1 hour ago, letsbuild said:

Wow, looks really good!

Thanks!

Stay tuned for more progress coming in the following weeks!

Now that is a mean looking front :devil: however, with the angle of the panels in front of the headlights, I wonder if it will blend into your wheel arches well. Maybe some angle would help?

1 hour ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Now that is a mean looking front :devil: however, with the angle of the panels in front of the headlights, I wonder if it will blend into your wheel arches well. Maybe some angle would help?

The angles things are placed at is crazy in there - various pieces are held on by like a single axle connector piece. It doesn't seem to affect things too much, though. 

3 hours ago, Lox Lego said:

Yeah the front is really taking shape! Awesome work dude

There hasn't been much progress on this MOC lately, but I've made a series of Bricklink orders that will contain a lot of the parts I need for completion of this MOC. Among the orders I've made are black 5x7 frames (to support the area below the dash), black 3x11 curved panels (to model the roof), red flex axles, and various beams and connectors to replace aging ones that are becoming dirty or cracked. But as for what I did do for this MOC since the last update, I've reworked the bottom paneling to four 3x11 panels as opposed to just two. I've also finished the hood for the most part, although I've yet to attach it.

Photos:

jwFwQVf.jpg

0b3Zd4O.jpg

JydtGt3.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 6/23/18

Made some good progress - on the hood. Overall it's pretty skeletal to keep things loose but there's a couple panels to add detail. The rest of my Bricklink orders should be coming in the next few days, and I should be able to complete the new interior (seats/dash) and the roof.

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photos:

kjv5Bt9.jpg

L3qmv2l.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

We'll take a crack at it when you finish the whole hood when your parts arrived. I already have an idea, but I will wait to see the finished section.

2 hours ago, pagicence said:

We'll take a crack at it when you finish the whole hood when your parts arrived. I already have an idea, but I will wait to see the finished section.

Thanks!

The hood is done. What I'm missing are the flex axles but those aren't really for the hood - they're for the wheel arches but they'll definitely help make the space underneath it look less square.

Looking really good!!! I'm in love with the front. It is absolutely stunning. However, you may want to fill in some of the holes in the new hood update, but that could just be me being picky before I've seen the rest of the body. Keep up the good work!!

7 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

The hood is done.

Since it's done... have you consider this: replacing 11L beam and two 2L tubes with 3x11 flat panel and adding another 2x5 panel above the 7L beam attaching it to the 3x11 flat panel. Also add one more bionic eye at the bottom of that 3x11 flat panel to fill the little gap between the hood and the front bumper. Maybe. That will close the gaps nicely. And what ever you do don't change the front bumper, because it looks AWESOME. This is only just my opinion.

Edited by pagicence

On 6/23/2018 at 10:07 AM, KD123 said:

I like the shaping work.  Do you have a reference car in mind?  Well done!

Thanks! Not really, I just look at supercars in general (both real and Lego Technic, for example 8070, 42056, 42083) and see how shaping is usually done, and go from there.

On 6/23/2018 at 10:15 AM, ginger-snapped said:

Looking really good!!! I'm in love with the front. It is absolutely stunning. However, you may want to fill in some of the holes in the new hood update, but that could just be me being picky before I've seen the rest of the body. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks!! When I add those 19L red flex axles marking the wheel arches it should start to look a bit more "filled". Still waiting for them to arrive...

20 hours ago, pagicence said:

Since it's done... have you consider this: replacing 11L beam and two 2L tubes with 3x11 flat panel and adding another 2x5 panel above the 7L beam attaching it to the 3x11 flat panel. Also add one more bionic eye at the bottom of that 3x11 flat panel to fill the little gap between the hood and the front bumper. Maybe. That will close the gaps nicely. And what ever you do don't change the front bumper, because it looks AWESOME. This is only just my opinion.

I agree, the front bumper really turned out well. I will, however, on that part where a grille-sorta thing will go in I will replace the 180 degree red connectors with smooth ones, like those used beneath 42056's driving rings. The 180 degree red connectors are merely placeholders right now as I wait for more parts to arrive.

I'm not sure about using the 3x11 pannel to replace the 11L beam and 2L tubes - it might end up looking kinda awkward with a combination of well-filled areas and not-so-filled parts, if you know what I mean. I've intentionally left it with some gaps to keep it loose - sorta like how the 8070 did it.

UPDATE 6/25/18

Considerable progress the last few days! The arrival of all my Bricklink orders allowed me to really get to work; I've finished the interior and added some details near the engine. As for the dash, I've completely redesigned it after removing it a few updates ago, and now it's much more incorporated into the chassis rather than sitting there all by itself. Unfortunately the steering wheel is still just for looks. The black 5x7 frames really allowed for a robust connection right there between the chassis and bottom panels, which I'm really happy with. The seats are kinda similar to those on the Porsche set - even though I decided to do them in dark gray this time. Note the structure between the seats - that will be the main attachment point for the roof.

As for the engine, I've added details such as tubes, bottle-like objects and some cylindrical ones. I'm not an expert on car engines so I just put whatever I felt like looked good in there, and I'm pretty happy with the result. Throughout the build the engine just looked bland, and this really improved the looks of it. At this point I'm considering an opening engine cover, something like on the 10248 or 42077, but it will be opened remotely via motors. If so then the build will become a modular one: I will build the engine cover itself when the body stuff (doors, roof, rear bumper) are in, but this is just an idea.

In the next few updates I'll aim to finish the rest of the body stuff - doors and roof first. As per usual, if you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

And now the photos!

4D99clr.jpg

0UQ2w6u.jpg

hPg1VHc.jpg

tQVe2ai.jpg

dkn2LlE.jpg

tnKutaj.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Continuing off the last update, I've got the doors and roof all finished:

• As for the doors - they're pretty basic, but they turned out pretty well in my opinion. They are secured by a pivot point as well as a linkage, which ensures there's enough friction to keep them from opening randomly.
  • As for the roof - I used four 3x13 curved panels to get that particular shape. Seeing this as the solution LEGO used in recent supercar sets, I decided to try it and it works great.

One particularly challenging part was the windshield: I needed to make sure it's held at a realistic enough angle while not compromising the ability for a flex axle to fit at the base of it. It took me at least 10 attempts to determine the best way to connect them and making sure none of the pieces are stressed or attached too loosely.

At this point you can kinda start to see the car itself take shape. The front 2/3 of it is essentially done. Some body panels and a rear bumper later and it's time for the rear hatch, which I plan to make remotely openable.

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Here's some photos:

hfgYUcr.jpg

qG2vWQw.jpg

H1vl6Aw.jpg

I9cbAhp.jpg

CnS4AMa.jpg

WCmR9B3.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

What a nice car man! The front is beautiful :wub:  but, isn't the whole car too long? I mean I hope not! Btw, that battery box placement is awesome! 

40 minutes ago, IA creations said:

What a nice car man! The front is beautiful :wub:  but, isn't the whole car too long? I mean I hope not! Btw, that battery box placement is awesome! 

Thank you! I'm glad you like it!

As for the size, looking at a similar supercar - Porsche Carrera GT, it doesn't seem too absurdly long, but thanks for pointing it out! Never thought of it.

Nice progress.  I would ask that you consider closing off the hood of the car as the front and mid section of the car is panelled off more closely vs. the hood which is more open.  Just looks a little inconsistent to me.   Rocking this WIP!  Well done!

1 hour ago, KD123 said:

Nice progress.  I would ask that you consider closing off the hood of the car as the front and mid section of the car is panelled off more closely vs. the hood which is more open.  Just looks a little inconsistent to me.   Rocking this WIP!  Well done!

Thank you!

I had to compromise on the hood. I tested several designs but either attached poorly or required me to drastically modify the surrounding areas. This was the optimal solution I came up with - not entirely happy with it but good enough without compromising time and pieces for the rest of the build.

Edited by JLiu15

On 6/28/2018 at 12:33 AM, Lipko said:

I'd place the roof 1-2 studs more towards the rear.

:thumbup:

UPDATE 6/29/18

At this point the car is about 80 percent complete. The only part I have left to build is the engine cover, which will be a separate module that will later be attached to the vehicle. It will be openable but won't be motorized, as there wasn't much space for an opening mechanism.

Since the previous update, I've added more body panels and got some of the rear done. Since @Lipko asked I've moved the roof back a stud, and imo it already looks a lot better than before.

However, to @IA creations and @BrickbyBrickTechnic I don't see how the car is too long. Sure, it's not short but it isn't absurdly long either. I've found some real supercars that seem to match its proportions (e.g. Porsche Carrera GT). 

Also, this MOC isn't gonna be named "V8 Supercar" in the end. It just sounds super lame for an interesting build. I'm deciding on something like "Red Beryl GT"

Once again, if you guys have any suggestions, please let me know.

Photos:

BATybIi.jpg

QjQ2lvJ.jpg

MmYPzlE.jpg

v1eM7gZ.jpg

Mb8JzTv.jpg

ivCE4NC.jpg

Edited by JLiu15