Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

The Cormorant

You say commercial routes, and you imagine the huge Eslandolan tresure galleons sailing to motherland, Oleander wines, peppercorn and silver, or the agile Corrish merchant ships full of sugar and cocoa. You imagine goods loaded by dozens of day laborers, pirates lurking, and cargos worthing centuries of a sailor's wage.
Believe or not, more than an half of what is bought and sold in the archipelago, more than an half of the doubloons exchanged every day, have a completely different appearance: the lifeblood feeding large cities and desolate outposts needs arteries and veins as much as tiny capillaries.

40691858030_364c382e34_z.jpg

The Cormorant is one of the ships (the best, according to its captain) giving life to the web of small but essential web of trades connecting the islands.

40690911370_d6bf48828c_z.jpg

Far below pirates' predatory gaze, the Cormorant carries small cargos of humble goods, 50Dbs of worth at most, but distributes anything that is produced or imported to the ones who need it: if you can find rum and ale in your favourite tavern, if you don't die of hunger or scurvy on an arid island, if you can sell your vegetables to someone else than your neighbours, probably you should thank men like captain Moreau and his guys... remember that before aiming the Cormorant with your guns!

41776432434_b79178c21a_z.jpg

More pics:

40690922600_f3e970f89a_z.jpg

40691863270_3b6a5c7ffa_m.jpg

Edited by Keymonus
Name “Albatross” already taken

Nice ship. Good work on the hull, and the cargo and fig posing is well done. And I really like the story highlighting the smaller traders. :thumbup:

That's a very well built little boat! The sails look good and it's a excellent idea to fill the cargo with plenty of vegetables. I like particularly how you've shaped the hull with hinges. Keep it up, we need moooaaarrr ships.

Thank you! The core of the hull is a couple of flexible tubes with panels attached; I used hinges too, to shape the upper part. Sails are made up of paper, and probably are the most elaborated I've built up to now. :sweet:

1 hour ago, Keymonus said:

Thank you! The core of the hull is a couple of flexible tubes with panels attached; I used hinges too, to shape the upper part. Sails are made up of paper, and probably are the most elaborated I've built up to now. :sweet:

Keep it up ... Rather swell looking lil trader ... Your story was enjoyable as well.

My only gripe is I would have a tiller stick instead of a helm wheel (least in my head smaller ships were this way) but that doesnt take anything away this one!

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

That is a nice cutter you've built, Keymonus. It's nothing too fancy, but as you said, it has an irreplaceable role in commerce. The crew and sundry cargo are good details. 

I am a little confused by the sail plan. The third sail looks out of place, and I can't quite tell if it's supposed to be a jib or something else.

Lovely little trader Keymonus, like the others have mentioned I like how you have highlighted the role of these little traders! I like the cargo visible on the deck and the arrangement of the sails.

On 02/06/2018 at 4:50 AM, Keymonus said:

You say commercial routes, and you imagine the huge Eslandolan tresure galleons sailing to motherland, Oleander wines, peppercorn and silver, or the agile Corrish merchant ships full of sugar and cocoa.

This is a perfect description for how I imagine 'big' commerce in the brick seas.... I may have to use it a some stage!

Thank you for your comments! :classic:

About the ship details: at first I tried a tiller stick but, since the helmsman would have been in a strange position, I preferred a “safer” wheel; to be honest the third sail is more an aesthetic touch than a realistic detail, and should also have had a more useful angulation, but I’ m satisfied by the overall result.

Great little vessel! Perhaps I'll also give something like this a go :wink:

Regarding the name - you'll have to change it, our system can't handle duplicates sadly, and we already have a vessel named Albatross. Tell me what to do and I'll take care of it.

Thank you! :sweet:

No problem about the name: any other sea bird will fit as well!

In order of preference: Cormorant, Seagull, Pelican, or, if already taken, another one

2 hours ago, Keymonus said:

Thank you! :sweet:

No problem about the name: any other sea bird will fit as well!

In order of preference: Cormorant, Seagull, Pelican, or, if already taken, another one

Cormorant it is :pir-laugh: