Didumos69

42083 Bugatti Chiron - MODs and Improvements

12 hours ago, LegoHoops said:

42795019755_6a14a909cd_z.jpg

By using a Lift-Arm 1x2 with Bar (@ 45 degrees) - Part #85940

I still cant quite follow how it was done, but I at least have a guess now. It helped a lot that I looked up the part you suggested. I had completely forgotten that they had made that part, and I don't think I have any in my spares. I am working on an alternative based on the parts I have, but I don't need the solution right away as I only work on the model a few minutes a day. I won't get to installing the calipers for another couple weeks. 

Thanks for the information. If you get the chance to take another picture, how about one that is not blocked by the break disk please.

On 7/26/2018 at 2:57 PM, ctx1769 said:

www.autocar.co.uk

This takes to what appears like a main, home page, but that is it......

On 7/26/2018 at 3:48 PM, jb70 said:

The first release of the "Pimp up my Bugatti" project is available on https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-16181/jb70/42083-pimp-up-my-bugatti.

640x453.jpg640x452.jpg

Thankx for your contributions and have fun to pimp up your Bugatti!

jb70. fantastic compilation of the tweaks so far.  Would you consider this essential upgrades from the base instructions?

If you continue working this, Please include the improvements to the lower doors that continue the "C arc" as LegoHoops and ttoobbyy have done...looks much nicer than the sticker currently there!

The lithographer Harald Günther has done it again. This time he has made printed parts (I hate stickers) for the Chiron. They don't come cheap, at 70 Euro for the set, and I noted while the shop displayed in my native language, the checkout process was in German (Deutsche). So, you may need your favorite translator, and definitely bring your wallet.

http://www.steindrucker.com/printed-parts-for-buchi-420583

0003013-printed-parts-for-buchi-420583.p

(Yes I know he made a typographical error in the set number, that is how it is listed, not my mistake)

@jb70 (and others who contributed so far). I have build the pimp up my Bugatti and I found it more playable than the original version as the slack is less (of course). Thanks.

One quick question is about the paddle shifter setup.

I have built everything as per your pimp up version and notice that pulling the right lever towards the driver is actually a downshift action (W16 engine moves faster) whereas
pulling left lever towards the driver is actually a gearshift action (W16 engine moves slower).

Isn't that the reverse of a real car? Right paddle is a + and Left paddle is a -?

Is there a quick fix or should I try to mirror the gearbox so that 8->1 becomes 1->8?

8 hours ago, stevenhalim said:

I have built everything as per your pimp up version and notice that pulling the right lever towards the driver is actually a downshift action (W16 engine moves faster) whereas
pulling left lever towards the driver is actually a gearshift action (W16 engine moves slower).

That's how it's supposed to be. In the real car let's say when you are in 1st gear doing 6000rpm you will go around 50km/h, 6th gear on 6000rpm = 250km/h. So with a model when you are pushing it at constant speed (same as the real car) the engine will spin faster in lower gear. For example: 50km/h in 1st gear = 6000rpm, but 50km/h in 6th gear = 1000rpm.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:23 PM, pagicence said:

Here is a MOD idea for you, that i found online.

That looks horrendous. They've photoshopped 2 vehicles of different scales together as what you have there is the lovechild of a Chiron and an F1 car ...

the problems this would have is ... poor (non-existent) turning circle, really weird long suspension arms for the rear, terrible aero for the exposed wheels (an F1 car has exposed wheels from the start and the aero is designed around the turbulence created from these) .. also what engine would this have ? if you put an F1 engine in the back it would be tiny

35 minutes ago, pagicence said:

That's how it's supposed to be. In the real car let's say when you are in 1st gear doing 6000rpm you will go around 50km/h, 6th gear on 6000rpm = 250km/h. So with a model when you are pushing it at constant speed (same as the real car) the engine will spin faster in lower gear. For example: 50km/h in 1st gear = 6000rpm, but 50km/h in 6th gear = 1000rpm.

Yeah I understand this.

My question is why pressing right paddle (towards driver seat, which also simultaneously push away the left paddle in this model) causes a "gear down" action (engines moves faster when model pushed at constant speed along the floor).
(and the reverse for pressing left paddle).

Isn't in real car, pressing right paddle should be "gear UP/plus" and pressing left paddle should be "gear DOWN/-"?

I just tested it again on the currently build Bugatti with jb70 pimp up version.
When I press the right paddle towards driver seat 8+ times (until blocked), I am expecting the car to be at 8th gear (engines moves slowest when model pushed at constant speed along the floor)... but no... the engine moves at the fastest rate...

So is this a bug or I misunderstand/wrongly built something

15 minutes ago, stevenhalim said:

Yeah I understand this.

My question is why pressing right paddle (towards driver seat, which also simultaneously push away the left paddle in this model) causes a "gear down" action (engines moves faster when model pushed at constant speed along the floor).

Isn't in real car, pressing right paddle should be "gear UP/plus" and pressing left paddle should be "gear DOWN/-"?

I just tested it again on the currently build Bugatti with jb70 pimp up version.
When I press the right paddle towards driver seat 8+ times (until blocked), I am expecting the car to be at 8th gear (engines moves slowest when model pushed at constant speed along the floor)... but no... the engine moves at the fastest rate...

@jb70 I believe this is where you come in...

