Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[COR-PROJECT] The University of Tiberia

Type: Royal University

Corrington is well known for its appreciation of the sciences. So when Terra Nova was first colonized by the Crown, scholars and academics alike followed. It came as no surprise that the University of Tiberia was soon established in Arlinsport. While not as prestigious as some of the universities in the mainland, it has become a beacon of academic excellence nonetheless.

The university is centered around four main colleges:

Smythe College of Natural Sciences
Prometheus College of Alchemy and Applied Sciences
Zumbro College of Political Thought and Philosophy
LaCoursiere College of Fine Arts and Music

Together with some smaller colleges, these form the academic body of the University of Tiberia. Many of the finest thinkers, architects, explorers and artists in the New World have seen their stories begin here.

The University has a massive garden complex, a large football stadium, and 15 different halls of varying size. Several laboratories are on the campus, developing technologies ranging from fertilizers to explosives. There are 4 large residence halls, but there are several fraternity and sorority houses that are considered part of the university. Additionally, other University owned buildings are located throughout Arlinsport, instead of on main Campus.

The University has a soccer team, a rowing team, a math bowl team, and several other sports teams, and features a dozen clubs.

The universities colours are red and white, with a lion centered on the banner. While it has no official name, most students refer to it as Tibby the Tabby - the mascot of the university!

Banner

Description: Help us to build a royal university in the city of Arlinsport! The college is being built retroactively IC, so your builds can focus on an earlier part of your character's story. Were they a class clown? A teacher's pet? Take this opportunity to fill in some backstory for a character or characters, or show college students today, in 618!

Build Description: Builds should show any part of the college campus. This can include dormitories, fraternity/sorority houses, classrooms, gardens, offices, laboratories, or libraries. Your build must be of excellent quality, and low quality builds will not be accepted to the project. This will be decided upon by Corrish leadership. LDD is allowed, as well.

Style Guideline: The University of Arlinsport is constructed of red bricks, with white accents, similar to Harvard. However, interior scenes should not be considered held to these standards. Remember, a creative entry is more important than fitting the style of the project. However, several outbuildings exist throughout Arlinsport, and these do not have to fit the style guidelines.

Map guidelines: If you have a great idea for one building in particular, please post in this thread to reserve the building. Classrooms, Libraries, and other interior scenes, as well as garden scenes do not need to be reserved. Please name the hall you have selected, as well as the building number. If you change your mind about building, please announce so in the thread. 

39765115260_f76aab5d15_z.jpgUniversity of Tiberia by North White, on Flickr

1. Administrative and Faculty Hall
  2. Ceremonial Hall and Auditorium Maximum
  3. Main Library
  4. Hall of Engineering (Prometheus)
  5. Hall of Alchemy (Prometheus)
  6. Hall of Applied Science (Prometheus)
  7. Hall of Fine Arts (LaCoursiere)
  8. Hall of Music (LaCoursiere)
  9. Hall of Biology(Smythe)
  10. Hall of Mathematics (Smythe)
  11. Hall of Anthropology(Smythe)
  12. Clock Tower
  13. Hall of History (Zumbro)
  14. Hall of Politik (Zumbro)
  15. Hall of Philosophy
  16. The Great Gardens of Tiberia
  17. Carriage House
  18. Dormitories
  19. Dining Hall 
  20. Lesser gardens
  21. Fraternities and Sororities
  22. Groundskeeping
  23. Fieldhouse
  24. Queen’s Stadium

Payment: 
For Every 100 Studs contributed, 10 Dbs are to be awarded (rounded). Payment will be distributed when the project is finished. 

Rewards:
Building anything that is accepted gives you the right to say any and all of your characters have attended the University of Tiberia.

Building at least 250 approved studs gives you the right to say that any and all of your characters graduated from the University of Tiberia with Bachelor in any field.

Building at least 1000 approved studs grants you the right to say any and all of your characters have graduated from the University of Tiberia with Masters in any field.

Building at least 2000 approved studs  grants the right to say any and all of your characters have graduated from the University of Tiberia with Doctorate in any field.

The altogether best entry gets the title "Dean of the University of Tiberia" And rewards an additional 100 Dbs

The best entry by a foreigner gets the title: "Multicultural Diplomat" and rewards an additional 100 Dbs. Only to be awarded if 3 or more foreigners enter.

