Hi everyone

I'd like to present my latest MOC, and the follow up to my previous Modular, "The Queen Bricktoria Pub".

This time I've designed another British style building, a Post Office, set some time during the late 1950's. There is much more to it than just a Post Office though. Read on to find out more...

41588206725_e270a93a55_k_d.jpg

As you can see this modular building has 3 floors and is built on a 32 x 32 base plate. I have designed it to appear as 2 separate buildings situated around a small town square. The post office is intended to be the main focus of the model but the building on the right also contains a fish & chip shop and other businesses.

42490933111_6a2e33d1f2_z_d.jpg28618331198_09e8f6b3d3_z_d.jpg

42490931961_905f8f1c47_z_d.jpg40683161230_8b097821e3_z_d.jpg

42439437512_6dfe891f43_z_d.jpg40683164130_5b8267a0db_z_d.jpg

40683179550_5f9500aa38_z_d.jpg41768395534_dcbfa17b49_z_d.jpg

The Minifigures

27620523097_51dc523470_z_d.jpg

I've included 6 minifigs with this MOC. From left to right they are: Post Office Worker, Post Office Manager, The Postman, Chip Shop Owner, Cafe Barista and a Business man.

Brick Square and Ground Level Details

Both the buildings are arranged around "Brick Square". I've included a small flowering tree in the centre of the square and outside the post office there is a pillar box, bench, rubbish bin and flower pots. Outside the fish and chip shop is a table with parasol.

42439438722_f97e179d5c_z_d.jpg

42490927381_b91339583c_z_d.jpg

42490928681_a599c69db1_z_d.jpg

42490930171_cbb5caa564_z_d.jpg

The Pillar box is a simple build made up from 2x2 round bricks, plates and tiles, stacked up and held together with a technic axle running through the middle. The shaped slot section towards the top is made from a red wheel flipped on its side.

28618327258_9f140120ba_z_d.jpg

Sandwiched between both buildings is a shared stairwell which can be accessed from the street. This is how the minifigs access the upper floors.

42439444912_048b8b33dc_z_d.jpg

The Post Office

The pictures below show the interior of the post office.

42439463302_9134d6ed80_z_d.jpg

28618339388_36a93b4321_z_d.jpg

27620509147_a89a0fbe0a_z_d.jpg

42439458162_e03a2d60eb_z_d.jpg

Mail Sorting Office

On the floor above the post office is the room where all the mail gets sorted, ready to be sent out. This room is accessed via the stair well outside the post office.

42439465642_4045d84cd0_z_d.jpg

42439464602_2fde8fee42_z_d.jpg

41588241705_e75696403c_z_d.jpg

Fish & Chip Shop

Another iconic British building - a fish and Chip Shop. The shop sells chips, battered fish, burgers, sausages and drinks.

40683193140_98f5e40cce_z_d.jpg

42439462082_6e22006f2e_z_d.jpg

40683191390_803c1a5f68_z_d.jpg

Coffee Shop

Above the Fish & Ship Shop is a little cafe with a coffee machine, cake stand, table and seat.

28618343818_39b18e7b60_z_d.jpg

42439466632_414cc4c230_z_d.jpg

In the corner of the cafe is a stair case leading up to the top floor.

42439466062_cdee044bac_z_d.jpg

Office

Above the cafe is an office used by a local businessman. I've included a desk with drawers, telephone and paperwork. There is also a grandfather clock and plant pots.

28618343058_e0153702a7_z_d.jpg

42439467202_5c14f1232f_z_d.jpg

27620520157_19741132f2_z_d.jpg

Mail Van

I have also included a vehicle with this MOC, a vintage style Mail van. 

41588259145_2410458295_z_d.jpg

27620528947_833bb884ef_z_d.jpg

40683208600_cbe2ce8269_z_d.jpg

42490955801_7c7e3acc2f_z_d.jpg

41588260015_e1d123f0d2_z_d.jpg

The Finished Model

Here is a shot of the Brick Square Post Office, alongside my other modulars, The Queen Bricktoria and Convenience Store. If you'd like to read more about these other MOCs then follow the links below.

Convenience Store        Queen Bricktoria

40683206530_62f2945d14_k_d.jpg

Thanks very much for reading. If you'd like to see more pictures of the Brick Square Post Office then head across to my Flickr page, I've added over 60 pictures of it there. 