13 hours ago, stevenhalim said:

@jb70 (and others who contributed so far). I have build the pimp up my Bugatti and I found it more playable than the original version as the slack is less (of course). Thanks.

Isn't that the reverse of a real car? Right paddle is a + and Left paddle is a -?

Is there a quick fix or should I try to mirror the gearbox so that 8->1 becomes 1->8?

The function of the paddle shifters in my pimped-up version is exactly the same as in TLG original 42083.

But indeed I was asking me the same question allready. In my real car (Audi A6) shifting up is on right hand paddle and shifting down on the left hand. But I am not sure how the real Bugatti or Formula 1 cars handle this. If you push (not pull) the right paddle, it will shift up.

But nevertheless it no more important for me, because I use the gear indicator for more convenient shifting instead of the paddles.

10 hours ago, jb70 said:

The function of the paddle shifters in my pimped-up version is exactly the same as in TLG original 42083.

But indeed I was asking me the same question allready. In my real car (Audi A6) shifting up is on right hand paddle and shifting down on the left hand. But I am not sure how the real Bugatti or Formula 1 cars handle this. If you push (not pull) the right paddle, it will shift up.

But nevertheless it no more important for me, because I use the gear indicator for more convenient shifting instead of the paddles.

Yes, the paddle shifter in your pimped-up version is the same as original 42083.
It is quite hard to change the setup of knob gears so that the knob gear that feeds to gearbox rotates to the other direction because of structural bracing around central console.

I don't own a real car, but when I play car video games, pushing right paddle is for shift up and pushing left paddle for shift down.
Push right paddle (instead of pull) to shift up will feel unnatural :).

Yeah the gear indicator + shifter is more convenient.
But one day if I have free time and strong will, I may want to mirror the gearbox so that 8->1 becomes 1->8 to make this paddle shifter works like it should.
At least now I know that I didn't built jb70 pimped-up version wrongly.

Finally I solved the "wabbly door issue" by using only these addional parts and flipping 3 dark azure 2x4 liftarms on each door:

800x600.jpg

• The hinge on left side is similar to the 42056 Porsche GT3 RS and adds stiffness to the doors.
  • And I found a clever solution for a self-locking and self-opening door-lock (right side). I am very proud of this :sweet:!.
  • See this video for details.

This solution gives us stable doors locking themself with a nice cloc-sound as it used to be for a Bugatti. It fits well into the original design and keeps the doors in their desired postion aligned with the dark azure body parts behind the doors:

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

I have updated part list and building instructions of Pimp up my Bugatti v1.1.

Thanks @jb70 for improved door mechanism.  I applied it and it works quite well.

I also applied similar to @ttoobbyy continuous grey rigid hose along the bottom.  Gear indicator / switch works perfectly.  Moving the car while switching seems seamless and there doesn't seem to be much lag in piston movement.

pic of my rigid hose on door.  I will order dark azure 1x8 tile to replace the 2 1x4's shown currently.  No stickers applied.

1280x720.jpg

the tube across the bottom of the door looks so much better, i wonder why this wasn't the original solution ?

What length of tube have you used ?

Is there a possibility to seperate the chassis and body like the mod for the GT3?

I built the Bugatti and now I saw that there are mods available, specially for the gearbox. But I don't want to disassamble it completly.

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

the tube across the bottom of the door looks so much better, i wonder why this wasn't the original solution ?

What length of tube have you used ?

If you are asking me, I believe I cut about a 1/2" off the extra 16L tube.  You just need enough removed so the door can open.

1 hour ago, Fgo said:

Is there a possibility to seperate the chassis and body like the mod for the GT3?

I built the Bugatti and now I saw that there are mods available, specially for the gearbox. But I don't want to disassamble it completly.

No, it is not possible with the Bugatti.  Body parts are attached completely separate from each other directly to the frame.

14 hours ago, jb70 said:

I have updated part list and building instructions of Pimp up my Bugatti v1.1.

Cool solution for the doors. I really appreciate you collecting all mods in the Pimp up my series. Thanks! Can’t wait to build this ...

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

Indeed! Difficult to understand...

Has anyone attempted to replace the 5x7 panels on the hood with the 5x11 ones? Can you share some pictures? The 5x11 panels can be taken from the doors.

On 8/13/2018 at 1:43 PM, stevenhalim said:

Yeah I understand this.

It is backwards as it was on the Porsche.  The fix for the Porsche was easy (unhook the arms that turn rotational action into linear action, rotate the arms 90 degrees amd reattach - this effectively reverses the direction).  For the Chiron gearbox, it"s much more complex and my 2nd mod after the doors.

It is odd though that Lego have got it wrong on both models.

On 7/3/2018 at 1:59 PM, ttoobbyy said:

New front cover and Bracket function.

IMG_2167.JPG

On 8/15/2018 at 4:25 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Has anyone attempted to replace the 5x7 panels on the hood with the 5x11 ones? Can you share some pictures? The 5x11 panels can be taken from the doors.

What do you think of this?

1 hour ago, ttoobbyy said:

What do you think of this?

It looks cleaner and more closed but it feels weird. I feel conflicted.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:55 AM, stevenhalim said:

@stevenhalim, yes, also the real Bugatti Chiron has the "+" paddle on the right hand side:

nohcir-008.jpg

I found an easy solution to reverse the paddle shifter. Just move the knob gear in the paddle shifter unit to the top.

That solves the issue. Now you can shift up by pulling the right paddle:

640x640.jpg