Sariel

Hands-on with Power Functions 2.0 elements

AKA Powered Up, because that's the official name. Here's a closer look at the new components from the 60197 train set, this is what's going to replace the current Power Functions system. I'm currently at Denmark and I don't have conditions nor time to test them more thoroughly, please have patience and I will do so next week.

Edited by Sariel

Thanks for the info. 

A pity the turning of the dials isn't the incremental speed control. That's what I expected when I first saw the remote. 

Not sure about the dials. The buttons don't seem to have the speed controls, the dials can just be turned to allow changing of the buttons layout.

Thank you, Sariel for this quick review/look of the new PF elements. It looks we will have a lot of fun with this new system.

I don't like the colour scheme. What's wrong with the two greys? That aside, it will be interesting to see where TLG takes this and what models they design for it.

1 minute ago, Sariel said:

Not sure about the dials. The buttons don't seem to have the speed controls, the dials can just be turned to allow changing of the buttons layout.

Come to think of it, this has to have speed control. If it's full power or off as only options, then it is very easy to throw a train off the track in a normal Lego trackcorner with a normal Lego set train (speaking from experience :classic:). Would be weird I think for a train set's remote. 

I’m expecting this: single short button push, step one speed control, hold button on, full on, additional short presses step up speed by one step, red button for stop.

Same for negative direction

Thanks for the video. That controller does look small. I hope they have some sort of adapter to plug in existing motors. If not, I think I will stick with arduino for my bluetooth controls.

5 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

Very limited battery pack options with only two connections which are not stackable.

Not stackable connectors issue is what worries me the most.

I guess we have to wait for the Technic line to see how it will turn out.

BTW, @Sarielcongrats with your marriage!

Thanks. Update: according to instructions, there are 10 speeds adjusted by pressing + and - multiple times. The dials do nothing except rearrange buttons. There is no instructions for pairing a remote with a receiver, so I fear each remote can be paired permanently to the receiver it comes with.

Edited by Sariel

2 minutes ago, Sariel said:

Thanks. Udate: according to instructions, there are 10 speeds adjusted by pressing + and - multiple times. The dials do nothing except rearrange buttons. There is no instructions for pairing a remote with a receiver, so I fear each remote can be paired permanently to the receiver it comes with.

That would be the worst idea ever.. I can't imagine any replacements if something will come broken. Will you ask about the PU! for Technic line? 

Very nice! Looking forward to experimenting with them too!

Well,

Just now, blondasek said:

worst idea ever

maybe not if you are in the market to sell more PU bricks and controllers. Can you imagine having to shoehorn two of these in a model to get the same functionality we had with the 42030? I’m hoping there is a Double A version with 4 ports coming for the Technic PU version. I think that is a reasonable assumption seeing TLG wants to keep at least the same functionality they have used in the past.  And no official TLG Technic set has ever used more than 2 channels and 4 outputs before. Only aftermarket MOCs have used more than 2 IR recievers in their builds IIRC.

But this also means there would have to be either another 4 channel remote, or the other channels are accessed via the smartphone/tablet app.  Not sure.

Six wires may mean 2 extra for additional stackable channels, so maybe a y connector or w connector to allow multiple motors to plug into a single port. I’m just guessing at this point, but that’s how I would have done it.

15 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

Well,

maybe not if you are in the market to sell more PU bricks and controllers. Can you imagine having to shoehorn two of these in a model to get the same functionality we had with the 42030? I’m hoping there is a Double A version with 4 ports coming for the Technic PU version. I think that is a reasonable assumption seeing TLG wants to keep at least the same functionality they have used in the past.  And no official TLG Technic set has ever used more than 2 channels and 4 outputs before. Only aftermarket MOCs have used more than 2 IR recievers in their builds IIRC.

But this also means there would have to be either another 4 channel remote, or the other channels are accessed via the smartphone/tablet app.  Not sure.

Six wires may mean 2 extra for additional stackable channels, so maybe a y connector or w connector to allow multiple motors to plug into a single port. I’m just guessing at this point, but that’s how I would have done it.

41999 used five including the lights and six if including the polarity switch.

If it's bluetooth then the pairing is probably done by holding the power button on both devices to put them into search/discovery mode, much the same way a bluetooth mouse or headset works.

15 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

I think this will become true or something close to this. Perhaps the new Technic motors come with their own port to plug in another motor. The reason I think they might do this, is because the 90's 9V system ran on 2 wires. So perhaps those 2 extra wires are for hooking up 2 motors with only one connector going towards the BB. 

34 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

41999 used five

But only 2 channels of RC, single IR receiver... I am talking individually controlled motors, not the stack-ability of motors per channel.  The motorized excavator, the motorized Bulldozer, and the Wheeled loader are the only ones using 2 IR receivers per set.

Edited by Bublehead

Ugh, batteries not included. Gotta wait to see how it works.  :sad:

Thanks for the quick hands-on. :classic:

I still liked the old PF better. These new PU components are just too weird. I like the old connectors with studs too.

2 hours ago, Sariel said:

so I fear each remote can be paired permanently to the receiver it comes with.

Noooo!

3 hours ago, technic_addict said:

which are not stackable.

That's also no fun.

Thanks @Sariel for the quick review! I'll wait for the next in-depth one, I'd like to more about this PoweredUp! thingymajig...

Overall,first impression is of disappointment... Only 2 ports for two functions, ugly stand-out colors, cannot combine motors... It is bluetooth, which is nice, I guess...

5 hours ago, Kollula said:

If it's bluetooth then the pairing is probably done by holding the power button on both devices to put them into search/discovery mode, much the same way a bluetooth mouse or headset works.

I'm hoping this will be the case.

Thanks for the review @Sariel!

Thanks @Sariel for the update. Seems pretty good. One thing most folks seem to be missing is the smartphone or tablet integration. That could address many of the issues. We need to just wait and see.

Andy D

@Andy D, Nope, already mentioned smartphone or tablet as possible way to access more capabilities... we are in a holding pattern now waiting on more data, just like everyone else.

Notice that the battery box is not Technic compatible, so I imagine that there will be a Technic specific version of PF2 / PU.