I hope you like my latest MOC, feel free to leave comments and let me know what you think. :classic:

EDIT:  Building instructions for this MOC are now available from Rebrickable at the following link https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-22101/Bricked1980/brick-square-post-office/#comments

Edited by Bricked1980

Wow, really stunning! You should submit it to Ideas as well I think! Really like it.

What a beauty! It's like a British take on the Assembly Square, only that this one still sits upon a 32×32 baseplate. Not only do I love all the attentive exterior and interior detailing, the inclusion of that staircase between the two is pretty cool to see in a modular creation! 

Great creation Bricked1980. Good use of the available space to fit in so many different businesses. Would vote for this on Ideas. Modular line definitely needs a Post Office

I entered EB and saw you'd posted a new MOC. I wanted to hold on a little bit, so meanwhile I entered @LegoModularFan's inspiration topic. But heck, I saw a comment there with the newer signature. At first glance it looks properly amazing. Two buildings, well balanced in terms of colours and shaping (the left one's roof shape is just blindingly pretty!), nice details overall, and my favourite... an alleyway! I know a 32x32 is indeed a small modular that's hard to make stand out and not looked too cramped. You've achieved a stylish pair of buildings and a pretty great atmosphere surrounding the build. I think your pub was a huge step up form the convinience store, and this is another step forward in the right direction, although QB's Pub overshadows it a lot (this is perfect size, the pub was a little bit too big to my liking :wink:). The spaces are well resolved overall. If you allow me just a single little criticism, the Post Office's ground floor exterior details are a bit bland to my liking. Maybe it's done on purpose so it doesn't overshadow the rest of the build. Nevermind, a great modular. 

Edited by paupadros

Many thanks for the kind comments guys! :classic:

3 hours ago, JopieK said:

Wow, really stunning! You should submit it to Ideas as well I think! Really like it.

Thank you, glad you like it! Unfortunately it clocks in at around 3400 parts so I think that makes it too big to be accepted as an Ideas project. Maybe I could submit a version without the mail van though. 

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

What a beauty! It's like a British take on the Assembly Square, only that this one still sits upon a 32×32 baseplate. Not only do I love all the attentive exterior and interior detailing, the inclusion of that staircase between the two is pretty cool to see in a modular creation! 

Thanks a lot! My original intention was to create something similar to Assembly Square or Detectives office where the model appears to contain more than 1 building. So I'm pleased you think it resembles Assembly Square in some way! :thumbup:

3 hours ago, scottwb2010 said:

Great creation Bricked1980. Good use of the available space to fit in so many different businesses. Would vote for this on Ideas. Modular line definitely needs a Post Office

Thanks! Yes I would love to see Lego release an official Modular post office as well.

3 hours ago, paupadros said:

At first glance it looks properly amazing. Two buildings, well balanced in terms of colours and shaping (the left one's roof shape is just blindingly pretty!), nice details overall, and my favourite... an alleyway! I know a 32x32 is indeed a small modular that's hard to make stand out and not looked to cramped. You've achieved a stylish pair of buildings and a pretty great atmosphere surrounding the build. I think your pub was a huge step up form the convinience store, and this is another step forward in the right direction, although QB's Pub overshadows it a lot (this is perfect size, the pub was a little bit too big to my liking :wink:). The spaces are well resolved overall. If you allow me just a single little criticism, the Post Office's ground floor exterior details are a bit bland to my liking. Maybe it's done on purpose so it doesn't overshadow the rest of the build. Nevermind, a great modular. 

Thanks very much and I'm pleased you think this is a step up from my QB pub! :classic:

Also thanks for your constructive criticism about the ground floor of the post office. Whilst designing this I was conscious of the fact I was trying to cram quite a lot in to a relatively small 32 x 32 space, and was concerned it could look too cluttered if I wasn't careful. This is why I tried not to go too over the top with exterior detailing, but maybe a bit extra on the ground floor of the post office wouldn't have hurt!

3 hours ago, Nightfall said:

Wow! Another beautiful building with so many nice details.

Thanks a lot, I'm pleased you like it!

1 hour ago, RogerSmith said:

Nicely done!

Love the general shaping and level of detail throughout the build. Any plans to build it in bricks?

Many thanks! I would love nothing more than to build this with real bricks, so hopefully I will be able to buy the bricks and do this at some point.

Beautiful. I really like your style. Your buildings all have a very warm, cozy and inviting aesthetic. The post office side is especially strong and I love the facade and roof; gorgeous. The window arches, foliage and planters and colors are all wonderfully balanced. Amazing work Bricked1980, you are on a roll.

Another great modular, @Bricked1980, you're really fast at designing modulars! I really like the roof and the foliage of the post office building and the alleyway is certainly a nice addition. My favorite building is the fish and chips store, because of its amazing color scheme, sign and the tree, and it looks very atmospheric to me! But the reason it's my favorite is mostly of course that incredible roofline! :wub: You always do amazing work on rooflines, I think that's really becoming your specialty. 

My only small criticism is about the first floor windows of the post office building. They look a bit too close to each other IMO, I'd personally have put an half stud or one stud space between them without modifying anything else on that building if possible. But otherwise, great job on the whole MOC! :classic:

On 01/06/2018 at 11:34 PM, koalayummies said:

Beautiful. I really like your style. Your buildings all have a very warm, cozy and inviting aesthetic. The post office side is especially strong and I love the facade and roof; gorgeous. The window arches, foliage and planters and colors are all wonderfully balanced. Amazing work Bricked1980, you are on a roll.

That's a very kind comment koalayummies. Thanks a lot. :classic:

8 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

You always do amazing work on rooflines, I think that's really becoming your specialty. 

Thank you legomodularfan. Glad you like the roof. :classic: At first I was a bit concerned it looked kind of similar to the roofline on my queen bricktoria moc even though it is built completely differently.

I do enjoy designing the roofs as it gives the chance to use some novel and unusual pieces to create different textures and shapes, that you wouldn't normally get the chance to use anywhere else on a building.

Regarding the other roof on the post office building, this is the first time I'd done a sloped roof and this was one of the things I knew I definitely wanted to include right from the start with this moc.

8 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

My only small criticism is about the first floor windows of the post office building. They look a bit too close to each other IMO, I'd personally have put an half stud or one stud space between them without modifying anything else on that building if possible.

On an earlier draft of the model both buildings were slightly wider and I didn't have the 4 stud wide stair well running between them at all. Originally the windows were spaced further apart but I ended up closing this gap to make space for the stairs to be added. I see what you mean though, maybe an extra stud width between them would have looked better. 

14 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Congratulation @Bricked1980 on having this creation of yours frontpaged! :sweet:

Many thanks. Wow, only just spotted this. That's a very nice and unexpected surprise. *oh2* :sweet: 

Huge thanks to the EB staff for adding it to the front page and for the write up @Pandora:thumbup:

Edited by Bricked1980

These buildings are gorgeous on the outside and beautifully detailed on the inside! Hope you do get to build them in real bricks one day.

That looks brilliant.
I love the façades and especially how their distance to the road varies. The centre staircase is teriffic.
Favourite part of the interior is the fish and chips shop.
Would love to see this in real bricks (and build it myself, too!). Some parts may not be available in the colours you use them in, but that will just take some minor tweaking, I think.

Keep clicking those bricks together!

This makes a lot of the regular modulars pale in comparison. Beautifully built, with a lot detailing/little scenes going on everywhere, very likeable characters, lovely subject matter and as bonus a vehicle with a lot personality as well. Simply a great MOC! :classic:

On 03/06/2018 at 12:24 AM, Kristel said:

These buildings are gorgeous on the outside and beautifully detailed on the inside! Hope you do get to build them in real bricks one day.

Thanks very much Kristel, I'm pleased you like it. :classic:

On 03/06/2018 at 6:32 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Beautiful MOC; the post office, the van and the cart with the barriers are the details that I love the most! :wub:

Thanks. I'm glad you like the van as this is the first time I've created a MOC vehicle and I wasn't sure what sort of reaction it would get. The original idea was to create a lego version of one of these beautiful Morris J Type vans, that were used by the British Royal Mail during the 1950's.

15250640782_5236e2f57a.jpg

As the design evolved though I ended up straying away from this style a bit and the end result is a sort of generic looking vintage van which is only loosely inspired by one of these Morris vans.

22 hours ago, Withacee said:

That looks brilliant.
I love the façades and especially how their distance to the road varies. The centre staircase is teriffic.

Thanks so much! :classic: I thought it would add more interest to set one of the buildings further back than the other, and it also gave me the chance to build the post office as a kind of corner building with the front door set at an angle and the side wall visible as well as the front.

The main reason I added the block of stairs between each building was to split them apart and make them appear more separate. Originally I didn't have the stair case at all and it didn't look right with both buildings butting right up next to each other.

