15x pack to Shapeways and you will be able to order that after some minutes of processing and configuring the shop parameters for buying (name, section, materials, pricing).

Not to mention is the design quality which has developed from some basic shapes to a full 3d blender design bench.

Woody64

51411222227_9fbbb823b3_z.jpg

Edited by woody64