Robert8

Pop-Up Book - LEGO IDEAS

Pop-Up Book was approved and will be become an official LEGO set!

5475962-Fan_Model_-_Not_Final_Product_Gr

For me, the most exciting part of the set will be the updated Grandma Vistior minifigure

I love it, but part of me is very upset with myself over my procrastination. I’ve had a couple different pop-up books percolating in my mind for literally years, and was planning on submitting them to Ideas. This will be the second Ideas set made from an idea I’ve had myself but didn’t submit (the first being the Beatles’ Yellow Submarine).

That said, I’m sure it’ll be a great set, and I’m looking forward to seeing the final product.

It's not for me, but it is nice to see another one with some originality getting through.

Meh.  I liked the fishing theme houses better, but unless the first one sold extremely well, I wonder what kind of a market there would have been for them. 

Let's hope the next wave has something more exciting. 

5 minutes ago, gylman said:

Let's hope the next wave has something more exciting. 

Well, you can already know what the possibilities are...

5475952-5417026-Projects_in_Review-GrVLd

24 minutes ago, MandyNeko said:

Do they only select one at most per round? Or is there a chance they'll pick multiples in fall 2018?

There is always that chance; indeed, they’ve approved multiple projects to become sets in the same review on no fewer than five separate occasions already - the Birds and The Big Bang Theory projects were approved simultaneously, as were the Doctor Who and WALL•E ones, the Caterham and Adventure Time ones, the Yellow Submarine and Apollo Saturn V ones, and the Ship in a Bottle and Voltron ones.

Quite a few of us were hoping they’d approve multiple projects from this last batch, in fact. I think lots of us were both expecting and hoping for the Pop-Up Book, and several of its supporters (such as myself) were hoping they’d also approve some of the others, such as another one of RobenAnne’s marine buildings. I’d have been delighted if they’d just gone ahead and approved everything, really.

Love sets with clever engineering like this. The last IDEAS kit I picked up was the Yellow Submarine, but I'll definitely be getting pop-up book. Hoping it's $30 or less.

Edited by TWRAddict

5 minutes ago, TWRAddict said:

Love sets with clever engineering like this. The last IDEAS kit I picked up was the Yellow Submarine, but I'll definitely be getting pop-up book. Hoping it's $30 or less.

Oh, I think it’ll be quite a bit more, as it’ll probably have lots of pieces. In the announcement video they talk quite a bit about its customizability, and also show the box size it’ll get (!), so I’m thinking it’ll have quite a lot of extra parts for multiple builds.

Its really an excellent ideas-project. When I saw it the first time on the website, I was almost sure it would make it into an official set. I am also happy that they kept the modular approach. I think that is a crucial aspect of the set. It possibly also will hike the price up significantly.:wink: But, ah well - its never perfect, isn't it?:laugh:

It may also mean very good news for classic-castle fans, since it looks like it is going to contain quite a number of castle-related pieces and I definitely expect a couple of medieval-style Minifigs as well.

I love the random stuff that LEGO Ideas produces (remember the maze!), and this one promises to be interesting.  :thumbup:

12 hours ago, Robert8 said:

For me, the most exciting part of the set will be the updated Grandma Vistior minifigure

Are we certain that only the Red Riding Hood theme will carry on over to the final product? Could we perhaps see the option to build multiple alternate themes within the contents on the finalized set? After all, there were other narrative options presented in the pitch for the project.

9 hours ago, MandyNeko said:

Do they only select one at most per round? Or is there a chance they'll pick multiples in fall 2018?

I certainly hope the latter will be the case! :purrr:

Edit: Here's a new interview @L@go did with the designer of upcoming finalized version of the project!

New Elementary - LEGO® IDEAS POP-UP BOOK: EXCLUSIVE SAMUEL JOHNSON INTERVIEW 

Edited by Digger of Bricks
Added new interview link.

I guess this is the place to post this. A little red riding hood figure leaked from the story book that includes Lloyd’s hair hood combo piece from the lego ninjago movie in red along with a printed skirt piece 

6 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

I guess this is the place to post this. A little red riding hood figure leaked from the story book that includes Lloyd’s hair hood combo piece from the lego ninjago movie in red along with a printed skirt piece 

Dang, all those newly recolored and/or printed parts do look pretty sweet; but, as a whole, I don't think that skirt in particular works very well on the figure. If you were to exclude that and reuse it elsewhere (as it is a pretty nice part by itself), I think she'd look a little better. 

I do wonder what other figures we may expect from this set? :shrug_oh_well:

So this is still happening? Seems a little odd since we just got 40291 a short time ago, which in my opinion was a better looking set. 

Oh god!

She looks amazing!

But I'm not sure about about the skirt

I mean the print looks beautiful but I'm not sure if I like it for Little Red Riding Hood

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

But I'm not sure about about the skirt

I mean the print looks beautiful but I'm not sure if I like it for Little Red Riding Hood

Exactly, as the Dark Turquoise seems to take away too much from the fact that she's supposed to be Red Riding Hood. Plus, the width of it just doesn't pair well with the cape.

The Grandma minifigure leaked. You can find her in the usual places. Very excited too see the set. Ideas has had nothing too interesting to me this year so this is a breath of fresh air. 

I'm surprised they included her since she wasn't in the original project.

It looks ok. Little Red Riding Hood is clearly the highlight here

I wonder if the Woodsmen and the Big Bad Wolf will also be included, and how many other story book characters.

Thank you all very much for the info! :classic:

This supposably will be one of the very limited number of Ideas sets I might be buying. Since it isn't only a neat idea, but for sure will look great.

At least the grandma and esp. redcape look amazing! :wub:

3 hours ago, Dr.Cogg said:

I wonder if the Woodsmen and the Big Bad Wolf will also be included, and how many other story book characters.

I bet that there won't be more than three minifigs, maybe even only two. But having the Big Bad Wolf included, too would make the set much more appealing.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter