Hey guys, here's a project I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. It will be my second MOC to BrickFair Virginia this summer, along with my Kenworth T600 that I just finished.

This MOC will be a sequel to my V6 Supercar from 2017. As you can see the V8 piston engine is already in place. It will, of course, be a mid-engine supercar, with the engine clearly visible from the rear window. It is going to be a motorized MOC, as seen by the two L motors already in place. It will also include SBrick control, although I don't plan on motorizing anything other than drive and steering as it could make things more complicated.

At this point the rear of the chassis is pretty much complete, with two L motors connected to a 2-speed gearbox that will be controlled manually. The gearbox's output bypasses the engine via u-joints and connects to the rear differential, while the engine is connected directly to the drive motors via a gear train behind the rear axle. 

As of right now, my plans for this MOC include:

• Red body with black roof
  • Red rims with low-profile tires
  • Full independent suspension
  • Servo steering
  • SBrick control

Obviously, with less than two months to build this MOC, the building process will go pretty fast. Also because this is a more straightforward build than the Kenworth, I might not do as many WIP updates but the updates will cover more progress.

Photos:

FVR10VA.jpg

AdZuWYp.jpg

jj7trEL.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Looking good so far. I just checked out your other supercar on YT, and its impressive, so I'm hoping this one turns out nice too. One suggestion though: make the roof a bit taller for this one.

21 minutes ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Looking good so far. I just checked out your other supercar on YT, and its impressive, so I'm hoping this one turns out nice too. One suggestion though: make the roof a bit taller for this one.

Thanks!

For the roof, I plan on using those long curved panels, sorta like how the 42056 and the recent 42083 did it. I'm making that part black because I don't think they're currently available in red.

UPDATE 6/2/18

Hey guys, I've made some considerable progress on this MOC since yesterday. I've already had the front suspension/steering module complete so all I had to do was to attach it to the chassis. I've also started to work on widening the body, especially the interior area which already includes the dashboard/bottom panels.

However, I've decided to drop the working steering wheel function for this MOC. I know some of you might not like because this is a supercar model, but I felt that linking the steering wheel to the steering mechanism may make things more complicated.

Note: I am moving across the country so there may not be much progress the next few days. I also have to replace the servo as my current one has a pretty beat up wire and a small crack in its front output (it's been used ever since I started back in 2013). Also, I'll be staying at an apartment hotel the first few weeks after I move so it will be hard to make bricklink orders, so I may have to make some compromises.

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photos:

h5VZK4Q.jpg

HmWHGx6.jpg

Ug7KzrF.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

2 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

You are making fine progress, keep going!

Thanks!

Your good on the colors!! I like all types of chassis!! I think your Dash and Steering is to far back??? Looking forward to your build!! 

9 minutes ago, sirslayer said:

I think your Dash and Steering is to far back?

Yes, I agree.

Why all the commas and exclamations?

7 hours ago, sirslayer said:

Your good on the colors!! I like all types of chassis!! I think your Dash and Steering is to far back??? Looking forward to your build!! 

Thanks! What do you mean the dash and steering is too far back? I haven't put in the seats yet but I definitely feel like I should revisit that section before moving on with the build. If you could kinda explain what I should change that would be really appreciated :)

Move it a few studs forward to the front axle. If you keep it how it is the hood will be really long, but maybe you want that? It's up to you.

You have a mid engine design and having that has an advantage since the weight of the vehicle is near the center. A pure rear engine design has most of the weight near the rear and having a longer front end can balance the weight better. if its not balance correctly, under steer can occur.. like a dragster popping up if your design is to tail heavy. i just wiki it for this info!!! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear_mid-engine,_rear-wheel-drive_layout

23 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Move it a few studs forward to the front axle. If you keep it how it is the hood will be really long, but maybe you want that? It's up to you.

I'll probably end up making the front end longer then. The short front end is also making it harder for me to include a working steering wheel so I guess it would help that.

22 hours ago, sirslayer said:

You have a mid engine design and having that has an advantage since the weight of the vehicle is near the center. A pure rear engine design has most of the weight near the rear and having a longer front end can balance the weight better. if its not balance correctly, under steer can occur.. like a dragster popping up if your design is to tail heavy. i just wiki it for this info!!! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear_mid-engine,_rear-wheel-drive_layout

Good advice. I'm definitely gonna revisit the front section since that dash looks like a real pain. I've also got a new servo that should be coming in a few days, so I'm gonna be changing some stuff up these next few days.

UPDATE 6/10/18

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of activity this past week but during this time I've been completely reworking the chassis. The early version just seemed unnecessarily complicated to me with the gearbox and all that stuff, so I decided to streamline it a bit and have the drive motors connected as directly as possible to the rear axle. I was also able to clean up that back part a bit, as that annoying gear train going up to the V8 engine is now gone. This allowed me to move the battery forward a stud. However, I did not want to connect the SBrick to the battery via a long extension wire, so I placed the battery in there right side up. However, this would mean I make a section of the rear of the vehicle removable in order to access the on/off button and the charging port.

Summary of progress last week:

• Completely redesigned chassis, except the rear axle
  • Revised front axle with suspension setup similar to 42039/42056
  • Brand new servo motor, replacing the one I've used since 2013
  • Interior section (including dash) redesigned, but similar to previous version

Note: I still plan on using the red rims seen in the previous WIP updates. I had them on in the previous updates to keep the model stable (as there were gears from the gearbox sticking out from the bottom) but now with the gearbox removed the bottom is completely flat, so I decided to keep them off for this update to show more of the nitty-gritty stuff.

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photos:

7Pth7PC.jpg

WHk1Ujf.jpg

4uhRc7v.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Still the dashboard seems far back, and the SBrick is in a weird spot.

Edited by Aventador2004

Maybe you can just lower the S-brick a little more since there is no clunky gearbox in the way, or if there is enough room put it underneath the dashboard right up against the servo motor. That way you will have clear space to design the interior.

16 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Still the dashboard seems far back, and the SBrick is in a weird spot.

About how many studs forward should I move it? Maybe the pictures were taken at a weird angle, but I thought I fixed it this time...

Also the seats. I haven't put them in yet but could I potentially just move the seats further back? That would also make the dash seem more forward, or would it not? For the seats, I'm thinking about having the front of them around the 2nd of those gray pin connectors holding the 3x11 panel in place - right next to that L-beam. Would this be a good place for the seats, and would moving the seats back work or should I still focus on moving the dash forward? I've checked out instructions of the 8070 and the proportions seem about right, or am I off?

When I get to the bodywork, I'll probably make the doors a size similar to that of a standard Technic supercar - consisting of a 11-stud panel of some sort and a 5- or 7-stud one (like how they did it on 8070/42056/42083, for example). 

Since you also mentioned the SBrick is in a weird spot, what would be a better spot to put it? This is as far as that extension wire can stretch but with a bit of tinkering I could still potentially fit that long extension wire neatly in there. I decided to turn it around because I did not like how that mess of wires could be easily seen from the front window when the model is finished.

Anyways, thanks for the advice! 

16 hours ago, pagicence said:

Maybe you can just lower the S-brick a little more since there is no clunky gearbox in the way, or if there is enough room put it underneath the dashboard right up against the servo motor. That way you will have clear space to design the interior.

I'll see if I can lower it a bit. Probably can but there's that mess of wires that needs to fit below it... it would be pretty concealed once the roof is in place though, I think.

Edited by JLiu15

12 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

it would be pretty concealed once the roof is in place though, I think.

Yes, yes, and maybe you can make it a part of the central console arm rest somehow with a few flat bricks on top to cover the studs. Just something to think about.

1 hour ago, pagicence said:

Yes, yes, and maybe you can make it a part of the central console arm rest somehow with a few flat bricks on top to cover the studs. Just something to think about.

Good idea!

I've moved the servo a bit and the seats are also now in place. I'll do a WIP update on that shortly.

UPDATE 6/11/18

The chassis for the most part is complete at this point. I've taken Aventador2004's advice and moved the dash forward a few studs (I've provided more pictures this time so you guys can see it from more angles) and I've installed the seats too - just your typical Technic supercar seats. I've also moved the SBrick forward a bit and down a stud, and I've reworked the rear end to make the battery upside-down again (as there's no way I can use a short extension wire to connect it to the SBrick now due to distance), so this means I won't have to make any part of the rear removable in order to turn the battery on/off and access the charging port. I'll probably connect the battery to the SBrick once I get to the middle section of the bodywork - as currently there's barely any room to make it fit neatly.

Photos:

zC9ww4d.jpg

8PQw3EB.jpg

FHQQETP.jpg

aOZS5Wg.jpg

2ufOzgH.jpg

l1WUDEs.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

44 minutes ago, Meatman said:

Probably be taking the kids to Brickfair this year. Hope to see the finished model there. :classic:

Awesome! I'm really looking forward to it :)

UPDATE 6/14/18

Moving onto the bodywork! I’ve finished the front bumper section of the car, with a lot of building at angles and curved elements, including flex axles (those white ones outlining the wheel arches will eventually be replaced by red ones) and even System pieces.

Unfortunately, I’ve taken apart the seats and the dash as I want them to be built accordingly to the bodywork, rather than have the body built around them. I’m also gonna have to make sure the new dash is in proportion to the doors. Because I don’t like that empty space below the dash, I’ll probably put two black 5x7 frames in there (that I will order on Bricklink as part of a large set of orders that will contain red flex axles, red panels, etc.) that will also help reinforce the dash and the model as a whole. I’ve also realized the seats have to be made bigger.

Photos:

SDrdAza.jpg

hLgv2ca.jpg

pNSJlrL.jpg

ZkBZDMZ.jpg

vyzfVsy.jpg

4f9JpLr.jpg

Edited by JLiu15