Didumos69

42083 Bugatti Chiron - MODs and Improvements

Step one can't be done that soon. Need to ration my Lego budget (already used for the other 1 June release Roller Coaster).
But I will get Chiron sometime soon.

Meanwhile, my mod requests for early buyers who are more technically gifted:
a. Find a way to put HOG somewhere in the car for playability :O. The front side seems much more complex than Porsche due to AWD.
b. Is the front suspension (now with TWO springs each) really sag??, find a way to make it not sag :O.
c. Ackermann steering? Is there enough space at crowded front suspension for this?
I am aware that with AWD, we may not be able to have good turning radius anyway...
d. Limit 8 reverse to just 1 reverse gear :O...

I already give up motorising any big set even with direct drive bypassing gearbox (experience from 2 years ago and Chiron seems much heavier).

First tiny proposal: replace the blue 3L friction pins holding the front suspension arms with tan 3L frictionless pins to make the suspension smoother. I expect much of the sagging is because of the friction.

3 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

First tiny proposal: replace the blue 3L friction pins holding the front suspension arms with tan 3L frictionless pins to make the suspension smoother. I expect much of the sagging is because of the friction.

And what if friction is actually preventing even more sagging?

Edited by Omikron

MAKE  LEGO SHOP SHIPPING TO LITHUANIA, honestly i hate them, cause right now i want to buy it but i cant, cause no shipment to my country

I plan to first have an openable engine cover.

I have a bad habit of getting to excited and wanting to do too much.

Therefore making it too hard on myself to implement.

So I am sticking to one thing at a time.

How about reversing the spoiler's function? push on it to make something interact with the disk brakes, seems doable.

1 hour ago, TeamThrifty said:

Step one: Buy it!

Agree, then we can go to step two: make proper 7+R transmission, and not something for tractors (they have 16F/16R, 24F/24R transmissions etc...)

custom printed pieces for all the annoying stickers. thats one thing that i would improve :)

@Didumos69 I want to see you put in your version of the W16.

I’d also like to see if anyone can improve the front bodywork with flex axles

@Bartybum I see no reason for engine replacement, in reality the engine is monstrous too. Flex axles on front would ruin the overall picture: nice paneling on the beck, and wire frame on the front... I don't think it would look good.

As for me to change: I would replace the C-lines with LBG pneumatic tubes, and use LBG pin w pinhole connectors as support for them. I know it is bit thicker, but much smoother overall.

And black wheels, maybe from Porsche. If somebody has the chance, could we have a picture about it (of course in the near future, not now)?

@agrof Because his W16 looks way nicer than what they went with, pretty much the only reason. Also, I don’t think flex axles would necessarily ruin the overall picture. Just to replace the god-awful use of fenders on the front. I think it could work if it was appropriately mixed with panels

Edited by Bartybum

Someone needs to source a fibre optic tube to fit the rear light bar, it could light up. You could now make the entire car body dark blue or dark azure in colour. 

I think all the parts needed to do this now exist. If Sariel could publish the parts list this would help. 

30 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

@agrof Because his W16 looks way nicer than what they went with, pretty much the only reason. Also, I don’t think flex axles would necessarily ruin the overall picture. Just to replace the god-awful use of fenders on the front. I think it could work if it was appropriately mixed with panels

If you want to try, than why not. In my opinion it is an OK replica of the W16 made of LEGO parts. It is design thumb rule to follow the same design language for a product to achieve coherent visuals. No offense - sure, You can try it, but it will look very weird with a ton of holes in the front, and almost smoothly paneled on the rear.

19 minutes ago, LucyCol said:

Right hand drive conversion would be interesting.

It was announced that England is going to drive on the right like the rest of Europe as of July 1st, 2018. During a one month transition period - starting today - both left and right are allowed.

3 hours ago, Omikron said:

Spoiler mechanics should be improved 100%

The real wing does:

Up flat, up turned, returns to bottom horizontal, then up.

It is 100% correct.

17 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

It was announced that England is going to drive on the right like the rest of Europe as of July 1st, 2018. During a one month transition period - starting today - both left and right are allowed.

That applies to any BMW or Audi driver.

Going by the available images, my impression is that the 24t gears in the W16-engine sit too tight. LDD confirms this. I think this will give a lot of friction to the engine and could explain the 24t slip gear between engine and DNR.

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

In real life the Chiron needs a separate key to reach his top-speed.

That was taken over by the designer creating this smal grey key, that makes the spoiler/air-break lift up and down.

I think it is a big pitty, that it cannot be placed somewhere in the car..

So I would try to find a place to store it.