LegoAndDisney

How would you guys feel about a Masters of the Universe line?

Just been thinking about this; I know Lego rarely resurrects old shows/movies without something current in the pipeline; but I've noticed a lot of speculation is going around the web about a new Masters of the Universe movie. I'm throwing in a polite "no one will beat Langella" statement here!

But it got me thinking that MOTU is one licensed toy machine that Lego hasn't touched on really and let's be honest, the potential is there, right? Castle Greyskull; snake mountain as sets along with some truly colourful characters? I'm not saying it will happen and I know there's thousands of MOCS out there, but I just wondered what people's thoughts would be if this came off; do you think it would be a success for Lego? Would you buy any sets etc? 

Edited by LegoAndDisney

If Lego were to make sets I would definitely buy them. Grew up on that show and toyline. Last I knew another company had the rights to it though.

Edited by fordtruckin

Never gonna happen because Masters of the Universe is a Mattel toyline, and Mega Construx has released He-Man merchandise.

10 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Never gonna happen because Masters of the Universe is a Mattel toyline, and Mega Construx has released He-Man merchandise.

Not unlike Thomas the Tank Engine too, except that franchise was never conceived solely for the sake of toys. :hmpf_bad:

On 6/1/2018 at 12:00 PM, fordtruckin said:

If Lego were to make sets I would definitely buy them. Grew up on that show and toyline. Last I knew another company had the rights to it though.

On 6/1/2018 at 12:16 PM, MatthewRC said:

That is the biggest reason a MofU line will not be done by LEGO. And right now you could find a He-Man & Skeletor mini-figures in the stores (probably at Walmart). Plus Tila & Beastman are (spouse to be) coming out soon. 

On 6/2/2018 at 4:48 PM, samurai-turtle said:

That is the biggest reason a MofU line will not be done by LEGO.

Also, for that matter, Power Rangers is now off the table for Lego for the same reason, as Hasbro brought up the franchise back in early May.

L.A. Times - Haim Saban is selling Power Rangers brand to toy maker Hasbro 

Couldn't Mattel just do a deal with Lego instead? Didn't playmates do the same with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Or am I missing something, I'm not familiar with rights and such regarding movies/figures :look:

There are Chinese "custom" MOTU figures out there on "Fleabay" , but I would prefer Lego to be doing this...shame it will never happen!

I feel that it would be a huge flop. But it would be cool. Cant guarantee that I would buy any of them unless they were really cool. 

12 hours ago, r5-j2 said:

There are Chinese "custom" MOTU figures out there on "Fleabay" , but I would prefer Lego to be doing this...shame it will never happen!

I've seen some near-perfect mocs of MOTU minifigures online that are actual lego products, just custom printing and they look fantastic. But like you, I've seen loads of fakes too and they look hidious!

I'd take a hard pass personally. It was a fun show when I was 8, but it didn't really hold a special place for me. But if people get it and they love it, fantastic. 

Of course I will buy all the sets but I don t  think it would be a great success for Lego.

I know there's thousands of MOCS out there

Really ? I don t think so haha.

I only know Orion Pax and Hobbestimus MOCS.

And of course me, here are mine :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55518546@N03/

Edited by Sebiron
By the power of Graykull ! <3

On 6/4/2018 at 8:13 AM, LegoAndDisney said:

Couldn't Mattel just do a deal with Lego instead? Didn't playmates do the same with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Or am I missing something, I'm not familiar with rights and such regarding movies/figures :look:

The difference between Mattel with Masters of the Universe and Playmates with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is that Mattel actually owns MOTU outright, whereas  Playmates merely licenses the rights to make TMNT toys (just as LEGO itself did not long ago).

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was initially created as a comic book series, and from there became adapted for TV and movies, not unlike the Marvel and DC characters and stories. Various toy companies (including Playmates and LEGO) have made TMNT toys over the years. They licensed the rights to do so from the TMNT rightsholders.

Masters of the Universe, on the other hand, was actually created as a toy line by Mattel. They partnered with Marvel to produce comic books and Filmation to produce an animated TV series, but those stories were meant to promote the toy line, and neither Marvel nor Filmation actually owns the overall franchise; the toy company Mattel does.

The reason the distinction is important is because while LEGO licenses many, many entertainment properties from movies, TV, comics, video games, etc., as a general rule it does not produce sets based on toy properties owned by other toy companies. They see doing so as promoting their competitors. It would be like McDonald’s getting a license from Burger King to make a McDonald’s-branded Whopper (or Burger King making Big Macs), or Volkswagen licensing out the Beetle rights to other car companies so that there were Ford Beetles, Chevrolet Beetles, Infiniti Beetles, etc.

Note how when LEGO produced Toy Story sets, it included a slew of characters who are toys created specifically for the movies (Woody, Jessie, Bullseye, Stinky Pete, Buzz Lightyear, Emperor Zurg, Rex, Hamm, Lotso Huggin’ Bear, RC, Stretch, Chunk, Twitch, the Pizza Planet aliens), or “generic” toys (the little green army men). But all the characters who were based on preexisting, real-world brand-name toys - Barbie & Ken, Slinky Dog, Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head, etc. - were conspicuously absent from the sets. That’s because while LEGO licenses all sorts of entertainment properties, and also licenses brands from other companies of totally different types than toy companies (Volkswagen, Porsche, Toys ‘R’ Us, Maersk, Boeing, McDonald’s, etc.), it generally doesn’t produce sets based on brand-name toys from other toy companies.

For that reason, it is unlikely (not impossible, but really unlikely) that we’ll ever see LEGO products based on Masters of the Universe - or Transformers, or G.I. Joe, or Barbie, or My Little Pony, or any of various other toy lines owned by (competing) toy companies. In particular, those five toy lines I just mentioned are all owned by either Hasbro or Mattel, which happen to be two of LEGO’s biggest competitors.

(And similarly, while Hasbro and Mattel also make their own toys based on some of the same pop-culture entertainment properties LEGO does, like Marvel, DC, and Star Wars, they don’t license the rights to make their own toys based on LEGO’s in-house lines - you don’t see Hasbro or Mattel making fashion dolls, die-cast vehicles, etc. based on Friends, Ninjago, Nexo Knights, and so on.)

Edited by Blondie-Wan