15 hours ago, Techniccrack said:

dude....awesome is not the right word. i dont like it either..

I LOVE it! beyond awesome!

That's a great comment! Thanks very much! :classic:

11 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

This makes a lot of the regular modulars pale in comparison. Beautifully built, with a lot detailing/little scenes going on everywhere, very likeable characters, lovely subject matter and as bonus a vehicle with a lot personality as well. Simply a great MOC! :classic:

Thanks very much for this lovely comment Littleworlds! :classic: It was a lot of fun coming up with the characters, scenes and other finishes touches, so I'm glad you like it! 

4 hours ago, Good Old Dude said:

Nice modular building.I like your style of building.Good luck in your next projects! :classic:

Thanks very much. I'm trying to come up with some ideas to include in my next MOC. Not sure whether to tackle another modular building next or whether to do something different!

1 minute ago, Bricked1980 said:

Thanks very much Kristel, I'm pleased you like it. :classic:

Thanks. I'm glad you like the van as this is the first time I've created a MOC vehicle and I wasn't sure what sort of reaction it would get. The original idea was to create a lego version of one of these beautiful Morris J Type vans, that were used by the British Royal Mail during the 1950's.

15250640782_5236e2f57a.jpg

As the design evolved though I ended up straying away from this style a bit and the end result is a sort of generic looking vintage van which is only loosely inspired by one of these Morris vans.

Thanks so much! :classic: I thought it would add more interest to set one of the buildings further back than the other, and it also gave me the chance to build the post office as a kind of corner building with the front door set at an angle and the side wall visible as well as the front.

The main reason I added the block of stairs between each building was to split them apart and make them appear more separate. Originally I didn't have the stair case at all and it didn't look right with both buildings butting right up next to each other.

That's a great comment! Thanks very much! :classic:

Thanks very much for this lovely comment Littleworlds! :classic: It was a lot of fun coming up with the characters, scenes and other finishes touches, so I'm glad you like it! 

Thanks very much. I'm trying to come up with some ideas to include in my next MOC. Not sure whether to tackle another modular building next or whether to do something different!

Do you have plans to build it in real life?

Alot of Britishness going on here so of course I approve! :thumbup:

A very interesting design! I really like the variation in the window surrounds, the corner door and staircase which helps break up the buildings nicely! The roof and van are also very well done!

I planned to do a post office someday but this one will take some beating - maybe I won't bother! :laugh:

I would like to see it in real-life bricks! I expect to see an 'offy' and a 'bookies' in the future to add to your growing street!

Well done!

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!

Please put out parts list and instructions.  I will pay - speaking for others, we will all pay for this and Queen Bricktoria!!!!!

2 hours ago, TheFunnyMan said:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!

Please put out parts list and instructions.  I will pay - speaking for others, we will all pay for this and Queen Bricktoria!!!!!

Thanks. :classic: I am hoping to put instructions together for this model and Queen bricktoria as soon as get round to it. 

23 hours ago, snaillad said:

A very interesting design! I really like the variation in the window surrounds, the corner door and staircase which helps break up the buildings nicely! The roof and van are also very well done!

Many thanks snaillad. Glad you like it. 

I planned to do a post office someday but this one will take some beating - maybe I won't bother! :laugh:

I hope you do bother - I would love to see your version of a post office. :grin:

I expect to see an 'offy' and a 'bookies' in the future to add to your growing street!

Ha ha great idea. And after that all that will be left is Costa Coffee and Poundland, then I'll have a complete British high street. :laugh:

On 04/06/2018 at 12:50 PM, Techniccrack said:

Do you have plans to build it in real life?

I certainly would love to at some point. Problem is I would also like to build my other modular, the queen bricktoria. The question is which one to buy the bricks for first? :sceptic:

Edited by Bricked1980

28 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Thanks. :classic: I am hoping to put instructions together for this model and Queen bricktoria as soon as get round to it. 

Many thanks snaillad. Glad you like it. 

I hope you do bother - I would love to see your version of a post office. :grin:

Ha ha great idea. And after that all that will be left is Costa Coffee and Poundland, then I'll have a complete British high street. :laugh:

I certainly would love to at some point. Problem is I would also like to build my other modular, the queen bricktoria. The question is which one to buy the bricks for first? :sceptic:

I say both:)

I would also add to the list of people willing to pay for the instructions and parts list for this and your pub moc. Both excellent quality - well done :)