The most humorous entry in the challenge (as decided by leadership) earns the title "class clown" and awards 50 Dbs.

The Best Microbuild of the map gets an extra 100 Dbs

Entries are to be judged by Corrish Leadership upon the completion of the project. 

Goals:

10,000 Studs: The University is considered finished.

20,000 Studs: A holiday in Arlinsport to celebrate the anniversary of the University, and a raffle among the participants for a 200Db prize.

30,000 Studs: To Be Announced

The Goal of the Project is to have 10,000 Studs by September, and to Be Finished by next march. However, these are nothing more than friendly suggestions.

Ask questions below!

Current Builds:

Namerens in the Library 48x48

Alchemy Classroom  24x24

All-faiths Chapel 18x12

Administrative Building 32x39

Total Studs:  4344

Edited by Mesabi

Great idea! I’m quite sure that my main character didn’t attend university at all (he was too busy slaughtering barbarians and raiders on the Eastern border), but (if I can find time to do it :grin:) his attendant probably completed his studies in Corrington!

Great to see this initiative realised Mesabi, good work on the development and coordination of the project!

All participants, I would like to strongly advocate posting discussions of your plans / WIP shots of your creations in this post for feedback and collaborative purposes. I have participated in several large collaborations both here on Eurobricks and elsewhere where we have posted WIP shots for comment and criticism as we progress. It gives you another set of opinions which you can discard or implement at your discretion, improves the overall quality of the project and helps tie MOCs from multiple builders together.

I plan on participating - My entry will likely be of a similar style to @Elostirion's House by the River - except in keeping with Mesabi's concept as stated above it will be in dark red bricks. I need to order a stack of 1x2 tiles and plates and will post some of my own WIP shots here for comment when ready!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what we all can come up with here!

Are we required to be Corrish to submit builds? Perhaps someone studied abroad...would that work?

EDIT: Oops, looks like I didn't read the whole thing. Looks like I'll be attempting a few builds of a biology hall room and a garden. Just as a side-note I'm planning to flesh out Keenan Ried now that the summer's coming and from my early ideas he'll be a botanist studying pineapples...so my builds will be centered around that. 

Edited by TheCubbScout

I'm going to have a go building a clock tower if that's OK. This will be perfect for some hints about my character's backstory!

4 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Could we have this one pinned please ?

@Bregir, @Legostone, @Capt Wolf @Phred ?

Nope. To many subjects pinned. This is, while an amazing collab, not pinning material.

But I will link it in the Corlander faction thread. :)

Got my first build up for the royal university. It's a corner of location 15 on the map. Can't wait to see everyone else's! 

1 hour ago, Ross Fisher said:

Got room for a chaplaincy? Possibly around block 2?

There are at least two buildings without numbers, below #18. One of them could be a chapel. It could just as well be included in the building of #2. @Mesabi?

On 8/3/2018 at 2:27 AM, Ross Fisher said:

Got room for a chaplaincy? Possibly around block 2?

Sorry to take so long to respond! The UoT definitely could use a chapel, and a chaplaincy, and either of the two locations @Drunknok listed would make sense. Feel free to add it to your build roster, as we'd love it at the UoT

@Professor Thaum You may declare the builds as free builds, and as licensable property on the freebuild form, but you may not license your build. Once we reach 10,000 Studs, Corrington will license the project, and it will be considered done. We will pay you then. :wink: Make sense?

I'm uploading my build today. Just wanted to check how far into the past we can set the story? 20 years?

NVM, just spotted the "est 605" date on the map. Which means max 13 years into the past.

Edited by Ross Fisher

7 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Too bad to have this one dropping into the depth... so what's next ?

New challenge with prizes :pir-devil::kahuka::monkey:

16 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Too bad to have this one dropping into the depth... so what's next ?

This one never got much traction - despite yourgreat entries - but I feel BotBS overall has slowed down a lot over the last weeks. Seems like this dreaded "real life" is taking a toll on most of us.

20 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

but I feel BotBS overall has slowed down a lot over the last weeks. Seems like this dreaded "real life" is taking a toll on most of us.

That's the point :sceptic:

Just unearthing this to add my most recent entry:

32x39: 1248 studs added!

...only 5,700 to go.... :pir-look: