Sariel

42083 Bugatti Chiron Video Review and Official Reveal

Sorry for adding yet another Chiron topic, but my videos are buried on like 40th page of the general Chiron thread. And I have two that I think you'll like, with more coming shortly. First is the official Chiron reveal that has taken place at LEGO House in Billund Denmark today, with real, actual Bugatti Chiron and people from both LEGO and Bugatti, and the other is a complete review of the 42083 Chiron set. I will also have a POV speed build and interview with Lego and Bugatti designers coming up later.

I'm also proud to have been part of the official Chiron live build that was completed at 6 hours and 20 minutes (my first Chiron build has taken 7 hours 30 minutes), and left my fingers completely numb ;)

The Chiron reveal (presentation starts around 9:00):

The Chiron review:

POV speed build:

Edited by Sariel
Spelling error in title corrected

The live build was very well produced. I liked the picture in picture display and the multiple camera angles. At the beginning I was wondering if you were chained to the desk until you finished the build with no food, water or "amenities", but luckily there was a helper who sorted parts while you took quick breaks. Nice job. 

I dunno why but the more I look at the set the more flattened and oddly shaped it seems ):

Thanks for this great video! 

Now that I've seen all of it, my enthusiasm has gone down quite a bit.

The good:

Overall shape and proportions are excellent IMO

The new pieces are amazing, will truly revolutionize gearboxes 

The bad:

16 forward speeds? what?! Is this a fast and furious stunt car by any chance?

What on earth is that paddle shifter?! that's awful, it's like a see-saw that's been flipped sideways

That spoiler adjustment system is also terrible, I would've much rather preferred a gearwheel to control the spoiler

Edited by sm1995

11 minutes ago, sm1995 said:

16 forward speeds? what?! Is this a fast and furious stunt car by any chance?

It has eight, Sariel corrected himself in the description.

"Who will like this set? - builders looking for some breakthrough in Lego transmission design" and "Who won't like this set? - anyone looking for complex and realistic functions" sounds a bit like a contradiction. The Chiron's transmission looks like one of the most complex (and in some aspects, most realistic) Lego features in recent times. In my opinion at least more genious and less "obvious" than the lowered rear diff solution.

Man, why did these videos have to be so long?! @Sariel You made me late for work! :laugh:

Great review as always. :thumbup: I will not be getting this set, it's WAY too expensive, but some of those gears and those new transmission parts will be mine!

For the folks claiming that the set looks nothing like the real thing ;)

34259009_10157554651203696_5379558215979

1 hour ago, Sariel said:

For the folks claiming that the set looks nothing like the real thing ;)

that is a great shot, they've done well recreating it

Thanks for posting the full reveal. The "official" stream was very short for some reason.

It must have been a really great experience no doubt, but I would have been quite anxious having to speed build in front of that many people while being streamed live.

The set isn't perfect but I do think it ticks most of the boxes that it needed to. The stickers though... :hmpf_bad:

Only a few questions Sariel - at the end of live building, you were trying really hard to do not show the flaw of the front suspension or it is just me? Can you confirm, after touching at least two models, that it is a problem? Did anyone from designers said anything about that?

Edited by blondasek

First of all: Thank you for your coverage of the event. I actually could not see it live due to being in the Lego Shop. While I appreciate being able to immediately buy it when it is revealed, it's a timing problem.

One quick comment about the 16+R speed in the video: The gearbox layout is actually sequentially going through 16 different configurations (4 on the first clutch and 4 on the second clutch which is moving every 4th time you advance a gear. However the gear ratios of the second clutch are doubled. This means that on the second clutch you are going through position 1 (ratio 1) then position two (ratio 2) then position 3 (ratio 1 again) and finally position 4 with ratio 2 again. So the 2nd clutch is just switching between the two axles (the wave selector is engaging the axle "to the side" or the axle "underneath" but the axle itself is always going at the same speed regardless which of the two clutches on one axis is engaged.

So this should explain the confusion between 8 speed vs. 16 speed.

One question I have: How about the resistance of the whole drivetrain in all the gears for the two models you have build so far? I have some problems in some of the gears where the W16 actually stalls and the slip gear has to engage.

Edited by Musikfreak

There is a 24t clutch gear in the drivetrain specifically to prevent the W16 from stalling, so that looks like a building error.

Literally every single Chiron copy I've touched had saggy front suspension, including the one put together by LEGO people as a decoration for the Lego & Bugatti team interview. But some people claim their copy doesn't have that problem, so maybe that's just a frequently happening building error, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Sariel said:

There is a 24t clutch gear in the drivetrain specifically to prevent the W16 from stalling, so that looks like a building error.

Literally every single Chiron copy I've touched had saggy front suspension, including the one put together by LEGO people as a decoration for the Lego & Bugatti team interview. But some people claim their copy doesn't have that problem, so maybe that's just a frequently happening building error, I don't know.

There is any chance that you will find some time to take a look on that before (if) you will disassemble that piece of beauty?

I tried to look at that and I was unable to find any error, but perhaps I've missed something.

@Sariel By the looks the shocks on the front from your first build (speed build on YT) are vertical. I think they should be 1 stud further out at the bottom so they connect next to the 5L thin lift arms?

You did it the correct way at Billund by the looks. Did you notice a difference between the two cars? I think to improve they should be further angled, but there doesn't look to be a lot of room to do that without more changes (it's an extremely dense build for an official lego build!)

The videos are great BTW. The live build was really well put together, though the camera angles at from about 3 hours onwards were lacking quite a bit (the car was often in the way) - nothing to do with you though! I loved the banter/commentary with Ali + Aurelian.

On 6/2/2018 at 1:31 AM, LvdH said:

It has eight, Sariel corrected himself in the description.

In fact the gearbox has 16 different positions. It is build from a sequence of 2 gearboxes. The first has 4 positions, but its 1st and 3rd gear have the same ratio and its 2nd and 4th gear too. The second gearbox has 4 ratios, one for each position. So all together it has 16 positions, but when you iterate over them, you'll run through the eight speeds twice.

Edited by Didumos69

Long interview with Bugatti & LEGO designers. Plenty of marketing sweet talk, but also some facts and jokes:

Great interview. It seems this time questions of colour coding aren't allowed, next year questions of Ackerman steering won't be allowed :laugh: but it does go back to a question I posted to Jim to ask them, which is, why keep the wheels at EXACTLY 81.6 mm in diameter? In the Porsche rims you can almost fit 8880 length (4M long) steering arms (as opposed to the 3M long we have now) which would reduce wobblyness, improve the feel/handling of the steering and make room for Ackerman. It's just a few more millimeters that's needed, surely they could have done that as they were making new wheels anyway and it would have still been close enough to 1:8 scale. Even the guy from Bugatti said he wanted the wheels to be bigger.