Sign in to follow this  
primocucu

About LEGO and the Back to the Future License

Hi! My name is Rodrigo and I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I grew up watching the Back to the Future trilogy, and I believe it’s just a perfect set of films.

The moment I heard there was going to be a LEGO set with the DeLorean featuring Marty and Doc, it was like a dream come true. It was a must buy, no questions asked. The minifigures were absolutely fantastic, even though the Cuusoo time machine wasn’t my favorite build. No windscreen? Why?? Nevermind.  LEGO and BTTF together, can’t complain.

81iuPIBdSEL._SL1500_.jpg

A couple of years later, we got a couple of LEGO Dimensions sets. This time, very little to build, a new hair piece for Doc Brown (much more accurate btw), and a brand new hoverboard for Marty, which is fantastic. The thing is Marty and Doc had the same torso and legs design from the Cuusoo set . Couldn’t they try another designs? Never mind. Good to know LEGO still considers BTTF within their licenses and products. That’s great.

209168_detail.jpg

untitled152.jpg?w=1024&h=536

A few weeks, LEGO announced that Marty and Doc will be in the new series of Brickheadz. Fantastic! Brand new line, seems to be doing great, good for Marty and Doc. The problem? Like Cuusoo and Dimensions, Marty is wearing the same shirt, the red vest, the clear jeans… And Doc with his all white nuclear radiaton suit.

41611.jpg

This is the moment when two of my biggest passions clash. Is it possible for LEGO to consider even making different minifig designs for Marty and Doc? I understand they won’t choose other characters, but Marty and Doc are constantly changing outfits during the trilogy… Is it too hard to design a Western Marty? Or a 1955 Doc Brown? Why does Ghostbusters get the Firehouse and BTTF can’t get the Clock Tower?

Once the BTTF Hardcore fan shuts up, the LEGO AFOL comes around and says that this may be truth, but LEGO may not be that interested in investing time and resources in a franchise that doesn’t pay off as much as others. That maybe, I should be grateful that LEGO is still making BTTF sets.

Sorry for the length, but I really wanted to share this slight disappointment regarding the way LEGO worked the BTTF license. It’s kind of a weird feeling, but I can’t help thinking how much good LEGO can do with so little, an do justice to a fantastic franchise such as Back to the Future.

Edited by primocucu

I think it's cause those are there most iconic outfits, when I think Marty Mcfly I think of the red puffer jacket. Dork thinks he's gonna drown.

I feel your pain. Ever since the DeLorean set in 2013, I've wanted Lego to make a set based off of the Time Train, or the original 1885 train, or anything else really. The Western and 2015 outfits would make great minifigs too.

I feel exactly the same towards Doctor Who, Adventure Time and other themes introduced via LEGO Ideas.

What's impressive is the demand for Lego BTTF being that the movies were made over 30 years ago. There haven't been any re-boots or re-makes and the popularity lies solely on the original films, especially the first one. With that in mind the fact that we got anything past the Cuusoo set is pretty impressive if you think about it. While I would love to go out and a buy a Hill Valley Clock Tower set I just don't see the demand in the grand scheme of things. The whole Ghostbusters thing was odd. The guys that won the Cuusoo/ Idea's thing for the Ecto-1 also made a firehouse but Lego released their own version... Some shadiness surrounds that whole thing depending on what you read about it. I think Lego lost out on the firehouse set in terms of sales. It's still available after at least two years now and hasn't been discounted yet. The Ghostbusters re-make didn't do well either at least compared to the original. If for some godawful reason BTTF gets re-made I am sure you would see a whole line of new and classic BTTF sets but who wants to see that happen? I wouldn't doubt if Lego continues to release some small BTTF sets just like they have been doing. The demand on the Brickheadz set alone is pretty amazing.

On 3/6/2018 at 12:44 AM, 22kane said:

What's impressive is the demand for Lego BTTF being that the movies were made over 30 years ago. There haven't been any re-boots or re-makes and the popularity lies solely on the original films, especially the first one. With that in mind the fact that we got anything past the Cuusoo set is pretty impressive if you think about it. While I would love to go out and a buy a Hill Valley Clock Tower set I just don't see the demand in the grand scheme of things. The whole Ghostbusters thing was odd. The guys that won the Cuusoo/ Idea's thing for the Ecto-1 also made a firehouse but Lego released their own version... Some shadiness surrounds that whole thing depending on what you read about it. I think Lego lost out on the firehouse set in terms of sales. It's still available after at least two years now and hasn't been discounted yet. The Ghostbusters re-make didn't do well either at least compared to the original. If for some godawful reason BTTF gets re-made I am sure you would see a whole line of new and classic BTTF sets but who wants to see that happen? I wouldn't doubt if Lego continues to release some small BTTF sets just like they have been doing. The demand on the Brickheadz set alone is pretty amazing.

I believe the BTTF sets keep coming because there is a certain demand that LEGO finds appealing. The thing is they don't even double the bet with a new set, not even a remake of the Delorean Time Machine. Anyway, I understand it's too much to ask, just though they could do a little better, using more scenes from the film, not only the Twin Pines Mall scene.

I think BTTF was helped by being the first of the 80s nostalgia sets. I believe sales were OK at the time, but it was definitely discounted for a while here in the UK. But the numbers produced were quite small compared to the later GB Ecto-1 set. Being the first set and a relatively small run means that many people that have got into the 80s nostalgia sets missed out on it, so its secondary market price has increased very well compared to the GB IDEAS set.

I wonder if it would do as well if it was issued for the first time now, given all the 80s nostalgia minifigures that have been produced since then.

I just finished the Indiana Jones trilogy (video game), few weeks ago it was the 2 triologies Star Wars and now I'm on the Batman game. I still don't have played Harry Potter and Jurassic Park/World but a I would love a new game with the BTTF trilogy plus a 5 sets wave (like Scooby Doo).

I wish there was a more UCS style deleroan released.  The Cuusoo set isnt bad but I want something larger and more detailed.

2 hours ago, the_Yoyo said:

I wish there was a more UCS style deleroan released.  The Cuusoo set isnt bad but I want something larger and more detailed.

A Creator Expert scaled time machine DeLorean would certainly remedy the lackluster minifigure-scaled build that the CUUSOO set gave us. 

Edited by Digger of Bricks